MOD F800/F700/F650 (twin) GS side stand foot

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by toowheels, Dec 23, 2010.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not using anything right now, other than your standard rock or stick, because every side stand footprint enlarger I've seen is a lot of money for not much of a gain in footprint size.
  2. Bushav8r

Bushav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to make my own using multiple layers and sections of metal, but yours is a much more elegant solution. I will definitely buy one as long the price isn't outrageous.
  3. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Anyone else out there had problems with their side stand foot disappearing?

Any other thoughts on a higher version and how high it should be?

Happy New Year to all and best wishes for a great riding year!! :ricky

See you out there!

Dave
  4. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I would buy your sidestand footprint enlarger in a heartbeat if it meets this three points:

1) Cost, keep it low.

2) Diameter, make the footprint be as large as possible without interfering with center stand and/or other bits when the sidestand is up.

3) Height, make it as high or higher than the BesRest version.
  5. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I disagree with point number 3. If the footprint keeps the bike from sinking then you don't need to have the bike more vertical.

I've found too many times that I've had to dig a bit of a hole with my heel to get the stand down. I'm thinking if your bike is leaning over too much then BMW might have the wrong stand on your bike. They made that mistake with mine.

Mark.
  6. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I agree with Mark if the foot print makes the bike stand too straight it makes it difficult to park on an angle or hill if you have to....even where I park at work with my TT foot print used to be interesting trying to get the bike to the stand. Now it is easy since I bent the footprint on my road trip this summer.:wink:
  7. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll agree with others about the height. Don't want to have it be as high as the Best Rest Puck Up. Had one of those and felt it was too high. Have the TT one now and it works pretty well. Just make it so we don't have to tilt too far to the right to deploy the sidestand. I guess that would be the leading edge of the plate.
  8. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Well personally I like the height of the BestRest one, but if the majority doesn't then x #3.
  9. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Just our o2 worth having now ridden the bikes fully laden for a while - note F798's. We have the Altberg foot enlarger and one of the issues is that it sticks out in front of the foot.

The result is that when putting the stand down the front of the foot tends to dig into the dirt and for Sally it's too hard to lean the bike over to the right far enough when it's fully laden with gear.

If I was designing one it would extend the foot only to the rear (and as much as possible) and leave the front (when viewed with the foot fully down) as close to original as possible.

We also find that even on level ground the bike has a lot of weight on the stand even though the Altbergs add about 4mm height, but that could be because we have a different stand completely... not sure.
  10. CycleRider

CycleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Below is another type of foot that I found on Amazon.com.

It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I thought the idea of having extensions that can be collapsed, under the foot, could allow for a larger "foot print". I know that I am not explaining myself very clearly, bit having additional layers that can be rotated out would prevent it from interfering when it is in the "up" position, and optional layers that can be used only when you need them.

I think what you have done so far is classy. It has that quality look like the rest of your products.

Foot.jpg

T...
  11. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike!

I'll have to get a better look at the F798 version...I know that originally they were mirrored imaged. :huh

Are you implying that you would like a thicker one then in that last paragraph?

Thanks everybody for the feedback!!

Here's where it's at:

1. It will definitely be cut down in the right spot to facilitate raising and lowering the stand. That was decided about 10 seconds after installing it.

2. It's going to have a bigger footprint than the proto you've seen so far. It will be added to the rear sections where it won't cause any issue(s).

3. We're working with a "locking mechanism" so it won't disappear...except under a crash situation where it will be designed to have minimal impact on the side stand so as to not tweak it. It's a pricey solution but it's sooo coool! :deal It'll be on proto two. Some people may want to spread it to other offending loosening bolts on their bikes.

4. Trying really hard to keep the cost down which also begs the question:
    Do you want it black or is naked fine? If it's black it's going to be powder coat like our current products. Probably the fine textured version of the black.

5. Stock low version first which adds about 2mm...possibly high version after. The adjustable height "on the fly" idea that you mention RideABeam by the way is an idea that was being played around with...very hard to keep the cost in check then though. I knew exactly what you meant when I read it.
    Thanks for the compliment by the way!

The next proto will be done very shortly and we'll see how it all pans out...stay tuned to the exciting side stand foot :huh developments!

Thanks for all the great feedback so far everybody!! Keep it comin!

I'm going to get this thread moved to Vendors now since this is going ahead.

Thanks again,

Dave
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    don't powder coat it...keep the cost down and we can paint our own if we want. I touch up my TT when it needs it!
  13. toowheels

Oddometer:
    That's the answer I was hoping for!

By the way where and how did your TT one bend?

Thanks,

Dave
  14. soph9

Oddometer:
    I can take pic at another time but I think it got bent on our trip when I got stuck on a rock on some off road somewhere....I jammed my bike, not sure. I noticed the bend one time I looked down.
  15. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    G'Day Dave, Yes definitely with the Altbergs which give 4mm extra the bikes have a lot of weight on the stand, mine extremely so with Wilbers shock with extra travel and so a little higher, Sals bike has standard length shock with the front forks lowered 20mm through the triple clamps and the side stand lean angle is still a bit too much when the bike has a load on.

So talking to Sal just now to make sure I understood she says, 1) the angle is too far for her to pull it up off the side stand ( I often have to give her a hand) and 2) the front extension of the foot makes putting the stand down realy difficult on a surface that is anything other than flat as the front of the extended foot digs in to the dirt as it swings down.

I guess it's all a compromise, but the message should be that one size does not fit all and the perfect solution will have some customisability, tough one to design and manufacture though.
  16. Xskydiver

Xskydiver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was actually going to go the other way. Maybe a powder coated one for an additional charge..?
  17. digdesign

digdesign Hack

Oddometer:
    I'd prefer naked too. Seems like powder coat wouldn't last long on it.
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    powder coating on this does not stay...one will need to do touch ups no matter what. not worth the extra $$ for this accessory IMHO
  19. The Griz

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Which is one reason why we went for the Altberg product, as it's made from stainless plate. Best material for a side stand foot IMHO.