Fly Trekker Dual Sport Helmet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by underkill, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DougFromKentucky

DougFromKentucky Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer:
    I wear glasses and about a week ago got a FX39. Have just a little trouble getting the glasses on with the helmet on but I am coming from a HJC flip to this helmet. With just a week of wearing the helmet, I find it easier and easier to get my glasses on. I love this helmet btw. For me, no hotspots even when new. Helmet fits properly and I am looking forward to when I get it broke in as I don't care for having my cheeks pressed in so much (not painful, just tight). I bought the AFX over the Fly due to the strap connection on the AFX. It is a tab that goes into a ratcheting thingie. I can hook it up and take it off with my gloves on. Beats the crap out of the double D ring system the Fly uses.

I would buy this helmet again.
  2. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I was under the impression these are the exact same helmets, made by another company but branded for AFX and Fly, except for the ratchet versus d-rings.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I purchased the AFX helmet and like it a lot. It&#8217;s loud though, at least I think so, and especially if there is much cross wind. I don&#8217;t wear glasses. It seems to flow a LOT of air and in fact I get a lot of air across my eyes, even with the vents closed. Not enough they dry out, but still seems like a lot across my face and eyes. I think it&#8217;s to keep the lens from fogging, which it seems to do well. I bought a large and it&#8217;s pretty close to 3.5+ lbs (I weighed it).<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    It fits well and the cheek pads were annoying at first, but seem to fit perfectly after a couple weeks or so.<o:p></o:p>
  3. aim2kill

aim2kill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was also under the impression they were made by the same company...:huh

Either way, I still think it's what I am after. I am pretty used to getting glasses on under a helmet, as I currently have a full face Fulmer. I simply pop the visor open and wiggle them on in! It is probably quite the riot to watch...:D
  4. takman

takman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the AFX 39 version.

I usually fit well into the XXL size HJC and Shoei helmets as I guess I have a rounder head.
    This was not as round a fit, but it's still comfy in size XL.
    The neck strap is totally used up/ cinched as far as the strap allows.
    If you have a small jaw/neck, this may be a concern as the strap may not tighten enough.

I don't wear glasses but I can barely fit Habervision goggles into the opening so I would think glasses won't be too big a problem.

Only been able to do one slow speed ride so no real feedback on the visor buffeting yet.
    Visor is clear as the reviews say, not distortion to my eyes.
  5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All,

They are made by the same factory, using the same shell. I am really, really not sure, just seat of the pants, not certain, please don't quote me because I may be wrong, etc. but I think the Fly version has a different, more round shape to the EPS liner. Important to be really careful with statements like this because so frequently one person describes a helmet shape as oval, while another may say the same helmet is round.

The AFX definitely fits bigger, 100% sure of this. It also seems more oval. I hope to eventually compare them back to back with several testers.

CRSpeedy, were you a Medium in the AFX and a Large in the Fly? Your descrip sounds like this is the case, because that is the shell break.

BP

Hope that helps.

BP
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried on the Fly hemet at Iron Pony. It fit me extremely well for the brief time I had it on. I also tried on a Shoei, but the shape is all wrong for me. I ended up buying a Joe Rocket Hybrid, because of the rounder more standard shape and the fact that it is an HJC, which has historically fit me very well - and it did. I would have gone with the Fly, but the angular shape just wasn't doing it for me. But I think it's pretty darn good in general.

I was checking the shield distortion at the point, for reference. Seems they all have the visors a bit low when flipped and also have some distortion at the point where it contacts the chin bar, but so what. That is where I glance at the speedo and tach so it isn't some major disturbance at this point.

As for glasses, I do make sure the frames fit in helmets before buying the frames. But that won't do jack for glasses you already own. I have read where people are disassembling the cheek pads, trimming foam, and reassembling them with good results both for fit and for glasses.
  7. CRSpeedy

CRSpeedy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the AFX on at Fay Myers, which is a bit of a drive for you. I believe Sun carried the AFX-37 (previous model) in the past, so they may have the AFX-39 in stock now. That would certainly make for a shorter drive for you.

