Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    this just in :(

Noonish on a Saturday in March of 2007 I met Max Pecins at Jax on Edgewater Drive in Orlando Florida for lunch explaining to him I wanted to start a radio program about motorcycles. I had summoned Max as he had worked in the radio industry in the past from DJ to producer, I couldn't spell radio if you spotted me the first three els at the time not sure I could much better today. September 1st a Saturday morning six years ago today at 7 am eastern (awesome time slot for a fishing show not so much for a motorcycle show) with Jared a Full Sail student behind the glass at then ESPN affiliate WHOO 1080 AM in Orlando the mics of Max Pecins as announcer, co-host Jerry Watts, and myself were potted up for the first episode of SideStand Up "The World's Only Motorcycle Radio Road Show". WE WERE OFF! The First Tuesday of that November we teamed up with Talkshoe moving SSU to live stream on the net, the first episode is a hilarious mess still available for down load ( Jerry said to leave it in the archives, I begrudgingly agreed).
    The last six years have be an absolute joy, miles of smiles, witnessed events and vistas I had never imagined, and made a host new friends for life. A rider I miss everyday the late Guzzi Mike Abernathy joined the team during the first year adding his "at any rate" Midwest zing and humor (someday we will ride together again Mike). Starting with Denise Maple the fall of 2008 a corespondent team who expertly covered every aspect of motorcycling accidentally fell into the mix that no other program of any type could match.....bar none. About a year and a half in Grizz "Mike " Newton slipped into the co-host chair over the last four and a half years we have laughed, conspired, had heated arguments over a topic many times on the same side of the issue just from a different view (chuckling) yet laughing at the end of every conversation (I guess you can say we never went to bed mad). I will always be in debt for his tireless work, our looonng late night discussions mapping the future of SSU while solving world problems along the way, being a close confident and great friend. With the generous time and devotion of all of corespondents their topics and guests (who's many names I destroyed), SSU has risen to be the most listened to motorcycle radio/podcast of a talk show format with a global audience. Not one motorcycle show has more listeners in more countries. We have received emails from Korea, Viet Nam, Columbia, Canada, throughout Europe, Africa, and one from Antarctica. We ahve talked live with women and men moto adventurers on the rode from over 30 different countries, nobody has those numbers nobody and it is all due to the SSU team the most passionate riders on the air today. I could not have done anything close alone, I am deeply thankful for their participation and commitment to SSU.
    So now the day is near September the 17th the last live episode of SideStand Up "The World's Only Motorcycle Radio Road Show". Reason? To many to explain. The final decision was not made until last Tuesday evening on my ride from Indianapolis to Kokomo. This isn't the hardest decision I have ever made, it is the most carefully thought through, and by far it is certainly the most emotional. I have treated SSU, our team, guests, sponsors, etc as my child, held her dear to my heart. SideStandUp.com will stay on the net for the next couple of years, the episodes will live on there along with Talkshoe.com, Itunes, And Zune. Will she ever return?..... I hope so in some way I just can't promise. I Hope to see you all September the 17th at 8 eastern for the best damn send off imaginable for a great Lady.
    May the Moto Gods bless us all.
    Live to ride another day!
    Tom
    PS I want to be sure to thank the most dedicated, loyal, passionate advocate, and friend of the show Willy for being there every week. I love you deeply friend.
    TOM loudermilk show host
    http://www.sidestandup.com/Pages/default.aspx
  2. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I rode one. Horrible machine but a hoot to own. Not ride.
  3. sapienwaste

sapienwaste gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Oddometer:
    I know some of you guys in the area had\have a husky 610te. Can I borrow a flywheel puller? I think it's 35mm internal threaded, right handed. Any love?
  4. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    Send a PM to IndyUnlimited for this. He is in Parker and an awesome person.
  5. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    I should still have one in the DAG to.....
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    it's a pre-requisite for living here.....though they did have to let one knucklehead in to keep it real :lol3
  7. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Video a buddy of mine made of us climbing Capitol on Monday:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wbi47Pft4bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. sapienwaste

sapienwaste gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Oddometer:
    Thanks mountain, I've borrowed a KLR Flywheel puller from you in the past. For some reason I keep needing this shit and you keep having it :lol3

Shame to hear about your husky...
  9. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Yeah.. that's pretty much awesome. :thumb
  10. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI - South Park got creamed by the monsoon moisture last nigh. Major flooding and associated damage to CR53. Mushroom Gulch and Trout Creek took a big hit too.

Don't be foolish like me going into the last over the road pile of rocks and mud. You will not get through. Just before you get down to Badger Creek which I would think was a lot worse. Thanks to the Park County SAR and Hartsell Fire district for the rescue out of the pit from hell. Thanks to SPOT for sending my wife the pre-progrmed message that I need some non-emergency help with the bike but it got turned into a big deal as the dispatch asked if I had any pat medical problems. I do with the heart but that was not the message sent. Took them about 30 as they went north on 53 instead of should. Andy from the SAR stopped rather quickly when he first arrived, he just asked - are you the guy we are looking for and are you all right. yes. Yes and He left to call off the emergency and cancel the ambulance from FairPlay of all places but they were about half way down there by now. Fire Truck. Volunteer fighter on disabled list. Deputy Sheriff. Park County road truck but left no sigh going into the section to keep others from making the same mistake and then, they will just get called out again.
  11. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Glad you are OK and that kind of stuff happens. At least you weren't the guy on I-5 in Washington here who got struck by lightning which fried his helmet, but he was pretty much unharmed except for a little temp hearing loss:
    [​IMG]
  12. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    And in keeping with the theme of the above photo:

[​IMG]

Just in case you ever wondered what a helmet looks like after jumping off a mountain side. Dropped about 1200 feet, bounced dozens of times. Held up pretty good, just glad LittleTex wasn't in it at the time.

In searching for the remains, we did find a seat cover for an ATV in the scree, so somebody had a really bad day.
  13. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    The Albany (Wyoming) trail loop seems to get more brutal every year. 20+ years ago it was a ~60 mile loop, about 50% single track. It's now about 80% single track. Most folks would be hard pressed to finish the entire loop in a single day.

With wet logs in the morning, I think everyone went down at least once. If you like riding really, really, really, tight woods, this is the place for you. Most trails were created (with USFS approval) by simply laying out ribbons & cutting a few logs. First & second gear are the norm. Don't wear your good jersey, because it is going to get torn. I think everyone in our group of 6 was sporting tree wounds from the day.
  14. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

Getting old sux huh?:deal:lol3
  15. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    :flip :flip :flip

In this case, the loop is getting harder. Really. C'mon out the last weekend of September if you want to give it a try. Since it's WY, it shouldn't conflict with your aversion to the Front Range. :wink:
  16. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I just looked at my atlas. Albany appears to be east of the CD... NO DEAL!:lol3

TG has been threatening to head that way, if my wife wusses out on a race she should run on the 28th I could be convinced. All my jerseys are already ripped to shreds from the ladies trying to get to the real me so no worries there!
  17. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Jeff, but doing both loops in only one direction has now become passé.. [yawn]

:D
    (Assuming they're still alive. :loco)
  18. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)

Albany is like no other place I have ridden. It is a must place to roll some tires if you can handle technical.

Can you?:rofl
  19. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixd for faminly harmony.:D
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Just got the check in. Brad and Matt (602) are my new heros. One day, both loops, both directions. 160miles and 12+ hours of pure torture. Silverboy on pace, but thwarted by broken toes just shy of finish.

I would put this as the equivalent of 8+ back-to-back loops of 5MoH. Deserves it's own thread, but I'm guessing it'll take a solid week before any of them can use their hands to type.