2011 Bmw G650gs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Blue&Yellow, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I fitted a Boosterplug to my XCH and it smoothed out the motor quite a bit. It may work the same on your motor as well.
  2. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    It does and I hear ya. But going down that path of the argument assumes the failure either isn't a G fork or the picture is a fake. If you accept that that is not the case, than assuming BMW fixed it doesn't make sense any more. I believe that even a big hit should have the axle come off, but instead bend the forks. All other forks that I know off have that happen.

Good looks
    [​IMG]
  3. g4string

g4string n00b

Oddometer:
    Who makes the panniers pictured?? The BMW ones I have been looking at seem different. Are the panniers pictured Euro only? I would rather have the ones pictured than the ones with the silver sides.

Attached Files:

4. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats the BMW factory ones for the new model, the silver sided ones are the earlier f650 singles
  5. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, the guy I asked begining of June said 'weeks not months' that was 4 weeks ago though :)

I have the 2011 catologue, they are in there and the new number for them is 300-5555 ..this doesnt show yet on the German site.

The man did finally however admit the earlier black powder coated ones will fit (I knew they would after he told me 4 times no!) So depending on how much longer I may go the balc though I do like the Stainless look and it will match my TT crash bars.

Pivot Pegz have arrived in NZ and I get mine tomorrow :)

Once I get the TT racks I am fitting my old Caribou luggage on which I had on my F650twin and DR650, as per this pic.

Attached Files:

6. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers will check it out. I had 'vibranators' in my DR650 which I kept but they wont fit in the G's bars. They worked well though.
  7. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    How are these holing up to corrosion?

One of the UK rags has had a G for 2 months and there is rusting to the footpeg, centre stand, and bits of the subframe.
  8. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the Pivot Pegz, easy install, look great and feel great 60mm wide!! much better than the small std factory supplied one.

I will be keen to try these out on and off road..while keeping a close eye on my right fork leg !

Attached Files:

9. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the other side..

Tried these out today standing up on a gravel road, defintely alot better control and able to weight the pegs better. Changing gear was a niusance however as the peg is closer so will look at moving the lever or gettinga longer one. Mind you may get used to it.

Attached Files:

10. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a change we had some sunshine so here is another pic of the G :)

Attached Files:

• gs.jpg
      gs.jpg
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers re the pic Joe , must say though your photo's (and ride reports,websites etc etc) are very inpsiring , something for the rest of us to aspire too!

Re the headlamp, I just got a ventura cover for mine, here is a pic, the headlight unit would appear to be the same shape/design as is on the older G650Xchallenge and G650 moto so yes if it is then it is an H4, the part number for the moto's bulb is:
    2 63217162953 LONGLIFE BULB - H4
    03 63217160797 LONGLIFE BULB - 5W

Still havnt been able to find a 2011 GS fiche online yet.

Will hunt out my owners manual though and double check.

PS: Like the stickers you have, will place an order for some soon!

Attached Files:

12. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On max's BMW they have a pic of the old G single but the fiche parts are for the 2011 it would seem (mags and new headlight) so yes same H4 bulb.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=53253&rnd=03252011
  13. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    Hi All-
    First post here! I got a 2011 G650GS a couple weeks ago and have been loving it. It is my first "real" bike -- I had a Rebel back in the day and used to ride dirt bikes oh, geez, almost 20 years ago.

I am fortunate enough to live in Ojai, CA, which is a small town in a valley with twisty mountain roads leading out in all directions. Now I know why we are invaded by hordes of motorcyclists every weekend!

I am just about ready for my 600-mile service already.

Quick question: my dealer recommended not using synthetic oil until at least 10,000 miles (if ever) to allow the rings to seat properly. I know this was the case with many cars some time ago, but does it still hold true for this engine?

Can you recommend a good oil & filter for my first oil change?

Thanks in advance, and I hope to be around here quite a bit!

Attached Files:

14. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    how odd...
    is this an evil twin to the X-Country?
  15. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Is BMW making this recommendation or is this your mechanics idea?
    Many modern bikes and cars are now delivered from new with synthetic oil.

I'm old school and believe rings still take time/miles to develop 100% compression. The OEM's will tell you a motor is fully bedded in, in 500 miles. I'm not quite there ... But 10K miles is absurd ... especially for a 650cc single. This isn't a 1973 R75.

I would continue with conventional, non synthetic oil until 4000 to 5000 miles at the very longest. I'd advise riding the bike a bit hard after about 1000 miles. By 4000 miles it will as broken in as it's ever going to get. But if you never rev it ... it may never fully break in properly, IMO. Let her sing, and vary RPM and load.

If you're worried about synthetic oil ... just run a semi-synthetic blend. Plenty of excellent choices out there. Your bike is liquid cooled and will do just fine with semi-synthetic oil, (motorcycle specific). Should be a 100,000 mile motor with any luck. Have fun, ride safe out there.
  16. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the advice. I come here (humbly) from the world of cars where I swear by synthetics when administered properly. The aforementioned advice came from my local BMW dealer.

Another motorcycle n00b question: Is there motorcycle-specific motor oil? Perhaps they require different additives or something? Or do I just get some good 20W-50 dino oil, the appropriate filter, and go for it?
  17. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would go with what the BMW manual says myself.I cant remember what it said and mine is under my seat so will pull it out over the weekend.
  18. MarkWAau

MarkWAau I like roast chicken

Oddometer:
    :deal 2011 manual states:

Viscosity classes recommended by BMW Motorrad:
    SAE 10W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -20C)
    SAE 15W-40, API SG / SH / JASO MA (greater than or equal to -10C)

Oil grades:
    BMW Motorrad recommends not using oil additives, because they can have a detrimental effect on clutch operation. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 10,000km. Please do not hesitate to contact your authorised BMW dealer if you have any questions relating the choice of a suitable engine oil for your motorcycle.

Sounds pretty straight forward...
  19. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think they stopped making the X Country/X moto/X Challenge a year or so ago.

So maybe not the evil twin but more back to the future as it is pretty much the 05- 09 model F but much needed updated cosmetics.
  20. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    10,000 kms is approx 6250 miles. So after 6000 miles you can start using synthetics if you deem necessary. I have never used the stuff; i use Rotella T 15w40 in all my vehicles. I have the 2009 G650GS with 19,000+ miles, no problems.