1984 YZ490 project!!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by RUSTYtankerBEAN, Jan 21, 2013.

1. RUSTYtankerBEAN

RUSTYtankerBEAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked this up for $550.00 ...I know many of you will say that it was money wasted because the YZ490 is a pile of crap but I think with the right mods it will be great. I am a sucker for big bore two strokes and after owning 2 CR500's I figured giving this redheaded step child a chance was my calling. The plan is to send the head and cylinder off to Eric Gorr and have the "head mod" done along with some slight porting. New plastics and seat cover is also in the works. I figured I would post up some pictures of it, I still have not seen it in person but my buddy picked it up for me and said the guy started it in 3 kicks and ran ok but not great. I should have it within the week and I am looking forward to it. Here are some pictures of it my buddy took for me. Any input from yz490/IT owners would be great.

Aaron

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Buy!! Theres some 490s for sale here western New York. $1000 for each!!:eek1
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's an awful lot of fans of that bike. getting the power delivery sorted along with precise jetting it'll be a blast.
  4. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Very nice bike. I got a 1983 Yamaha YZ490 for $150. I am trying to create a Broc Glover Replica. I removed the engine, split the cases (oh boy did I get lost in the gear box), I am about to Paint the Motor and then button her all back up. I have to get some White Side Panels.

I really like your bike. The 1984's have more in common with the newer YZ490's. Mine has the offset Exhaust Mount where as yours is a Center Exhaust Mount on the Cylinder thus you can use any 1984 thru 1989 Cylinder where as I only have the option of the 1982 and 1983.

Once again Very nice bike.

My Bike:
    http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/1983-Yamaha-YZ490,36196/1983-YZ490-001,47673/Mixon848,25684
  5. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i've been on the lookout for an 84/85 yz/it490 for cheap for a while. haven't seen one come up cheap and close by yet. eventually..
  6. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Seems like a great deal for that bike. I'll be :lurk
  7. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Can't wait to see more :evil

I have an air cooled 84 CR500 and it was a "ping king" like most of the YZ490's. I like the Eric Gorr head mod but the biggest game changer for me was the 39.5mm Keihin PWK and a lot of fine tuning with different needles. I have not had it in the dunes yet but as far as trail riding it has not pinged since. I can't recommend that carb enough if you can find one for a decent price jump on it.
  8. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey that's a really nice bike!

I want to see more on this one too! Keep us updated on your progress!
  9. RUSTYtankerBEAN

Oddometer:
    I got a buddy for my 1984, I figured a 1986 yz490 could keep it company. This one has retarded compression...go figure the kick start springs are shot...and it kicks back like a mule...Notice the "Seize King" stickers haha!. Anyway just thought I would share. I will start tearing into them this weekend, although it will be a slow process. Here are some pictures of it. It also has a rear disc conversion. Is anyone part of the YZ490 yahoo group...I have been waiting for my membership approval and its been 2 weeks whats the deal with that?

Aaron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I am a member of 2 different YZ groups at yahoo. YZ Balls took like a full month before I obtained approval. I haven't signed in for a while. I need to go sign in one of these days and post some updates.

I used to have a 1987 Yamaha YZ490. Always wanted to do the Rear Disc conversion. There was a nice article in a Dirt Bike Magazine years ago that explained how to do it. Wish I still had the 1987 YZ490, but I think that my 1983 Yamaha YZ490 Broc Glover Replica will be all I need when it is completed.

Both of your bikes are really nice. I love the YZ490's. I am a huge fan. I want a 1992 Yamaha WR500 to add to the garage also. Then maybe I will be done adding bikes for awhile. :evil
  11. RUSTYtankerBEAN

Oddometer:
    Well I officially rode my first YZ490!! WOW!!..the best way I can describe it is "Violent Paint Shaker"!! If I blipped the throttle while sitting on the seat it would vibrate enough to make my vision cross. As I got on it in first it seemed to load up pretty bad and burble so I cleared it out and shifted into 2nd and everything happened really fast! The front wheel climbed just about vertical and luckily my untested rear drum brake tamed it down...I then took it through 3rd and 4th and each time the same thing!!! This thing is AWESOME!!!

Do you have any pictures of your YZ490 athomerecords25?
  12. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    My son on mine 20 years ago in Colorado. Someone mentioned "voilent paint shaker" and that pretty much sums it up, excluding the Fred Flintstone brakes. This bike was an absolute hoot to ride. :deal

[​IMG]

Good luck!

:lurk
  13. RUSTYtankerBEAN

Oddometer:
    Awesome picture!!!!
  14. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    That's some cracking 490 there. Any backgound on this bike?

Nice photo BTW, where is this?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  16. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    just a bike that caught my eye. taken at Unadilla VMX last june.
  17. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes these things are monsters in the power department. That is why I am purchasing a 2nd Cylinder and having Eric Gorr detune it. I want a more broad, torquey power range.

I don't have any pics of it back together with all of the parts on it. It should be completed and put back together minus the White OW Side Panels within 2 weeks.

Pics a few months back:
    http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/1983-Yamaha-YZ490,36196/1983-YZ490-001,47673/Mixon848,25684
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check all the engine mounts for torque. yep use a torque wrench.
  19. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I didnt go last year but am near certain to be there this year.

An old friend and racing buddy will be going with me. I've been working on another YZ465 for him to ride, We went in the '70's and so are really looking forward this.

Maybe we will see you there!
  20. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    Great story Kev.