A Mexican Ducati rescue and rebuild

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Airhead Wrangler, Mar 4, 2012.

1. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    tight machine work..
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was finally able to break the left side cover loose and answer this question. That plug allows the wires coming off of the stator out through the side cover. The reason it's now vacant I found is that the stator is no longer there. Just plain old gone. :bluduh The wires going to the ignition triggers are also coming apart really badly. Those'll need replacement as well. The parts list is growing. I also pulled the head and cylinder off the vertical cylinder and found things to be pretty good looking inside. There's still strong crosshatching present in the cylinder, but also some vertical scoring from some carbon particles stuck to the side of the piston. Nothing that I can feel though. I'd say the 8500 indicated km could actually be correct.

Anyone got a source for stators and ignition triggers?

Here's what I found inside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    That looks really good inside! Good find and it must have been a fun ride picking it up. Looks usable from the pics, no? No head gaskets on them just make sure to find a base gasket the same thickness. measure with a mic and add a couple thousands for the crush. I believe they come in rounded sizes .030.035.040.050 ect..clay the head when you go for assm. and that will give you your pistion to valve clearance. adjust with the clearance with the base gasket. It's been a few years since my last go around with a duc :lurk

Here's some good info about that http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/rebuild/headwork.html

This dudes the shit!!!

Here's my old 944
    [​IMG]
  4. 240sx4u

240sx4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, that dog is too cute.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I've read mention of cleaning out some sludge traps on the crank, but couldn't find any specific procedure anywhere. I have both barrels off and the pistons removed, so I might as well do it while I'm in this deep as I'm sure all the metal sludge from break-in is still probably in there. Can anyone point me to a procedure somewhere? Is this even possible to do without splitting the cases and removing the crank?
  6. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:

I/ve pulled all the plugs out of other engines and rinsed them with clean diesel fuel. repeat repeat repeat. Don't know if that helps but will make a mess.:D

Edit: when it's all together crank with spark plugs off till you get oil pressure.
  7. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Alright, while the frame is stripped I'll try taking it into the local transito office and see if I can beg my way into plating it. In the meantime I've been searching for a direction to take this thing. Here are a few that I like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm leaning toward something naked. Shipping fairings to mexico gets pretty pricey (not that the rest of it isn't).
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat project.

:lurk
  9. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be my choice. Finally a project to keep you busy after mine is out of your yard. Remember, if you need anything from Northern California, just let me know, I'll help where I can
  10. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what the openning rocker clearances are supposed to be for Pantahs? The PDF of the shop manual that's floating around says zero. That doesn't sound right. I know the closing rockers are supposed to be zero, but able to spin the collar shim while pushing down on the rocker. The openning cap shims are way too loose, but I'm not sure what the spec is. It can't be zero though... can it?
  11. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The disassembly continues. My makeshift workshop in a spare room has just about run out of "bench" space.

[​IMG]

Thanks to my old school parts washing setup (oil pan, paintbrush, gasoline) I got the heads clean enough to disassemble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cylinders got a nice cleaning too.

[​IMG]

Nothing but a light lapping needed for the valves. No noticable wear.

[​IMG]

A brass brush and WD40 was all it took to loosen up the carbon on the pistons. Ready to run again. Are the wrist pins always tight on ducati pistons? I had to tap them out.

[​IMG]

The piston from the horizontal cylinder had a healthy ding in it from some sort debris that got sucked in. Only one mark so I guess it got blown out the exhaust port after one cycle.

[​IMG]

The opening rockers are like new. I haven't taken out the closing rockers yet, and I'm not sure I'll even bother.

[​IMG]

Everything's getting filed in ziplocs

[​IMG]

The cam bearings are a bit noisy, so they'll get replaced, I'll lap the valves and as soon as I get a gasket set and valve seals I'll reassemble it all. I also disassembled the fork legs today and will take them to a hydraulic shop to get rechromed and honed as the chrome is flaking off in a few spots.

[​IMG]
  13. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Bob. The decision's been made. I ordered this tank and tail piece. No fairing though.

[​IMG]

I'll need to rework the headlight and instruments, maybe just shelf the mechanical gauges in favor of something electronic. I'd like to go with red for the tank and tail, but I can't decide whether to paint the frame and swingarm black or white. Maybe silver? Or chrome it again? Hmmm.
  14. killfile

killfile 49/50

Oddometer:
    Bump because this thread is fantastic!
    Can't wait to see that tank and seat in place.
  15. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    My current thinking on color is white frame and wheels, black tank and tail with white two-line ducati logo, and small tricolore stripe down the top center of the tank and tail. Coincidentally, the mexican flag is also red white and green, so it'd be doubly appropriate. I finally got my gasket set and carb rebuild kits ordered along with a new throttle and cables. I'm trying to source new bearings locally from the SKF distributor, but it appears that some of them are pretty uncommon, the steering head bearings in particular. I'll be needing steering head bearings, cam bearings, wheel bearings and timing belt tensioner bearings. I'm still on the lookout for a new stator that doesn't cost ungodly money, so if anyone knows a source please let me know. Alternatively, if anyone knows what other years and models of ducatis use the same stator that'd be great. It's a single phase, two wire (both yellow).
  16. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at my Haynes for the 91-96 twins(600, 750, &900), it appears that they all used 2-wire stators that secured into the inside of the side cover with two screws. I have a spare 900 crankcase, but unfortunately no side covers nor alternator parts to measure.

The only difference the book lists is that 900s upgraded alternators in the early 90s. That was probably the switch from the six spline rotor to the slightly shorter 13 spline rotors. (That caught me off guard when trying to install a 92 modle crank into a 95 motor - the change was after the 93 model year.)

Knowing how Ducati sourced most of its electrics from Magnetti Morelli and a few other companies, and how Ducati stuck with many unchanged design elements on the aircooled twins, its possible that many stators form even later models may fit. Although I realize you're not in a location to shop a whole lot of parts locally.
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark. So, if the only change was on the rotor, then I might be able to order any used stator out there. My rotor is still there. I'll have to pull the cover again and take some measurements.
  18. alister102

alister102 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan for the paint- I agree that if you do the frame white you need to do the wheels white as well-
    But man you really need a fairing with that bike! an ss fairing looks sweet with that tank- also like the small amount of color against black.

look forward to seeing pictures!
  19. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, I wanted a fairing too, but shipping from europe for something that bulky isn't exactly cheap. I had to get the tank and tail, but the fairing is just too huge. If I can find one I like in the states for a decent price then I'll make it happen.
  20. alister102

alister102 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't vouch for their quality (although I've heard good things) but airtech is cheap for the ss fairing- 172.00 I think-
    you would need to get a screen from gustaffson though. there is also glass from the past.

good luck :norton