BP, you're right. I was a medium on the AFX and a large on the Fly. For what it's worth, I've always worn a medium in all of my other helmets (Troy Lee Designs, SixSixOne, Shoei). I could have squeezed into a medium Fly, but it was a little too tight for comfort. I didn't have any nose rubbing issues on the medium Fly, though--only the medium AFX.
  8. koorbloh

koorbloh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I accidentally picked up the fly on Saturday (the guy earned my business, and I needed a new lid anyway).

one quick little jaunt was awesome, this is an awesome around town helmet. breathes good, comfy, great visibility.

one commute told me what I needed to know about highway speeds...hey, it has a visor--wind-wise, it's a good compromise between a street helmet and a dirt helmet, but it catches and pulls with the wind once you turn your head to check blind spots.

I wear glasses when I'm not going to be riding, and contacts when I'm going to be riding, and I was able to get my glasses on right in the store, but I couldn't on the quick little ride? I dunno. it's tricky, and I'll be attempting it again, I'm sure :)
  9. fierstf

fierstf girl power

Oddometer:
    I also own the AFX 39 and for the price I like it. I ordered it online and I was told that sizes run a bit large so I decided to stay with a medium helmet. I can't compare it to the Fly since I have never tried one on. However, compared to my street helmet (Shoei RF1000), I found the AFX to be more round. I found that I got a hot spot on my forehead, so it took some tweaking to get it comfortable. I eventually shaved down the foam in the front to make it work for me. I had no issues wearing sunglasses with the helmet.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    It is quick and easy to remove the shield if you want to wear goggles. My only complaint is that I found a bit of distortion with the shield. It is much more curved than the shield on my other helmets and it felt like my vision was slightly distorted when the shield was down. Has anyone else had this issue?
  10. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    I ordered the 39 from Atomic last week, I'll chime in here when it gets in. FWIW, anyone local can try on the Fly at Rocky Mountain Kawi on 119 in Longmont, they had most of the sizes when I went in.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    It is nature of the beast when curving plastic at that face bar area. The distortion was present in the face shields of the Fly and the Shoei Hornet helmets I tried on at Iron Pony and noticed it in the Joe Rocket Hybrid I bought. It affects viewing instruments a bit. I'm sure it is something that one will adjust to dealing with.
  12. Recon690

Recon690 n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there a distortion difference between the Arai, Shoie and other higher priced helmets?
  13. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sure you don't have the FX-37? Your comments are consistent others for that model.

BP
  14. GordoS

GordoS Pawn in game of life

Oddometer:
    Do any of all y'all Fly owners wear any other Fly helmets?

I've got a Fly F2 Carbon moto helmet, and wondering how the Trekker fits in comparison since they're from the same company.
    thanks,
    Gordo
  15. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    I just bought the afx fx 39 last week. I stuck to the sizing chart which put me a size smaller than what I wear in a shoei. For the $$ this is a great helmet. No vision distortion, vents awesome, tight fit in the cheeks at first but fine now that it got broken in a bit. I did a ride that included fog, mid 90 degree temps and frog strangling rain followed by mid 90 heat again, and this helmet handled it all. Didn't fog, vents awesome. It is loud, but I ride with earplugs so no big deal for me. I was really surprised it kept the rain out (better than my shoei tzr). it is tight if you try to use sunglasses with it but I think that will get better the more it is used too. Would I buy it again ...hell yes!
  16. markk53

Oddometer:

I didn't do any scientific measurements, but tried on the Fly and the Shoei as well as my Joe Rocket. They all have some distortion low on the shield, part of having such a radical curve to fit the chin bar. I have a friend who has the Arai and he checked out my JR, said it was about the same. I'm thinking they all have some distortion that's part of the give and take of the Dual sport helmet compromise.
  17. wakdady

wakdady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just ordered the Fly version and now i'm looking for a dark smoke visor. Seems they don't make one. But AFX sells one for the FX-39. If they are indeed the same helmet, shouldn't the AFX shield work on the FLY?
  18. aim2kill

aim2kill Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would think so, however one might have some sort of propriatary notch or something. I have the AFX version, and the visor is in the mail. I will take some shots of it, and sent it to you if you're interested. Not the most scientific, but hey....:lol3
  19. biggurn

biggurn Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Fly Trekker in hi-viz. From what I can tell it and the AFX come from the same mold (had them hand in hand) but they have different "internals" each uses their own design for liners. I think that is where the difference is in fit and "shape." I liked the Fly better. We'll see though as I had to try on another Fly as the dealer was out of the color I wanted and I really thought Hi-Viz looked cool.
  20. adayinthedirt

adayinthedirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two quick questions y'all...
    1) Does the Fly come with the little plate covers for when removing the visor? (like the afx-39 does)
    2) Did anyone ever figure out if the afx shields fit the fly trekker?

:ear