Putting sleeping pad inside of the bag?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Buster452, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried putting their sleeping pad inside of their bag?

I just got the new big agnes q-core sleeping pad a couple months back. The big one, on sale at REI 30% off. Next on my list is a big agnes bag, but that's a ways off.

The sleeping pad is comfortable...as long as I stay on it. Problem is that it is a slippery bugger. My bag slips off the pad when I move around in my sleep.

I've also had this slight annoyance with my current bag, a Teton Sports Celsius XL (big bag too) 0degree. It's cloth/flannel lined, so when I roll over the bag tends to roll with me. The bag has been great; big, warm, and mostly comfortable except for the rolling bit.

I was thinking putting the pad inside the bag might solve two problems. I can roll over and slide on the pad and the bag doesn't roll with me. When I move, the pad will stay under me.

Other options I have for a slippery pad is putting dots of "seam grip" on the pad to create non slip surface or put velcro on the bag and pad. That doesn't address being able to roll over and the bag coming with me though.

I really wish I could afford the weight/space to take my truck camping setup. Two nylon bags zipped together on a double air mattress. I sleep better on that than I do my bed at home. Alas, it'd be just too big/heavy for the bike.
  2. sgmartz

sgmartz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hahaha, sir you just need to buy the matching big agnes bag for your pad...

big agnes sleeping bags are designed with no insulation at all under the back area, in its place is a big pocket that you slide your sleeping pad into....thus your problems are solved....

in your case, it would work, but youll just make the room inside your bag smaller....

fwiw, ive had my big agnes bag for a few years and love it...

although my next bag will be a western mountaineering...but im a climber too, overkill for any adv trip
  3. sgmartz

sgmartz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Flounder

Flounder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sgmarts hit the nail on the head. If you dislike your bag and currently own a BA pad, the easy solution is buying a BA bag. All BA bags don't include any fill in the bottom half of the bag. Instead, they have a sleeve to accommodate your BA pad. The idea being the pad provides the insulation anyway, so why fill the bottom of the bag with fill you're just going to squash when you lay down on it.

I'm a BA dealer. I would say the two most popular bags are the Lost Ranger (15 degree down) and the Encampment (15 degree synthetic).

I bet that will solve any complaints you have about falling off your pad.
  5. Buster452

Oddometer:
    I realize a big Agnes bag would be the optimum solution. I'm just looking for a solution to hold me over until I bite the bullet and get a big Agnes bag.

Probably get something like a hog park when I do.

The bag I have isn't horrible. I'll just have to work with it for now. I might try the pad inside next time just to see. I should have room in there for it.

Thanks,
    Buster
  6. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:
    I also have a BA pad , and use a mummy bag , I find that I slde off to the sides , and if I lay on my back , my arms fall to the tent floor, so I usually put my riding pants on one side of me and my jacket on the other side which sort of extends the width of the pad and keeps me centered on it .
    Not the best solution but it helps .
  7. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love mine! It packs big (basketball size in a compression bag) but it is way comfortable for a big guy. :thumb
  8. sgmartz

sgmartz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah That's the other trick I'd try is putting something like a bag next to you so you can't roll off

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  9. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look in the vendor forum
    Full Throttle Camping has their garage sale in progress,good deals on Big Agnes bags,including several of the Park series.

Then you can use your BA pad as intended.

JR356
  10. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what I used to do when in the millitary. Pad in the bag, with the liner in it tooso I had the liner between me and the bag and pad, and the whole works in a core tex bivy bag. Kept the pad in place and made packing it all up that much easier.
  11. Buster452

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up, but their Park series sale price at full throttle is still way more than what REI sells them for.
  12. banshee

banshee hi

Oddometer:
    big agnes bag with sleeping pad inside changed my life. I am being dramatic but it sure makes sleeping in a tent much more enjoyable.
  13. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:
    I have the BA lone ranger with the matching pad. Its amazing, when used spearately I hate them both. But when used together its a magical combination of bliss, comfort, and warmth that cannot be matched.
  14. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always had problems with my sleeping bag sliding off the sleeping pad ever since I bought a sleeping pad until one day my buddy showed me that I can put the sleeping pad inside the sleeping bag and my life will forever be changed. No more sore body parts from sliding off the sliding pad and onto the side of tent or on protruding rocks as it fits perfectly inside my sleeping bag. I am sure it's warmer too because the pad is inside the bag and not outside.
  15. algie1100

algie1100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the BA setup with bag and pad and while it is top quality gear I always felt like I was in a straight jacket so I sold them. I picked up a nice NF down bag and an Exped pad. What works for me is to use the bag like a quilt and sleeping on the pad with the bag draped over. I can move around as much as I like and I'm always covered without feeling constricted.
  16. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1 to all the comments about the BA bag/pad combo. The thing I like about it also is that I wriggle around a lot and with the pad in the pocket of the bag, I can twist and turn to my hearts content and I don't end up with the bag all twisted up so I can't move.

The BA bag/pad combo makes camping so (so) much better - only thing I am not keen on is blowing the bloody pad up but I have figured out a way to do that (and when de-flating, just undo the valve while lying in it before you get up - works a treat).
  17. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHVFeS3uw0

After my last car trip with the girlfriend and having to blow 2 bags up, I am going to get the schnozzel pump bag.
  18. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    That is very interesting. I actually use a Slime pump and an adapter made from an old cycle tube but it takes forever and it's a little LOUD for me. I have something similar to this that I need to try again - I wasn't impressed first time I used it. Someone on here did start a thread on a battery powered pump that is very small and seems promising but I can't find the thread now - I might give that a go.

Pumping the pad up aside, it's a really great pad that is very very comfortable.
  19. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was thinking of using my slime also, but if it takes a while, I probably wont.
  20. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually if you look close,all the FTC Park deals are bundles,including pads,which accounts for the prices..
    I did not notice that until now.

JR356