RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Jan 21, 2009.

1. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hi AZR,

I've used an older model of REV'IT! mesh pants for some riding in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. The airflow is great, but they melt easily if your pipes are exposed (or if you fall over a lot like I do) and be prepared to get really dirty. Mesh pants act like a sort of dirt sieve off road and let the finer dirt and dust through from trail riding.

For hot weather riding, mesh pants, such as the Airwave, are great on the street but would not be my first choice for dirty or dusty off road conditions. You might take a look at something like the new Sand 2 with all the liners removed and the vents open for hot weather riding. The Sand 2 are a great option for street riding and perform in a wide range of temperatures.

Klim makes some great Off Road pants, such as the Mojave or the Dakar pants, if you decide to go that route. At the present moment, REV'IT! does not make a true dirt / off road pant.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  2. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    Hey Zillionaires!

I'm back and forth now on the Rev'it Defender and Sand 2 pants, and would love it if you could take a sec and run down the value vs. performance difference between these two products!

I have the Sand 2 jacket in a medium as I'm 5'10" 160lbs, and the jacket fits perfectly. I took competitors pants off the table since I'd really like them to zip together, and I love the Rev'it! stuff. The latest gen has the perfect slightly edgy style of many an Adventurer. Straight and narrow from the front, and slightly off their kilter from the side... :wink:

(my opinion on the collar topic is "you're doing it wrong." The Sand 2 has the cool sliding snap for the collar. Pin the inner flap open, and slide the snap to it's largest setting and it holds the top of the jacket/collar open so air goes down my back. Sweet.)

Back to the topic:

The Defender is 2X the price of the Sand 2, and while they both look good, have lots of features, is the bad-ass-ness of the Defender really worth it? I ride 3 seasons. I want something for everything, like the jacket. In my head, if the Defender had a GTX shell with all waterproof zippers and vents, then it would be worth the extra quid. The GTX over the Sand liner is really only going to be ahead on lengthy, hot, full rainy days, so isn't really a big whoop IMO.

Thanks!

BTAO
  3. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Dear Bacon... I mean Btao,

It seems to me like you've already made your mind up? But if I can help finalize that decision, I would recommend the Sand 2 Pants over the Defender based on the info you provided.
    The biggest advantage of the Defender GTX are the Gore-Tex layer, the lighter but durable materials and the Exkin Air thermal liner. Since the Gore-Tex feature is less important to you, I would say the biggest sacrifice is in the outer materials. The Defender is lightweight, but very durable. The Sand 2 is comparable, but does not use the same ripstop fabric that I think sets the Defender apart. The Exkin thermal liner is a nice upgrade over the thermal liner in the Sand 2, but the thermal liner is adequate in the Sand 2.

The other debatable feature is the armor. The Defender uses SaS-Tec and the Sand 2 uses Pro Life armor. Personally, I'm not a fan of SaS-Tec over some of the other molecular armor being produced now. The Pro Life armor is the same armor REV'IT! uses in all their race suits, and we've seen Randy & Alvaro test it plenty.

And if you needed one last reason? Style. The Sand 2 Jacket and pants were designed to be a set. The color, materials and pattern lines will match up much better than that of the Defender.

If you still have questions or want to debate in more depth, our Gear Geeks are here to help.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  4. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    I have the Defender jacket and absolutely love it. I'm in the process of switching everything to Gore Tex but I too need help justifying the cost of the Defender pants. I know the quality is there; I'm still wearing my 2007 Dakar pants the exterior of which has held up well and I nurse the old Hydratex liner along a tube of seam seal and a can of silicone camp spray.

Can you compare for me the Defender pant vs the Dianese Bruce and Galvestone and some of the Klim offerings? I may be willing to sacrifice venting to stay in the budget - but Gore Tex is imperative. What would you recommend?
  5. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken,

The REV'IT! Defender has a few advantages over similar offerings from Dainese and Klim. The 2 Dainese Gore-Tex pants you mentioned have non-removable Gore-Tex membranes (Z-Liner construction), which means one less liner to fuss with, but not as light or breathable in hot weather. The Dainese Talos offers similar function to the REV'IT! Defender GTX, but is more designed for touring and less for the abuse of Adventure Touring.
    Klim gear is plenty robust and purpose built for Adventure Touring, but most of their pants are shell's only. Again, fixed Gore-Tex with no thermal liners.

If you are looking for a cold & wet weather only touring pant, Klim and Dainese make some awesome selections. If you are looking for something more true 4-season, with the flexibility of a waterproof drop liner, the Defender GTX are still one of the best options out there.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  7. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Thank you Ali, you eloquently reiterated what I guess I already knew. I can either sacrifice some versatility and upper temp range or shell out for the Defender. I suppose I just needed to hear it. One way or the other, I'll be in touch before my next winter trip.
  8. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Ali, my Dianese Veleta gloves arrived yesterday and I think I'm going to love them. They're more substantial than they look in the pic and they have a strong pre-curved fit that feels good on the grips. I tested them in the low 90's and they were a bit warm but my hands didn't get clammy. I think they will fit perfectly in my glove ensemble between my Dirt and Alaska gloves for the 60 to 80 degree range and for summer rain riding. :clap
  9. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    So many items are out of stock in my size!

