Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey Rick, 650's may be a bit much for the Zion Curtain trail, IMO. I've ridden my old DR650 on some of the trails out there and it was a handful. There are several sections that it's quite technical, big ledges, steep climbs, etc. If you're up for a challenge, I won't say not to do it. :evil
  2. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    ^^^ What he said, I have taken my DR back there a couple time. It is fun and challenging but man it is a workout and slow going. Now I will probably go back there again, but not on the 650.
  3. DCZ

DCZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Greg - I might let a few parts heal up before I tackle another technical trail!

Some great riding in the Junction area - I need to bring my bike up when we come up to visit the kids.

Rick
  4. DCZ

DCZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nwcolorider,

That is what I was worried about - the slow going. Without a fan on the XR I need to keep moving - these do sound like fun trails though. Any recommendations for faster stuff in the area?

Thanks - Rick
  5. Greg@RME

Oddometer:

Anytime! There is a lot of great riding out here, even for the bigger bikes.

The Kokopelli, Glade Park to Gateway to Moab, the Uncompahgre, Baxter Pass... lot of options!
  6. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    I have done all the Rabbit Valley trails, 1-8, on the DR with no problems, well no big problems, few drops, dings and yelling at the kid to help the old man get the bike up the hill. Lots of fun stuff out there. Koko, Top O the World, farther west out at Dubinky area, there is some real good stuff also.
  7. Sortarican

Sortarican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone been up on the North Uncompahgre Plateau yet?
    We're looking at being in the area next weekend.
    Wanted to set up off Divide Rd/Carson Hole area and wondering if the trails are open with the late spring snows or if we should think about hitting the BLM land lower down or even Fruita area.

Any info on the conditions in the area would be much appreciated.
  8. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, new guy from grand junction here! Last summer I bought a 2002 xr650r and spent this winter working on it to make it my own. I'm totally new to the dirt on 2 wheels but I can't wait to get out there. I was formerly a jeeper but my XR is way more fun!! Anyways I just got done with my bike and am quite ready to get it in the hills. Ben
  9. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up on the Unca, but I would imagine the roads are pretty decent. It's been fairly warm lately, but don't have any first hand info. Sorry!

Hey Ben, welcome to the Asylum! I'm still a 4x4 guy, but getting out on the bike is so much more simple! We need to get some local folk, weekend rides going on. The weather is here, the mountains will be opening up soon!
  10. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Welcome Ben.
    New to dirt? Got any mountain bike experience? That always helps to get going on the dirt.
    Anyway, great to hear we've got another ADVrider in town.
  11. benjamin1031

Oddometer:

No mountain bike experience sorry! Just street bikes and jeeps. I was born and raised in Farmington, NM and spent every summer in the San Juans (Cinnimon, Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene, ect...) I know the trails pretty well (for jeeps) but look forward to finding some people to ride in the mountains with. I know there is a boat load of stuff to ride in Moab as well but am way less familiar with the area. So, if some folks don't mind a rookie riding along I would love to go! Ben
  12. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    You're our second immigrant to the area who started out in Farmington. Must be a popular place to leave. :hide

But yes, we can certainly do that. I'll keep you in mind for any local big bike run arounds. Going out this weekend for a four-day tour through eastern Utah with a buddy. Oh yeah!
  13. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    Yet another Western Slope noob here,

I met Uli and Adventuregirl earlier this year and just met Greg today to check out the 690.

My riding is improving every time out and I had a great time today at Rabbit Valley.

Subscribed for Grand Valley rides.

Chris
  14. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris! :wave
  15. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    :eyes
  16. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    WTF are you doing back in this territory? Thought you wouldn't be back till Sunday. How'd it go????:ear
  17. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Yea, no shit! Deets man... we need deets!!!

also,

DC on Saturday!!!:ear
  18. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Not back yet, still in Cabo for a few more days.
    Race went well for us. We had a blast, Norra works hard to make sure everyone has a good time.
    Tragically one of our freinds passed away during the second day of the race, so obviously there is some mixed emotions.
  19. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    Uli,
    Something = aliquid in Latin. Ben
  20. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:

Sorry man, I saw what happened. Godspeed.