Honda XL500 a Waste of My Time and Money?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dirtgrain, Mar 31, 2006.

1. beezerjoe

beezerjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did this on my friends 79. I converted his to 12 volt just because you can't find 6v stuff everywhere. The problem with the conversion is that there is not enough wattage to run the headlamp and the rest of the lights on just DC. So I had to put in a 12v AC regulator and wire the headlamp back into the original AC circuit. Works like a charm and is a simple and low cost conversion.
  2. Oddyssey

Oddyssey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I found a project. And in researching found this place. Some of your comments made me buy it! Anyway its an 82 xl500r. PROJECT. Some missing parts. and no known real history. The main thing missing is the ignition switch. I dont really need that but, I want to try and start it to see what I have. The engine seems tight but again no ignition switch. I would like some comments on how to hotwire it. Looks like I jumper (short) red to black and green to blk/w on the ignition switch coupler? I dont want to do anything to destroy the electronics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  3. misteroldschool

misteroldschool pain monster

Oddometer:
    sorry to bring this back from the dead but iv got an 81 xl500 that iv been doing alot of trips on, recently did a 3 day trip actually, im wondering if there is anyone who makes panniers/boxes for it? iv searched alot and couldent find anything, im thinking about just buying some sheet metal and making my own, but then the question of how do i mount them comes into play :hmmmmm
  4. notsoblas'e

notsoblas'e Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im suprised theres posts in this thread saying they were a hard starter.....just kick them through slow until the decompressor clicks, let kicker back up to top of stroke and give it a prod.....too easy.

And yes, they were the ultimate mono/wheelie bike to the point I have seen people take to the front guard with a hacksaw to shorten it to stop it flapping/twisting around on those loooooonggggggg 70mph balance point wheelies.
  5. misteroldschool

misteroldschool pain monster

Oddometer:
    mine starts on the first kick every time, you just have to know how to use the compression release right, that little lever under the clutch lever is your best friend ;)
  6. notsoblas'e

notsoblas'e Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That must be on the later models then? or maybe US spec models.
    I cant recall any of the 79-81 twin shock Aussie spec (S/SA/SB) bikes having a handlebar mounted manual decomp- it was always a kickstart activated decomp?
  7. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    My 1979 US model has only the kicker operated decomp, no handlebar lever.

A bitch to start when new, it got better, but never really easy after it got broken in. Not too bad once I got used to it, but if I lay it down, it floods and reverts to bitch-hood.
  8. Pvt.Joy

Pvt.Joy n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings Thumperers - I joined ADV to ask you-all's advices... There's a person local to me who "Bought the bike from original owner , its outstanding condition, all equipment is original , only 2,345 miles... So why am I selling it ? because its quite difficult for me to start it, dont get me wrong , is in GREAT mechanical condition, I forgot how good of compression this bikes have and its to hard for me to start it. My son (24) starts it with ONE kick. I keep looking at it just sitting in my garage, and it too great of a bike not be ridden and I dont want to be the "guy" who collects bikes and let them sit just to gather dust."

I haven't talked to the current owner nor have I seen the bike in person yet so, other than the description quoted above, I don't know anything more.

So, the advices I seek from you all is - is a "1980 Honda XL500 dual sport , on/off road - $2400" worth what the guy is asking for it or, is his price way too high? :hmmmmm

Please answer by post reply AND at moakvik@comcast.net as I can check my email from work but cannot access this website.
    Any and all advices would be appreciated before I make the possible mistake of drastically overspending!

Here's a picture of the bike that the current owner sent me...

Attached Files:

9. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    More like 700 to 1200, it is a fun bike but not worth 2400.
  10. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    I had a 83 XL600R that was in great condition. I bought it in 2000 and I loved it. Easy starting, silly fun, and well worth the $900.00 smackers I paid for it. I regret trading it for a decked out TRX250R quad. :huh the XL was way more versatile and cheaper to operate.
  11. LoCoMatt

LoCoMatt Busy

Oddometer:
    An XL500S in great cosmetic and mechanical shape could probably fetch $2k where I'm at (DC area).
  12. Pvt.Joy

Pvt.Joy n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Minneapolis, MN area if that makes any price difference...? (Shouldn't as we can only ride about 3 months out of the year here!)

Attached Files:

13. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    Just for perspective (Not my add)

2002 suzuki dr 650 - $2400 (Minneapolis)
    [​IMG]

I just looked this up.
  14. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    I am looking at a 1980 project xl 500, :D

lots cheaper then that 2400 one, but nowhere near as nice:deal
  15. zoo mob

zoo mob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are these for a taller rider? I'm 6'3 and don't plan on riding around the world or anything, but don't want it to be torture to do 100 miles.
  16. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:
    Stock seat is not a an all day rider kinda thing. And will be a little short for the 6'3" rider. An XL600 would be better, or even betterer for you, the XR650.

The 500's are a ton of fun, wheelie popping machines, that will go fast. But they are 80's tech, smaller, and not designed to handle anything over 65 for long periods of time. Been through the XL500S, and the XL600. Wish I still had one for the weekends.
  17. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:
    Faster and with the magic button. Good point comparison.
  18. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    This thread has remained dormant for far too long :deal (Assuming this is the official XL500 thread.......)

Just picked up this 1981 XL500S (12,000 miles) from a co-worker for $150. The good is it starts right up without any stress, idles well without any strange noises and it doesn't seem to burn oil. The bad so far is a major oil leak coming from what looks like the head or valve cover, blown forks and shocks, blown wheel bearings amongst other things. Planning on a major tune up and a lot of cleaning/repairs should be a fun project tough.

Anyway please school me on the cam chain tensioners. From what I've read it is very important to keep it adjusted properly but I have no idea where to start or what to look for... :ear

[​IMG]
  19. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    This is the active thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424841
  20. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    ^ Thanks! :D