BMW Zumo 550 map loading failure

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ReactorTrip, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ReactorTrip

ReactorTrip glows in the dark

Oddometer:
    I just bought a used BMW Zumo and updated the firmware, which was successful. I tried updating the maps from the 08 maps to the 2010 maps and it quits after 73% and says something about network failure. I didn't back up the garmin which was a big mistake, now I can't even enter addresses with it because it didn't get that far in the loading of the maps.

Anyone run into this before?

I tried asking on zumo forums with no response.
  2. Ducman69

Ducman69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even if your GPS is out of warranty, the maps are not. Garmin support is actually very good. The hold time is stupid, but you won't get a guy reading off a script in pakistan, no worries. Put em on speakerphone while doing something else, and they'll get you fixed I promise.
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try running the map update again.

JR356
  4. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the upfrades for mine, first attempt to upload, came up with note sying it was registered to some one else (Warranty replacment with refurbed unit). emailed tech and they canceled existing registration, so I could proceed.
    Did you upgrade the firmware before proceeding?
  5. ReactorTrip

Oddometer:
    firmware has been upgraded successfully. I have tried uploading the maps 3 times. All failures at 73%. Redownloaded the map .exe and tried again twice. Both failures at 73%. Makes me think it is some kind of timeout error or my device is out of memory. The device shows over 300 meg still available, so it doesn't look like that.
  6. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ay be a time out error with yor ISP, or memory issue with your copmputer. Is teh error, during downloading maps to your computer, or during down load to Zumo?
  7. ReactorTrip

Oddometer:
    upload to Zumo

been sending emails back and forth with Garmin, I've downloaded the file several times and tried several things when extracting/building/uploading to Garmin. They are confused. They told me to call them when they open in the morning. Think it will be shipped off for fixin.
  8. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Luck. I have had excellent results with Garmin tech support.
  9. ReactorTrip

Oddometer:
    Apparently I am not alone.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/comments/000534.php#comments

Looks like some people have had success downloading it through IE and finding .img extracted file in the temp directory and manually uploading it to the GPS. I am going to try that. Can't call garmin til tomorrow though.

I don't understand why they take a 1.02 GB img file and make it a 1.9 GB .exe. No reason for that....
  10. ReactorTrip

Oddometer:
    Tried the above, no worky.

Brought it to work and tried the same thing I had been doing since the beginning and it worked. Go figure.... Solution to this problem is try another computer. Whats weird is my computer at home is free of a lot of bugs and issues and various other crap IT run computers are filled with and it is also a ton newer and faster, yet the crappy work computer won the day. LOL!