Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    SR, nice to see the pic of me riding through Xalapa with Craneguy turned out so well.
    3rd in your sequence. 4th one was the next weekend, in Cardel.

Meanwhile, nothing says fun like being balls deep back in the sierra!
    Somewhere out there, there is an ocean...Somewhere closer, there was an ocean

[​IMG]

Hey Craneguy, I finally found out where this badboy lives. He was asking about you. He's getting a little skinny.

[​IMG]

This is what crowd control looks like in the sierra to keep the lemmings and curious ADV riders away from the edge.
    Nothing says fun like being tangled up in rusty alambre de puas before a few thousand foot drop! Hope I can get
    a close up of that landslide on the mountain some time.

[​IMG]

La casa del Padrino...se llama Marlon to you.

[​IMG]
  3. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    We used that in reference to "breaking wind" :evil
  4. Habibi Rocks

Habibi Rocks Banned

Oddometer:
    Hello , Hello RMO !!!!! If you cannot make it on the motorbike and have to resort to kombi then
    remember in Mexico city there exist 2 main bus stations ......... 1 services destinations north of Mexico city.
    The other called " Tapo" services destinations to the south of Mexico City . HOWEVER, there is a new bus station at the airport terminal in Mexico city. (nice premier class buses with wifi and snacks) For sure you can leave there direct for Puebla without getting a cab all the way to Tapo bus station . Do your homework for whatever best suits your desires. "Capu" is Puebla's main bus station . http://www.capu.com.mx/capu/ .
  5. Inked

Inked Tattooed Biker

Oddometer:
    I have been down in Mexico recently and it was a-ok. Enjoy!
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Keep spreading the word that Mexico is safe.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Here is more on the the topic about riding in Mexico from AnjinSan who stayed with us. (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810189&page=13) Read his ride report - very well done and a different perspective about North America.

"Tom: yeah, at the moment of this writing we are out of Mexico and even though I recognize that it might not be the same for everyone, for us Mexico was just very nice and full of nice people that left us a with a wonderful impression. Writing the ride reports for those parts of the trip makes me think that I would go there again, someday, somehow."
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Psst! It was Sjoerd.
    He's been everywhere:eek1
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Take care Shawn! Hope that you have a safe and fun trip!
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Will be in Laredo on business tomorrow and expect to cross the border and spend the afternoon in Nuevo Laredo. If anyone is there and wants to get together for an Indio or 8 then drop me a line.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding in Hermosillo tomorrow at lunch time for a meeting. A chance to split lanes by following the pizza delivery guys. Hermosillo drivers remind of Boston drivers. Yeah, that bad.
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you know when a Pueblano has moved into your neighborhood?
    The Jarochos start buying car insurance.
  14. AK Smitty

AK Smitty Self life coach

Oddometer:
    This is a duplicate post from the CA route planning thread. I will be looking at the link there from the other guy this happen to but any information would be helpful.

Just copied and pasted since I assume I will be hearing from all the usual suspects

START DUPLICATE POST
    SB your comments are spot about the TC. I just got issues a 30 day one eventhough I said I was just touring Mex. It all works for me bc I flying out of PV back to AK for a few weeks. So on my return flight I will just get a new TC.

Had I been going straight though it would have been a major problem.

OH SHIT!!! I just checked my TVIP and it is only for 30 days!!!!

Any suggestions on getting this corrected???? Damn IT!!!! I thought TVIP was always for 6 months and the lady at the counter said they could only do TC for 30 days but like I said I didnt care.

I wished I had noticed this in Maz and I would have tried to correct at the ferry terminal.

Fire away with the bad or good new boys!!! What is my best plan to handle all this now?
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The TVIP will always be for the same term as you visa/TC. I'm thinking you can head to the nearest Banjercito office and ask for mercy but I doubt they will be able to do anything and you are probably going to have to go to immigration and turn in the tourist visa and get a new one for 180 days (not free). Then do the same thing at the Banjercito. You will get your deposit back at the current exchange rate then pay it again. You will be out the initial fee you paid unless you find a sympathetic ear and someone who knows how to force the computer to cooperate.

How many days do you plan on being in Mexico?

Buenes suerte and report back to the rest of us with the outcome.

Where are you at the moment?
  16. AK Smitty

Oddometer:
    I am in San Blas. Had a hell of day trying to rely on Goji Ruji. I knew better but I think my late night at Joe's Oyster Bar clouded my judgement.

I fly back to AK on the 9th and am storing my bike in PV. I return in 3 weeks for a 4 month ride to Peru. My TC is not an issue because I am in and out of Mex with in the 30 days on each trip. Its the whole leaving the bike in PV and the TVIP will expire before I return.

I will give it a shot at sorting it out in PV. I am not sure where to even go.

17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much would you like to wager?
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    The Lone Rider experience revived
  19. AK Smitty

Oddometer:
    I am only processing constructive criticism at this time. :rofl I remain optimistic that I will get this all sorted in PV.

I will post my disappointment and mental melt down in 4-5 days. All sarcastic responses will be welcome at that time. :D

20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM with my opinion on your situation.

It's just my opinion.