Hunting pics

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NDEBT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    The ice was so thick on his chest, it rattled when he walked. 3 retrieves from the river over 90 minutes at 10F and he was bummed to get back in the car.
    [​IMG]
  2. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That is a DOG for you. :clap
  3. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Great pic. Looks like a good dog. I've worked with many hounds,bird dogs and retrievers. They love to work.
  4. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    From yesterday morning: His first big canada retrieve and my first geese of the year. I jumped a big flock off the river and had to catch the other two as they floated past while he tried to figure out how to carry his. :lol3
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Hey you try swim'n with 12-15lbs in your mouth,:lol3

Man i havent been geese or duck hunting in a longggg time.Now days i got the wrong dog anyway.Dont think i could get the German shepard to bring the bird back,unless she thought id play catch with it.
    Good dog,nice birds im jelous.
  6. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    In a fast, icy river, even. :lol3

We jumped up another one yesterday that he grabbed by both wings. He actually belongs to another inmate, and we just figured out he liked to hunt last year when he also started having serious hip problems. His muzzle has a lot of grey in it, but he's great for short local trips. I have a baby due any minute and when that settles down I'll be training up a pup for waterfowl and upland... and being a trusty steed for my kid. :D
  7. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Anybody here ever shoot prairie dogs? My boy is 11 this year, and he's been talking about wanting to do it for years now. Figure it might be time to look in to getting stuff together to do a trip out west this summer. Any info? :ear
  8. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I got the chance to shoot some a few years back in Wyoming. I didn't go to shoot them primarily. We went to turkey hunt and the guy we hunted on hated anything that ate his cattle's grass so he took us out to shoot dogs. We did it in about the most redneck fashion I can imagine: drinking beer and shooting them with a .22lr sitting in the truck:lol3

They aren't hard to kill, kind of like squirrel hunting only not as hard. Once you get where they are hanging out they'll den up for a few minutes. Once they get comfy they start trying to figure out where their buddies are and start popping out to see what's going on. They jump out of the hole and welcome to whack city.

I didn't care for it much myself, but that is my opinion, doesn't make it the right one, just mine.

There are some guys I know that go out to the Dakota's and Wyoming to shoot them that take it pretty seriously. They do it with benchrest center fire iron and limit their shots to 100 meters +, that's probably a pretty good challenge. To get access they just scout and knock on doors. Ranchers like to have them killed because cattle will step in the dens and injure/break legs and become a hassle.

How are those cans working for ya?
  9. Tac D

Tac D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Zebra taken on the foot two seasons ago.
  10. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    You shot a striped horse? How do they taste?
  11. tcs06

tcs06 The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]:deal
  12. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    Tell your boy it's OK to smile after shooting a nice deer. This hardass macho schtick has to go away. :thumb
  13. redsport

redsport Adventure Is Out There Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Why shoot game in Arkansas? Because you live there, maybe? Check his location. :deal
  15. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
  16. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I've been hunting locally since mid-December so that I could avoid being unpresent for my first kid's arrival. There's literally 200 acres of huntable public land accessible in bad weather in the area, but it's 3 miles from home. At first I was bent out of shape about having to hunt where it can be so unpredictable, but as is often the case, I just learned how to make full use of the area. I had a great second half of duck season pass-shooting, decoying, and jumping and I capped it off today with a nice goose to end the season. Strangely enough, I was leaving because of the number of good 'ol boy skybusters and they spooked one right past me. :clap

Drew waited until after duck season was over to show up. I couldn't resist taking a picture for scale... but now it looks like the goose is whispering in his ear. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  17. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

That is an AWESOME pic. Congrats on the hunt and more so for you're new Son:clap
  18. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the baby!! Hope mom and the baby are doing well.
  19. chappy

chappy Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer:
    One of the bucks I couldn't get to show itself this season, hopefully he won't get poached and I can get him next year. This year was the year of the doe for me.

[​IMG]
  20. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    A few shed antlers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]