roads and rec CD on 60 csx ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Dustodust, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    can the old Garmin Roads and recreation CD be used on a 60CSX ?

will it work from a new computer with windows 8 to a micro SD ?

should I just remove the card with City nav and put in a new card and connect the 60 to the computer ?
    or should I use the micro to macro Sd adapter and plug the SD to the computer ?
    should I just select maps I will be using ?

it looks like all the City Nav maps are selected for display, is there an advantage to unselecting some ?
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope this helps you.
  3. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright thanks for answering all !

hopefully the drivers will come with the Roads a Rec CD because the City Nav I have is locked

worse case scenario I could buy a powersupply for a crippled computer with XP I have laying in the closet just to load the maps
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drivers for the 60 can be found at the GARMIN site. Don't know if they'd have the ones for Win 8 there yet though.
  5. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a "trip and Waypoint Manager" CD that came with the 60 csx
    did the greedy Garmin basterds lock that too ?
    kinda surprised they dont make you pay a monthly subscription to use the sattellites [/cynical sarcasm] :rofl:rofl
    ( I know, dont give them any ideas)
    the waypoint manager from the 60csx box says : "includes USB drivers and mapsource System requirements Windows 98 or later"

hopefully it will work with the "obsolete" Roads and Recreation upgrade

Hopefully the Garmin corporate management is not too environmentally tree huggish and purposely trying to lose dirt backroad access to the Offroad community as the new software has deleted it :eek1
    Kinda looks like they only want cityfolk sticking to roads from City Nav or backpackers with Topo ?
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just did this this mornong for a friend in Prescott. He took out CN data card and put in fresh one. I downloaded all western states of R&R, took 20 minutes.

R&R is very old, if you don't already have Mapsource application loaded on your PC, Install R&R then you will have to update it. I show how on DualSportWest.com

Trip & waypoint manager is just Mapsource without maps. Basically useless.
  7. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks Mr Counts
    and thank you for all the info on Dual Sport West .com

I think I will try to make it to the Stonyford run haven't done that one yet
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't want to rain on their parade but do you like riding with 500 of your closest friends in endless dust? Many people do like the big events lilke this one adnf LA-B-V but others only ride small rides like Topaz.
  9. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up didnt know that
    I pictured it like the dual dog six days of northern cal
  10. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the unlock codes for City Nav hidden with the disc blister pak so now I suppose I could combine some City Nav Maps and Roads and Rec maps onto a custom medly Micro SD card if I want ?
  11. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can combine maps on a micro SD card for a 60/76 up to two limits -

Maximum combined map size (with up to date firmware) is 4gb

Maximum number of map segments (on 60/76) is 2025.

To see how many of each you have, start selecting maps, look at the bottom of the 'Maps' tab and it will show you the number of map segments you have selected and their combined size.

US Road & Recreation has LOTS of really small map segments... but there is a way around this.... with a bunch of work. If you really want to do this, PM me.
  12. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Is it secret, or can you share that "bunch of work" with us all?
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the secret hand shake?
  14. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I found a discussion of how to make a 'big segment' version of the old V3 Topo..... it took it down to about 230 segments by combining map segments together.

To do this the author had created configuration files that selected map segments together and a 'combining' program that called another program to decompile small map segments into Polish notation, combine decompiled segments, and recompile the combined segments back into IMG files.

Takes about 24 hours of run time for the old Topo - and that's if everything goes OK.

So, using that as a basis, I created the configuration files to combine the US Road & Recreation maps.... took me a couple of weeks to figure it out (turns out 3 map segments would NOT decompile), but when I got it all done I had the whole US R&R down to 95 map segments and about 400k.

The loader I used at that time only works on XP and Vista, but not Win 7. Recently I found a manual way to load it on Win 7, but it won't work on the older versions of Mapsource.... sigh, another thing to work on.

Anyways, US R&R in only 95 segments allows me to load lots of maps into my various GPS's.

On my 76cx I load all of MetroGuide V8 (not locked), all of Us R&R, all old TOPO, and Canadian enhansed base map. Around 1900 map segments and 3.1gb.
  15. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the 60csx with City Nav on a long trip and it worked great , but as a map it sux
    The Roads and Recs has a lot more detail but it looks like a kid drew it
    I got a Roads and Rec version 3.0 and ran it o the laptop
    it appears to have more back roads than City Nav yet the details are more crude.
    I do like the way it show more detail out at 1.5 miles where city nav loses detail so it it harder to get a big picture
    looks like either way, having a paper map also is best for exploring

I tried to get the _6137 exe download and it downloaded but when I tried to run the R&R CD nothing happened . So I uninstalled it and ran the CD again and it worked .
    Its a tough choice now between the R&R and the city nav , each has pluses and minuses
    Cant believe the Roads and Recs does not show a feature like Kelso Dunes :huh
    you could be exploring around and miss it ...lame
    what idiots design this stuff !

neat gadget but still need a paper map
  16. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost a lot of travel time toggling and fidgeting around with the GPS that I could have spent covering miles by intuition, paper map and dead reckoning, so I am still contemplating its worthfulness .

