Only the clock works 07 f650gs.....

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by stvzan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. stvzan

stvzan STVZ

Oddometer:
    Is there a main fuse on an 07 f650gs.
    There are 8 fuses in the fuse box, are there any more fuses or a disable link hiding somewhere?
    Parked her last night tried to start today no go.
    Tried to jump it using the funny little jump start point under seat but nothing happened. Battery reading 12.87 then noticed the clock was working . No other light or illuminates. Nothing at all happens when I turn the key.
    Any ideas, aside from this being a test of my patience,a test of my determination, or a matter of luck and timing.
    thanks ......Steve
  2. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No there is no "main fuse" you are looking at them all. (There is always the potential someone modified something though.) Could be your ignition switch or wires going into it. I'd start there.

12 V showing on the meter doesnt mean the battery is good btw, but you should at least see the dash lights. Hence my guessing the ig sw.

That funny connector is the BMW or euro style for accessories.
  3. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Sounds like faulty BMW engineering to me. They F650 electrics are designed to work flawlessly in your garage. By design, they only fail at a fuel stop, at night, in a driving rainstorm.

I assume you've checked the battery connections? They're clean and tight? Kill switch on? Try jiggling the switch and turning it back and forth a few times. Try wiggling the wires going into the back of the switch. My 01 had bad contacts in the switch after a buncha miles, and would only work if the switch were juuuuust so in the righ spot.
  4. macd7919

macd7919 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming the clock on your bike is always on (not personally familiar with that model) use your multimeter and watch the voltage at the battery with the ignition off and then turn the switch on. Though the clock is on you may see that it drops considerably just by turning the key to "on". Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to load test the battery on the bench if you have something to test with as it may show borderline voltage but have low amperage. If a load tester isn't readily available swing by an independent dealer and they most likely will be happy to test it for you for free (I usually tip the tech $5 for his time).
  5. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do those still use the old style wet batteries? If so, have you checked to make sure you don't have a dry cell or two? Those bikes require a good battery with clean, tight connections. Upgrade to an AGM when you can.

Sarah
  6. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    I would double check battery connections and its age.
    I had a similar problem in the first cold night this year. Replaced the 6 yo batt and problem solved.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  7. stvzan

stvzan STVZ

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who offered help when "only the clock was working " It was the ignition switch. Cant afford a new one so will have to try an aftermarket... There are four wires to the switch. 2 bigger one...and two little wires. One of the little wires is for the tail lite, but what is the other? I cant find a schematic for the ignition anywhere,some very secret business I know, but Im not sure where to hook it up or what it is for.Thanks again, in advance, for anything, or, nothing at all. Happy new year !
  8. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    What color is the unknown little wire ?
  10. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey good to know I was right for once. Thanks for updating.
  11. stvzan

stvzan STVZ

Oddometer:
    the mystery wire is yellow/gray.