World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    "But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

If I had to bet, I'd bet a buff will come on the IS-7 sometime... but I've read nothing of such a buff yet.

It may not fit their business model to upgrade older tanks continually as opposed to always offering some latest/greatest, but then they've already buffed the E-100 (although it is newer than the IS-7, too).

One way or another it will probably be the same price buffed as it is now... so why not just wait? IIRC the IS-7 doesn't have any bigger gun to research once you get it, does it? At least old tier tens had nothing more to research once you got them, but they may have changed that to be more like the newer ones that have researchable better guns.
  2. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Just compare the accuracy stats between the S-70 and the M58 guns. Where the IS-7 will hit a minivan at 1000m, the T110 would shoot a KLR out from under you.

And you have to admit - the E100 was always awful. IS-7 ruled the world (of tanks) for a good long while before the T110 was released.
  3. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    i could get the IS8 if I had another 2 mil. as it is unless the team wins I'm losing 10k per battle. Even with 4 kills. feckin ridiculous
  4. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Careful there, partner - know what you're in for before buying it, as the IS-8 disappoints a good many people as well. Me? I like it because I realized it was a quasi-medium the first day it was introduced (and it was free). But others fought against that since, lookee there, it has that 'heavy' tank symbol on it, so it must be a heavy... they then went on to later rant about why the IS-8 was a terrible heavy and sold it.

I suggest this read:
    http://wotarmory.com/tag/is-8-ammorack/

I was once - ONCE - in an ultra effective hull-down position where I bounced many a close-by tier ten shot with my IS-8, and I have been trying to figure that stance out ever since. It was a battle we were losing, and we had no tier tens left on my team vs. three of theirs. I mean, I even know where on the map it happened, yet I don't understand why it was so effective.

That one battle's outcome was this:

[​IMG]

Well, I'll admit that most E-100 drivers were the worst tankers from the day it was introduced. I've read and spoken with many who were prior original KV-1 addicts (so, basically, wanting/needed the biggest dumbest tank in the game because they had no real skill otherwise - they needed the biggest armor, and thought they had the biggest, baddest gun), and I've spoken with a very few (two) good E-100 drivers, and back in the day those 'good' drivers used the Maus gun on the E-100, not the big gun 99% of the E-100 guys went to.

I really don't know how bad the tank really was as the statistics and usage were mainly being made by the dolts who had to use that type of tank in the first place.

I respect those two tankers I've known, and they had an OK time with the E-100 when others were failing.
  5. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    read the article. sounds like the IS8 is similar to the IS3. I've got 302 battles in mine, 47% win, 29% survival and 143 kills. those %'s never changed over ownership.

I honestly don't have fun in the tank :dunno

Seems to bounce a lot of shots or penetrate with zero damage even with the BL9.

unfortunately short of selling it and pissing away all the time and money i put into it, it seems IS8/7 is the only way to go.
  6. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    If you don't enjoy the IS3, you will not enjoy the IS8.

I agree with that article that while the IS3 is balanced and tough enough for its heavy tier, the IS8 has the best gun and perhaps worst armor of its tier for heavies.

If you are looking for a tank built like a tank at tiers 8 and 9, go for the KV-4 and ST-I.

Really, the IS3 is a great brawler tank, but if you can't win in it then it doesn't fit your play style. It's not like you're losing anything by switching now.

Edit: and in my opinion survival and kill stats are meaningless when compared to win and damage-done stats. With the biggest guns (like on an IS-3 or IS-8) it's sometimes a waste to shoot a guy with 100 hit points left when your smaller guys could focus on him, while you focus on the next target that needs pain.
    I can't tell you the number of times I've found an enemy in a crevice and pass right by him to allow the following horde of tanks to shoot him while I keep my speed up and charge on ahead. Not always, but when the win is on the line, it's very typical for all to stop to shoot one tank (thereby not getting the capturing started early enough), and I make sure we all don't stop by rarely stopping at all.
  7. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    grumble, grumble
    It might have gone something like that. My memory isn't what it used to be.
    :lol3
  8. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Just got the IS3 after selling the KV-4. I like it better. Sort of a big T-43 which I'm also really liking.

Anyone grinding the Brit heavies? I'm at the Curch 1 and not real impressed. The only good thing is the pen and reload.
  9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am working my way up the British line, but it is a bit slow....I refuse to spend any free exp on anything.

I have one of the tier 4 tanks, not real impressed...but then again tier 4 is the red headed step child of this game...they all are not that good...and they want to keep them that way.

The armor on all is pretty darn thin....they are slow with thin armor or fast with thin armor...Just not happy with any yet.

I am intrested to see how the differ with the lend lease soviet stuff...I have all the british tanks over there and like them all pretty well.

The only thing I keep playing with any fun is the tier 1....I usually walk away with at least 2 kills and have gotten a few top guns with that tank....I have actually run it out of ammo on more than one case.....still on the original crew and they are up to around 80%....right now I am thinking about keeping that one...but still working my way up on the others.....but I agree the church1 does seem pretty soft.
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

So they really make the Tiger2 better in v8.+. Can pen anything and deflect most shots from the same tier, it seems. I think I'll be playing it more.
  11. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

avg experience per battle is 552. hit ratio 71%
    I have an open slot, might be time to pick up the KV line again and see whats what.
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Hardware talk again:

I had a buddy complaining about all of the WoT overlays distracting him... and I was wondering what on earth he was complaining about... then I realized that my setup is 4960x1900 resolution and he was playing at 1280x768 :rofl

I actually play the game @ 2560x1600 - here is a screen shot if anyone is wondering what the "extra real estate" does to the UI. :freaky

actual size: https://topgeek.smugmug.com/photos/i-cBBs3NH/0/O/i-cBBs3NH.jpg

Screen shot @ 2560x1600
    [​IMG]

p.s. I love cranking up the DPI on the mouse on the fly when playing arti... I can move my cursor across the entire screen corner-corner with a 1" movement of my hand.. then toggle the DPI back down to aim at the new target.
    This mouse really is like cheating :D

[​IMG]

:freaky
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Too bad my PC won't run that kind of graphics. I still bog to 4-5 fps when the action gets dicey.
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

You can also hit the Ctrl key and right click on the mini-map to immediately move the arty view to that sector. Whatever is easier...
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    cool! I didn't know that :freaky

Have any other cool keyboard shortcuts? :lurk
  16. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Got the same functionality on my G500. (wow, ~1450 reviews now) Definitely comes in handy when playing WoT. Also helps to minimize my intermittent Ulnar Tunnel issues.

Unfortunately, the ctrl key also stops turret/hull traverse. The 1-3 second lag while clicking the minimap can make quite a difference.
  17. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

left click makes the gun go 'bang'... :lol3
  18. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    schoolme on soviet arty
    about to research the s-51
  19. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    First gun sucks. Second gun is like the hand of god.

Shells are low velocity, so angle of attack is substantially different at various differences.

Always aim through the target, not at it.
  20. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    What he said, and this:

If you are accurate and coordinated with spotters, it's insanely effective.

If you're just popping off without a good team or platoon, it's a massive waste of time and credits.

Take the reload time to move around a bit, since counter-arty at that level can be devastating. You get a whole minute between shells, you can scoot quite a bit in that time. Just put the foot on the gas the second after the gun fires, though, in case they're watching your tracers. My method is shoot-pivot-haul ass for at least 50 meters, usually towards open ground (avoiding shrub-hunters) then look for a new spot, or just stay in the open if the screen kept the enemy scouts out. Find a new target or re-focus on the same one again, and repeat.