Another Homebuilt Leaner

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by BuiltnotBought, Jun 28, 2013.

1. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Finally have my homebuilt leaner ready to venture out enough to post some pics. Its been about a year in the building phase, last summer was spent building the framework and doing some test runs to work out the bugs. Then over the winter I made the mold for the tub and did the fiberglassing. Finished that up and did the internal framework - to mount the tub/seat/seatbelt (and lighting as well since these pics were taken).

So far this is very much a budget build. The bike was bought on craigslist for $75 as a non-runner with no title. I have about $700 into it getting it legal and in good running order. Then so far with the sidecar I am into it for $800, but still have yet to give the rig and bike a fresh paintjob. So far its about the best $1500 I've ever spent!

Bit of a parts list:
    -Wheel and fender off a Yami something or other that was given to me for free
    -Shock used was for a little CR50 dirtbike, about the lightest I could find
    -Tubing all 1.5"
    -Heim joints were about the strongest I could find, can't recall off hand what the specs on them were
    -Grade 8 bolts all the way around. 5/8" bolts for main attaching points
    -Custom made fiberglass tub
    -LED lighting
    -Seat is a John Deere Gator style seat, we sell them where I work - employee discount! :)

So far I have put maybe a few hundred miles on it with few issues and have taken the kids for a first time spin around the block - which they absolutely loved. Haven't tried to take the dog for a run yet, not sure how she would take it :rofl

Now for the pics. Here's a shot of the framework last year on one of my first trials - keep in mind still in the development stages on this pic. I added more bracing before it was all said and done. The weight was experimenting with some ballast to control the bounce of the rig. It took a couple tries to get a properly sprung suspension for the rig because its so light.
    [​IMG]

Foam mold completed.
    [​IMG]

I had a local boat-repair man help me out with sourcing some of the materials for fiberglassing. Shout out to Ed's Boat Repair! I think it took about 25yds of fiberglass random chop mat, about 3-4 gallons of resin, and not quite a gallon of small chop fiberglass body filler to clean it all up. And LOTS of sanding...
    [​IMG]

Body work almost done...
    [​IMG]

As she sits today (only with lights now)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my favorite
    [​IMG]

Still a few bugs to work out. The rig is so light that slow speed bumps - at say 35mph can cause an annoying headshake, so I will be looking at trying to install a steering dampener. Also want to add a bit of a push-bar grill in front and some lighting there as well. I just have a lap belt right now but a engine rebuild shop we work with gets harnesses out of race cars they rebuild because they are only allowed to use them for so long, they are going to save one for me and I will be installing it before I take the kids on any kind of a long run. And of course like I said, final paint yet to come...
  2. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    Way to go, I like it much.:clap:clap
  3. hahnda

hahnda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I REALLY like the look of that sidecar body.
  4. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too !!!
  5. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I was considering just buying a body, but then I figured the cost to buy one or build one would be about the same except I could make my own look however I wanted:wink:

Just got back from taking the kids each for a little ride around the quieter parts of town, nothing but smiles and waves from all the neighbors :)
  6. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent job!! :clap Love the body!
  7. Hellracer.nl

Hellracer.nl What the hack???

Oddometer:
    Nice build!
    How much lean do you have in right corners?
  8. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I think I allowed for 30 degrees. The way I plan to ride it though its not going to be a corner carver, I just wanted enough so that if I get in a spot where I HAVE to lean it hard I will have the clearance I need. I managed to get the framework made well enough (front mount up about 4") so that it doesn't do anything real funky when I go through the curves.
  9. Hellracer.nl

Hellracer.nl What the hack???

Oddometer:
    It looks like you used quite a lot of steel for the frame. How heavy is it? The lighter it is, the easier it steers.
  10. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you how much it weighs at this point, if I get the chance I will throw it on the scales at work and see, maybe when I do the paint. Steering is not really a problem, biggest problem is the slow speed bumps, but they are mostly just taking some getting used to, nothing that is too bad, just a little annoying.