Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ya.
    mine
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Slug......the jumper cables will be located in space 14b/c this time. :huh
  3. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paid today. Thanks, Joel et all!

Three things, first I was going to donate a copy of Adobe Premier Pro, but I think that got missed in the list? :scratch

Second, I added two rides I'm willing to lead. One is the Chloride-Titus thing, but Friday instead of Saturday. The second is Darwin on Sunday morning. If they don't get much interest, I might cancel them, but I'll talk to anyone who is interested before doing that. PM me if you sign up, so I can get to know you before hand? :freaky

Also, I'll be camped with Seth (lifeofreilly) and the Adobe crew in RV spot #2. Come by to chat in person once we're there.

Last, I will be riding in, the plan as of now is to do an IBA style blast on Wednesday. My route is Bellingham WA to PSR via I-5, 97, and 395. It will be my first IBA ride, so if you want to give me pointers, feel free. That route is simply what Mr.Goog says is shortest, I'm not sure if the linking route between I-5 and 395 is IBA friendly, or if it has too much traffic.

Anyway.... see you there! :clap
  4. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did request #28 along w/payment
    84. chu (headstaller) – MC3 – D3 - gs800

OR I requested the wrong spot for ride in ??
    Anyway, any spot is good for me.

5. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    A thought... if my offer for a duplicate Chloride loop on Friday isn't popular, I'd be willing to switch and take an overflow group on the Hunter Mt - Teakettle - Racetrack loop. Not sure how to track if a full ride would take more people if possible, other than comments here? We can work it out, I'm sure.

Also, for either of the rides I posted, I'd be glad to take more than 12 if a non-noob can help me as a sweep and general mayhem resolver.

Just let me know. As long as there's some moto involved, I kind of don't care what I'm doing.
  6. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    395 has a couple of 7000 - 8000 foot passes and many miles over 6000 feet of elevation between the NV state line and the turn off for 190 into Death Valley. They could be seriously snowed in or even closed in late March. Have a plan "B" ready.

The 95 south through NV to the 6 into Bishop will get you around the highest passes on 395, might add mileage though.
  7. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:

Weather in late spring is a crap-shoot for the high deserts of Oregon and Nevada. You could be basking in the Sunny 60's or fighting freezing rain and 35 degrees.

If you need a bail out overnighter in Eugene... PM me.
  8. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you wish I can increase the number of riders for this route as long as you will commit to leading one half of them if more join up. It wouldn't be good to have to deal with 30 riders in one group. Too spread out and too many chances for problems Just let me know and I'll make changes in the description and number.
  9. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Park rules limit back country groups to a maximum of 15 persons, 15 pack animals (motorcycles IMHO) and 6 vehicles. I strongly suggest you limit a ride to 14 to stay within those guidelines (14 sign ups and the leader = 15)

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parkmgmt/rules-and-regulations.htm#permit
  10. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey FYYFF. :evil
  11. nwemerys

nwemerys Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just paid up, really looking forward to this. Any chance I can reserve either 53 or 61.
    Thanks a lot.
  12. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

oh fine, now everybodies gonna know :cry
  13. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember reading once that there's a mine that goes through a mountain somewhere in Death Valley that you can ride a motorcycle through - from one side to the other. I can't find any info on Google, probably because I don't know the name of the mine.

Anyway, I obviously couldn't lead the ride because I have no idea where said mine is (if it in fact exists). But, I'd be willing to ride sweep on my little bike (XRR) if someone who knows the route is willing to lead. Since I'm committed to GS rides on Fri & Sat, a Sunday ride would work best for me.

Anyone have any info?
  14. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    #61 it is but we need to assign at least one more camper with you. You can have a buddy of yours or a blind date. :evil
  15. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it might be smart to reduce the Hunter Mountain ride by one but I don't want to cut anyone out. Any firm leader commitments for Group 2? With 200 PPs it shouldn't be difficult to fill.
  16. dirtmech

dirtmech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just paid thru paypal..and emailed directly....thank u...TR3 AND D3...I'm hanging with PCFly too...
  17. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:clap

thanks aaron and added your donation on page 1. hope who ever wins it shoots vids and likes to do a RR.

wish you well on doing the IBA, ride safe and enjoy the ride.

the chloride cliffs route is one of the best. don't know why peeps are not that interested. i do that every year, with a lunch stop in beatty, then head down to leadfield and titus canyon with a quick stop to check out the petroglyps.

folks, here's a list of the best attractions in dv.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g143021-Activities-Death_Valley_National_Park_California.html
  18. loner

loner explorer

Oddometer:
    You might be thinking of the Reward Mine near Independence. You can drive or ride into it, but not through it. It's not in DVNP.

In the El Paso Mountains there is the Burro Schmidt tunnel that you can hike all the way through.
  19. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope somebody leads a Titus Canyon ride on Saturday.....:deal :drif

So many good rides to choose from, so many conflicts on what I want to do....:cry
  20. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    we have been working hard to get support from various companies.

and this morning, i got a phone call from touratech.........:evil

my paypal account is busy, please keep them coming. try not to wait on the last day.

I POSTED THIS EARLIER SOMEWHERE....IF YOU'RE ON THE "IN LIST", YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 18TH TO PAY. ON THE NEXT DAY, WE WILL GIVE YOUR SPOTS TO THOSE ON THE WAITING LIST.

THOSE ON THE WAITING LIST AND GOT MOVED UP, YOU HAVE TO PAY RIGHT AWAY, WITHIN 2 DAYS.

WE WILL POST THE NAMES OF ALL WHO PAID THIS WEEKEND. IF YOU SEE YOUR NAME IN GREEN, YOU'RE GOOD TO GO,

I NEED TO GET RID OF ALL THE EMPTY CHAIRS, AND START PLANNING FOR THE RIDES, ROUTES, FOOD, RAFFLES, RIDING CLINICS, ETC.

THANKS,

joel