Seahorse 720 cases??.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NortwestRider, Feb 16, 2013.

1. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Has anybody used the seahorse 720 cases??.They are alittle bit smaller than the Pelicans but there 1/3 the price!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are not the same quality as Pelican/ Storm/SKB, but they are decent enough. I have a set that have lived on a dl1000 for years. The only time they come off is when I travel. For travelling I mount up a set of im2600 cases. Both mount nicely to an SU rack. I have dropped the DL onto the Seahorse cases a couple times at anywhere from 0-30mph. They still work fine.

I would buy the Seahorse's again. They are awesome deal for the price, if you can live with the size, and if you don't try to overstuff them. The im2600's were purchased because the Seahorse 720's were to small to travel with for more than a couple of days.
  3. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pics of them on your bike ??

4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they're awesome. After using these for about 2 years, I would never ever want Pelicans as bags again. These are plenty sturdy, much lighter, and MUCH cheaper. I still use Pelicans for things like camera equipment, as they are most certainly better made than the Seahorses, but for stuff like luggage where weight and possible damage in a crash needs to be taken into account, the Seahorses can't be beat IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    PERFECT,thats what I wanted to see.They will be going on my wifes GS500 for our trip to Dead Horse in June.I have Givi E36's on my NCX so between those and the seahorse's we should have plenty of room for 3 weeks worth of stuff !!.:clap
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a problem! I've got mine very "customized" at this point, with homemade water bottle holders, cargo nets, 120V inverter, and plenty of plastic eyes to mount straps/bungees. I've dropped the Strom on the right side twice, so I can also tell you that they work great as sliders :lol3

2(?) summers ago I did a 3 week solo camping trip, and with a big tail bag and a tank bag, they did awesome.
  7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Ordering them tomorrow,there on sale for $48...

8. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stuck a pair on my budget Versys and they've been fine. My only complaint is that the hinge pins for the latches are plastic and not very sturdy. When I knocked one of the cases off my tablesaw, it landed on a latch which snapped off and skittered under the bench. I replaced the broken pin with a piece of metal (Hmm...maybe I should replace the other three).

I added some lid supports to keep them from opening past 90° so all my crap doesn't fall into the road.

They keep the contents dry, hold my stuff and were cheap. Can't beat that.
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pins on mine are metal I believe...
  10. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love mine, favorite feature is the integrated locks. Not quite a a Pelican case but still a lifetime warranty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put my 720 cases on a few months ago. So far so good. They're not quite as sturdy-feeling as Pelicans... But if I had never used a Pelican before, I would have absolutely nothing to complain about. They're very solid and high quality. The added bonus is that you can get them with latch keys. I got mine from carrycasesplus.com and they picked out matching keyed cases so I have the same keys for both side cases. From what I've seen, they don't offered keyed cases for Pelicans unless you get the "i" cases (correct me if I'm wrong). It cost me about $140 shipped for two matching metal keyed cases... Can't beat that. Here's a picture of the cases on my SV650, along with a Seahorse SE300 on the tank.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a better picture of the cases soon after mounting:

[​IMG]
  12. p0diabl0

Oddometer:
    Hah, welcome to the E45+SE720 luggage on a 650cc sport standard club. We're probably the only two members.
  13. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been running 720's on my Vstrom for 4 years. Not many complaints especially for the price. I will buy another set when I change bikes. They have never leaked and hold up great when the bike falls over in camp. I throw a pad lock on them. Not as beefy as a pelican but plenty sturdy. My bud had them on his Uly as well, they are strong enough to use as a center stand the buell:rofl

Too the guy that said they are too small for more than two days, he must way over pack. Wife and I spent two weeks on the road and had more than enough room. I have camped out of them for 9-10 days and still have plenty of room. Use compression bags and don't over pack and they will hold a ton of stuff.
  14. Nnordsman

Oddometer:
    You are probably right. I don't pack light enough. I have lived out of the 720's for as much as 10 days all in one climate. When I travel north and go thorough multiple climates I take a more stuff. If I have to fill a giant top bag it defeats having side panniers to lower the weight. Hence the comment about bigger cases for longer trips.
  15. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think it's a pretty exclusive club! I'm now certain that my bike is a one-of-a-kind with the addition of a skid plate I built and installed over the weekend.

[​IMG]
  16. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes we use a med duffle on the rack to stuff light layers. On our 14 day trip we saw temps from 28°f in Yellowstone to 103°f in the desert. Wifey had all her stuff in one case, I had all mine in the other. Duffle prob had 10lbs of stuff. I can deal with that especially two up. I think we had our stuff down to 28lbs each including the weight of the seahorse case.
  17. Nnordsman

Oddometer:
    If you have a pick of how you packed for two-up I would be interested in seeing it. I am always open for ways to improve my kit.
  18. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will dig one up in the morning.
  19. super21

super21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mounted a pair of 720's on some homemade racks on my klr. I rode from michigan to raddison/hudson bay and the route de nord over to the trans lab highway and rode the trans lab both ways with out any trouble at all from the cases. They are well built,inexpensive cases. If I could find some my only other choice would be a couple of mermites for the top loading feature.
  20. p0diabl0

Oddometer:
    Nice, don't see that on many bikes with clip-ons.