Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. EJV

EJV Jeep. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a spare ADV sticker for your new ride Larry.

PM me. I'll mail it.

(Or EuroTrash night when it starts up)
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    OH SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek1

That sucks Larry!
  3. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Meef,

Days off aren't guaranteed....they are earned. We are all only as good as yesterday. Thank you corporate America.
    :komet
  4. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:

Mmmm, yeah, did you get that memo about the TPS reports, Adam?

Maybe you need to tell the Bobs how it is around there.
  5. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, I wouldn't say I have been "missing" work. :lol3 That movie is a classic.
  6. mic_detonator

mic_detonator ride

Oddometer:
    uhhh yeah i just went to work on my fuggin day off today! Have you seen my stapler somebody stole it and i really like my stapler, it's a swingline.

true story my boss is kinda like that with his tape dispenser, i've stolen three of his. :lol3
  7. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Thanks....A good ADV rider always carries a spare. (I have one just encase a tree would fall on my van.) Can you belive it took out the whole back window and left the sticker in tacte?:eek1
  8. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Wait Larry, we agreed that 2011 was going to be a better year than 2010. :huh Are you trying to break that agreement?

How bad is the damage? If it's the tree that's off to the side of the drive I can't imagine it's good.:cry
    Edit: Nevermind, Byrons photos just loaded.
  9. mobyfubar

mobyfubar cd /;rm -rf * Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crap, sorry to hear that, Larry. I guess I'll stop whining about just having the power out for a few hours last night. :norton
  10. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    RoadRat, Your van really got it good, lots of wood on the ground up here but nothing that big!

Flat as a pan cake! Even the water can't run away
  11. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me just throw a n00b question out here. I want to get a light bike to ride around on gravel roads and dirt.

I like the look and feel of the Honda CRF230M, but would like the tires and wheels off the Honda CRF230L. (I don't care for the red and white paint scheme on the CRF230L.)

The bikes look identical except for paint and wheel/tire size. I see that the rake/caster angle is different, but don't know if that's just because of the different wheel sizes.

Just for talking, what would be wrong with getting a M and swapping out the wheels and tires off the L?
  12. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    There are a few differences, but they're slight. There is some geometry difference for better street handling. This discusses them:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2009-honda-crf230m-review-88686.html

Nothing wrong with your plan, if that's how ya wanna go...it'll work fine with dirt wheels and vice versa. Gearing on the M is different, btw, so might re-think sprockets if you're offroad with it.
  13. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Swingset, nice link.

Let me take my question one step further, what about just putting knobby tires on the M wheels? I'm not planning on going moto-crosing, I just want to ride gravel roads.
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    It's doable, but I bet you'd have to mount a rear tire on the front to fit the rim size.

A better compromise might be just using street oriented dual sport tires like the Shinko 705s on the motard wheels.

The downside is you loose that big 21" front wheel which really makes riding gravel easier.

Another option is to buy the CRF-L and then swap plastics between it and the M, you could resell the plastics and pretty much break even there.

I'm not really to keen on the CRF230, it seems really underpowered... any thoughts on the WR250R or KLX250S? They aren't stump pullers either but they seem better suited for the task at hand. My WR has 10,000 miles now, and my previous KLX had 10,000 before I traded it in... no real trouble to speak of and fun for every mile...
  15. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't what you asked, but how about the CRF230F? Platin' a dirtbike in Ohio is way easy.
  17. QUICKDRAW

QUICKDRAW Bug Murderer

Oddometer:
    To all those riding single track/XC mountain bikes... can you help me make a decision on wheels. I broke my front hub, so am going to upgrade my 10 year old DEAN to disc breaks and a newer fork. I am having trouble deciding on a set of wheels that will fit my purpose, mostly because things have changed so much. I am looking for a set of 26" wheels (will go custom if needed) that will hold up to this hard cranking fat ass. I don't want down hills rims, but I am sick of blowing tubes and bending the shit out of the rims over a 3 foot drop. So... Any advice as to what hubs to stay away from, or which to choose from, as well as spoke/rim combination recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me, or hit me off list.

Thanks,
    -Shawn
  18. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I have no idea but I'd love a chance to find some good mtn bike trails around Columbus or near me. Paved rr tracks sux. :D
  19. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there something wrong with that? My Aceliner 502 is probably older than I am and has been with me for the past ten years. I'd be pissed if it disappeared from my desk.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220677339890
    My tape dispenser isn't all that special, but I'd be bummed since there is never a spare in the supply room.
  20. mynamewasmud

mynamewasmud Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had put WTB wheels on almost every bike I've owned. At 210 to 250 lbs banging over rocks and roots, they take a beating but held together as well as any other wheels. The hubs are another story.