1997 YZF750r

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Meter Man, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    There a nice example in a locale I regularly visit.

Less than 10,000 miles.

They want a premium at $4,000.

Anyone own one of these, thoughts? I imagine they are pretty solid bikes overall.

Is the uniqueness worth a little extra dosh?
  2. NCADV Rider

NCADV Rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a friend wit hone in Virginia. They were the bassis of the Yamaha AMA roadracing effort before 1000 CC multicylinder bikes were made legal. They are slightly less exotic than the Honda RC45 of the same time frame. I have no idea about th emarket value but I know they are very rare and highly prized by Yamaha collectors. I would not view it as an investment but rather has a prized piece of racing history.
  3. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1994 model. They handle really well, but compared to today's bikes they are low on power. The Carbs in mine hated the 10% ethanol fuel we have now. Unless you ride it constantly, this will be your main battle. Carb gaskets, o-rings, etc for this bike are really really expensive. you should figure in this cost as well.

$4,000.00 is way too much for a regular R model. Unless you're talking about an SP version? The SP version is the really rare one.

After I got over the fact it's really not the "special", I used it as a track bike. Still lots of fun, enough power and greazt handling to hang with newer bikes and less experienced riders. I say it's not "special" because Yamaha never won a WSBK or AMA racing championship based off of this bike.
  4. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definately not an SP model.

I've always liked the 90s sportbikes. More comfortable and I like the power delivery better.

There are a few stations here that don't use ethanol, and I've not had any carb issues since filling up there almost exclusively (not on trips but when I fill before the end of the season).

I may end up making an offer on this one when I am down there. Maybe $3,000 or $3,300. It looks to be in exceptional shape.
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it is bone stock, I see no reason not to jump on it.

90's 750s are already becoming damn hard to find in good condition.
  6. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:

That is quite a bit unless; it is *perfect*, or its a model you just gotta have.

If you go see it;

Check things like the brake caliper and axle pinch bolts either for holes or they look newer than the bike and things like the side cases look replaced or repainted. Some of those surviving "low miles, only ridden on the weekends" sport 750s started their lives as race bikes.

Doesn't exclude it, sometimes you get a diamond with a breathed on motor, but craveat emptor...
  7. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK the 750 "R" was the only one sold by Yamaha in the US, any SP is either a conversion or a gray market import.

That being said, a $4000 Yamaha R6 will run circles around it...

What do you want? A rare-ish 750 or performance? If you want the later, look somewhere else. One "cool" thing that is possible with those bikes are engine swaps, you can get the Thunderace engine in there... And you'll end up with a 750 with the power of a literbike, in late 90 terms, yet a 1998 R1 would run circles around it... But R1s are dime a dozen.
  8. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I want - Big motor (relatively), comfortable ergos, decent handling, maybe a bit unique.

I have been stalking Hayabusas on Craigslist for awhile, haven't found a nice unmolested example yet.

I have had a fairly used example of a 1993 FZR600. I liked it but it was a bit too gutless down below.
  9. rdtz

rdtz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an SP model,they are good fun on back roads, with accurate steering reasonable handling and brakes.Not the most comfortable for big miles,however I did manage 1100 miles on a weekend trip to Scotland, 18 months or so ago, without needing back surgery on return.
    One problem is finding a petrol station in remote areas,they like a drop of juice when pressing on a bit and have a relatively small tank despite the look of it,the airbox takes up a lot of space.
    I missed a mint 750R early this year when on a break in New Jersey ,it was priced at $2500,so $4000 is way over the top in my view.
    Regards
    David
  10. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 1997 YZF 750R and it was a great bike...I had zero issues or problems with mine in 30K miles. They are very comfortable for pure sportbikes, even compared to bikes of the same vintage. In fact, I once rode mine over 1400 miles in 21 hours...try that on a GSXR, or ZX-7. They are fast...just not as fast as newer bikes. Mine would do high 10's in the quarter mile, and would do an honest 160 mph. Accessories are getting hard to find these days but they are different, rare, and they were somewhat successful in racing. They won three British Superbike Champoinships in a row in 96, 97, and 98 in the hands of Niall Mackenzie, won the Daytona 200 in 97, and 98 in the hands of Scott Russell, as well as the following additional regional championships. (All Japan Superbike Championship in 97 in the hands of Nori Haga, German all pro series, Italian Superbike Series, French Superbike Championships (X2), Canadian Superbike series)

They were great bikes...that were mostly forgotten, and overshadowed once the launch of the CBR 900RR happened. But, don't let that stop you from owning a simply great bike...get it.
  11. HornHonker

HornHonker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard it was yamaha's answer to Honda's RC30.
  12. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Is it the aluminum or steel frame model. Most were steel.
  13. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sold, not sure if they got the asking price. Still stalking Craigslist for nice unmolested Hayabusas.
  14. Touring XR

Touring XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    None were steel. All FZR/YZF 750s were Al Deltabox frames. Very, very low numbers of those were sold in the US.

And to correct someone above, some SPs were sold in the US. They were brought in to satisfy the AMA for use as the superbike platform. Saw one at the dealer in Portland a few years ago for a very resonable price ($4,500 if I recall). Decided I didn't have space for another rare, impractical sport bike that I would ride 500 miles a year.
  15. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Almost bought one back in the day (1994) but ended up buying a 900rr instead.
    The 900rr cost me less than the 750 would have, I worked at a dealer that sold both at the time