Cheap LED lights on sale on Amazon

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Butters, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    My lights arrived today. Here's my impressions:

Quality seems fine, especially given the price. We'll see if they last.
    As discussed, they're a bit over 4.5". They are quite heavy, maybe 3 pounds each. I bought them for my truck, but I wouldn't put them on my thumper. Maybe a bigger bike or ATV they'd be fine. But they are pretty heavy to be bouncing around offroad. The brackets seem strong and they'll need to be to control their weight.

I powered them up quickly in my lit garage and they're bright. Not shockingly bright given their size. Maybe as bright as my ADVmonster lights, but much bigger and heavier.

The 30 degree spots are pretty broad - more like floods than spots. The 60 degree are more broad, but not 2x as much. I would think the 30 degree lights would be broad enough for anybody wanting floods.

No complaints as they will work perfect for my project (car based). Maybe not ideal for use on a motorcycle though. And they are made in China, so I'm not sure why the vendor compares them to "China junk."
  2. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pictures of the beam pattern?
  3. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Oregon territories (Currently working abroad)
    Sweet deal I bought a 60.degree. One it arrived today I'm mounting it on my TTR to replace the stock headlight

Sent from A bar in Mexico
  4. BlackHawkChief

Oddometer:
    But now I'm looking at buying another to mount on my naked sv what's better the 30 or 60 degree light ?

5. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 60. I'll use thick speaker wire and have a 12V cigarette plug at the other end, needed a low-draw shop floodlight light outside of the truck when in remote places changing KTM oil :lol3
  6. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went out in the garage and did it

Now, I want it to work on my truck or Concours14 cigarette 12V port.

So I gather a scrap 12V plug and cut the end of, enough old speaker wire to go about 3 truck lengths, some heat shrink tubing, soldier, and the FRUGAL waterproof work light.

Here is my junk:

[​IMG]

And here it is after my cutting, stripping, soldering and heat shrinking is done. I also used a multimeter and "ohmed out" to make sure my 12V and grounds were correct.

[​IMG]

And here is working with garage dark, its plugged into the 12V outlet of the Connie14 (engine off). Its so bright I'd back it up if i was really working on a bike/car/tent with it :clap:D:evil:deal

[​IMG]
  7. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    Thanks for that. Now go out to the driveway and show us a couple pics comparing it to the low beams on your pickup/car.:evil
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the 60 "flood", it won;t compare to the low beam. Perhaps the fog lights but still not a comparison. Let me see what I can do :D
  9. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If one were to choose one or two of these to light off the side of a camper van for camping ops, which one would be chosen? :evil
  10. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

If it is anything like the ones that I have, and I'm sure it is, get the 30s. I have the 30s and they have enough 'scatter' to cover the sides, and enough control to put light way out ahead. For me, the 60s would likely be too broad.
  11. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like how it states " CREE type". Does that mean they are not Cree but kinda look like them? :D
    Anyway, good find on the lights guys.
  12. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Sorry - no pics, but I just compared both types inside my garage. My garage is roughly 20'x20'. I set up the lights at the back of the garage and shined them on the garage door. In short, they have almost the same light spread. If anything, the 60 degree round light seemed to have less spread than the 30 degree square light, although the square light might have had a slightly more distinct pattern. With the light on at the back of the garage, the beam almost covered the whole garage door. So from about 20' back, the spread was about 18' for both lights.

So I would probably just buy based upon whether you want a square light or a round light. Also note, I only tested one of each so if there are variances between lights I couldn't tell you. I don't have time at the moment to take pics, but if they are still needed this weekend I will try to shoot some.

In terms of camping lights, either one would probably work really well, especially if mounted high. I'm not sure how well they would work as a headlight replacement because the beam is so broad - at least if you were going to use it on public roads. But for a headlight on the trails they would probably work well.
  13. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. That's extremely helpful info...
  14. BlackHawkChief

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

15. raceu2

raceu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    looks good what did you use for the plastic? Does it light up the bar?:freaky
  16. BlackHawkChief

Oddometer:
    11 gallon trash can cut a shaped to fit
    Just needs paint

[​IMG]

17. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of 8 degree LED lights for $59 and a wiring harness for it with relays for $20

[​IMG]
  18. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pair for my tractor. Eager to see how they perform.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the 30 degree sqwuare lights.

if they are too big and heavy to mount on my 1100gs, I will use them for my fishing boat, or maybe an XR80 headlight.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Got them today.

heavy, bright.

just tested in the back yard against the typical bright flashlights that use 18650 batteries.

about the same intensity, although the gensii lights have a broader spread.

Ill try and get a pic.