I may do better without dependency on the GPS and just go back to the ol intuition and just leave it on the dash anyway to reconcile with the map

sort of like how you see everyone connected to a smartphone now like an umbillical cord lifeline they cannot live without,
    for instance they may want to find a restaurant, so they ask the smart phone GPS, it tells them where to go and they get the google feed answer sending then to the nearest Mc Donalds. If they were to trust intuition they may have found something really good and different like Reds Giant Burger instead
    the technology is great but it causes other issues
    people now spend a good portion of their lives connected to these devices staring at the mother screen and miss out on a larger part of living
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yes R&R will work just fine on a 60. i have it on mine plus another unit.
    R&R is not locked and thus you can use it on multiple units.

copy the whole installer file to your harddrive and install from there or it will keep asking for the CD when you add map tiles to your unit.

trip and waypoint manager updates to mapsource and to it's final update of mapsource. that is not a locked program either. after you install mapsource then you install maps such as R&R and City Nav. If you also install Basecamp they are in seen in their too.

Win 8 should automatically detect the 60 and provide the necessary drivers.
    older windows need these drivers installed 1st before plugging in the GPS to the computer. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
    Mapsource runs just fine on Win 8.

after you have all your basemaps (R&R, City Nav, free ones etc.) installed into Mapsource then select the tiles (areas you want on the GPS unit) you want from each then you would transfer those over to the SD card in the 60. put the 60 in card mode so the transfer goes much faster. once the transfer is complete, disconnect the unit and restart it. You know have those maps available to you and you can transfer between viewing the one you want to see.

If you make changes by adding more tiles it overwrites the whole map file so plan on selecting all the old ones plus the new ones you want and do another map transfer. Plan ahead. I use a 2gb card and that is plenty to hit the 2015 tile limit for a 60. R&R uses alot of small tiles, where as City Nav uses much larger ones. There is also a fake out where you can slightly remain the gpsmap file and have 2 or more and cover more area with just 1 SD card. The 60 will handle 4 & 8 gb card and maybe even larger.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i find a GPS a vital routing tool and would have lost a ton of time and possibly worse running out of gas with out it in the field.
    i plan rides and then properly execute them. i follows others rides by uploading .gpx files. i track where i've been. i easily get back home when i'm lost and exploring. my 60 does at that for me. i'm in the biz of making printed maps and still use a GPS all the time. we all do in the company. that's efficient routing.

the 60 does a lot of thing plus GPS routing & use requires alot of study and practice to do it right. all said you need to invest time in what you have before it pays you back. you can't be lazy about it and expect it to work. sit down with the unit and go through every option and feature. read some books on how GPS technology works too. you're not the 1st person who has been frustrated by these unit. they are not built for dummies like the Nuvis are. they are powerful machines that take time to learn.

19. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow good stuff but now I am really confused
    this is all way over my head
    I dont have the first clue on how to "copy the entire installer file to hard drive" much less what a "map tile is" I scrolled around the R&R maps on the laptop and can find no defined tiles , its just a big map of the US that I can zoom in on
    really wish I could figure this out
    to get the R&R cd to run I need to unistall the mapsource version each time and then insert the CD or it will do nothing . If I click on the desktop mapsource icon it just gives an error message that says to call Garmin
    I have installed the City Nav CD and unlock codes so maybe there is a conflict there
    I tried running the R&R cd and putting an 8gb into the laptop slot , then went to "file" and selected MicroCD card , but nothing happened from there and I was stuck, so I went to "safe to remove SD card" and quit
    I havent tried running the R&R CD then putting the new 8gb card in the 60 and then connecting it yet , afraid to fry something
    I am way behind when it comes to this technology

thanks for trying to help !!! I feel like a retard :rofl

one clue may be that after hitting run it asks to connect the GPS to check for if it needs upgrades and I havent done that yet
    afraid to gum it up and fry what I have working now
    I suppose it would be wise to remove the City Nav card and install the blank before trying that
  20. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree you are totally right on with that.
    having it on the last trip, ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873682 ) did open up a whole new world , however , maybe not being familiar with it made it seem like trying to navigate through a small window , I still needed a paper map for the big picture.
    What was really nice was that it eliminated doubt in many cases like a fork in the road . I could tell if something was a dead end