Rev'it Gear 2 Pants
    Dainese Bruce Gore-tex Pants
    Rev'it Everest Pants

I hope Revzilla gets some new stuff soon before it begins raining here.
  10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    Hi there Revzilla Rev'it gurus.

I noticed that you have posted a bunch of new Revit videos --so I guess you aren't under "embargo" anymore re: the fall 2013 line-up. I have a Cayenne Pro outfit that I am quite happy with, but am in the market for a vented, Goretex Pro-Shell, pant for touring.

I am liking the Poseidon GTX (it looks like a nice piece of kit)--the pants in particular.
    I hope it is ok if I ask a couple of questions:

1. It looks like the main chassis is 600D Cordura...are there additional abrasion resistant materials in the knees or seat? (I didn't see any mention of Armacor or Superfabric. Or maybe it has dual layers?)

2. Is the 600D fabric rip-stop?

3. In the videos, you didn't mention the "waxed" fabric --what is it, and where is it used?

4. Would you say that the pant sizing is the same as the Cayenne Pro? Is your model in the video wearing a Large regular size?

Thanks!
    (I really appreciate the effort you put into with the videos).

EDIT: I assume that the pics of the pants on your website are of pre-production pieces? For the big Aquadefence thigh vent --the zipper is not water-resistant and runs in the wrong direction compared to what is in the video. Just sayin'... :)
  11. G.Man

G.Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also pretty keen on the Poseidon Jacket and possibly the Pants.

I have a question about the Goretex fabric. I currently wear the Dainese Phillip Goretex Jacket.

I see that the Poseidon is using Goretex Pro. With the Pro breathe better than the standard (ie older and vanilla) Goretex?

Also is the Gore Pro used in the Poseidon, the new version of Gore Pro? Goretex announced that their Pro fabric has been upgraded to allow greater breathability of between 10-28% than the old PRO. And also has ripstop baked in.

Hope to hear from the experts on this.
  12. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested in adding a Seesoft Back Protector to a Medium Sand 2. I know it's type RV, but how are you going to know the size of the protector itself. Is it sized to the jacket or rider?
  13. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    I think it said on a tag right on the pocket of the jacket where it goes. If you have the jacket already....
  14. lookaught

lookaught Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Has anyone altered Rev'it pants to lower the waist? I like the defender pants a lot and they fit me well as long as I don't wear the thermal liner, but the high waist drives me nuts. I'd just prefer a lower waist like Klim pants.

I realize this is not ideal for waterproofing and probably it's better to have a high waist for crash protection, but wearing pants for 14 hours a day makes it a bit irritating... so I'm thinking about having them altered if I can find a competent shop to do the work.

Suggestions?
  15. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Why not just sell them and buy the Klim pants you want? I'd be a player for used Defender pants. What size are they?
  16. lookaught

lookaught Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I've considered that, and the pants are for sale or for trade:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923323

They are 34L. I like the fit of Klim pants but I really also like the liner system in the defenders because when it's hot and sunny they are very lightweight and have excellent vents, whereas the Klim pants incorporate the goretex into the shell so they are a lot heavier. I had planned to buy some Klim Latitude pants to wear for a while and decide if I prefer them, I just haven't found a used set for sale yet. I love the cut I just don't know if I can manage the heavy construction.

...if only the defenders were cut lower.
  17. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an issue with the liners losing their seam tape? After literally less than half a dozen uses the seam tape on the liner from my jacket is both 99% off, the ends are still on but the rest is no longer connected.

Since I have a windproof \ waterproof technical shell jacket that I've always used as the insulating and windproof layer under this jacket the original one was never used. Then a few weeks back I found it and decided to pack it for a road trip.

Aside from the first week or so with the jacket, it's been sitting in the closet for the past year or so.
  18. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Too small for me - thanks anyhow. GLWS
  19. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Lookaught,

The waistband of the REV'IT! pants were not designed to be altered. You could try reaching out to Rainy Pass Repair for a quote, but I might guess it will cost you north of $150 for the alteration. Keep in mind, to alter the pants, you also have to move the full circumference liner zippers and jacket attachment zippers to create the lower rise. This might also affect how the liners hang on the inside of the pants with some excess bunching.

If there is another option for a riding pant that fits your body better, I would say it's easier to throw your Defender pants on eBay and purchase the pants that fit correctly.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  20. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi HaChayalBoded,

Depending on time of purchase, it sounds like you might be eligible for a warranty replacement liner. You would have to contact REV'IT! Sport USA directly, but I know they have many sizes / styles of replacement waterproof liners on hand.

I've had many REV'IT! products and have never had an issue with the seam tape failing. Was the liner ever thrown in a washing machine or exposed to a direct heat source? I'm sure the answers to those questions are no, but I'd also guess that REV'IT! will ask you the same thing.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla