Hyper sport touring?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by uraberg, Jan 30, 2013.

1. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to hear from people who've setup their Hayabusa, ZX14, Blackbird (even bandit 1250, although not the same category) etc. for sport touring. I'm really considering a getting ZX14 all bagged out, but I'd love to hear what people's experiences have been, with regards to two up riding / passenger comfort, all day riding (800 and up miles per day), fuel mileage, and what mods are really required.

And post some pics!
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are 3 threads in this forum where inmates have posted this info. Search for the Blackbird, 'Busa and ZX14 threads and you will find what you're looking for with lots of pics..
  3. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
  4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
  5. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got this monstrosity.......05 R1, and there are still changes and ideas going on. a month away from a 4 day test ride and about 7 month to a 1 month trip around the South West.

[​IMG]
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the Connie and a ZX14 and ZX14R. The C14 is a great bike but it ain't a ZX14, much less the R. It all depends on what you want and like. The Connie won't do for some and the ZX won't do for others. You gotta' decide. I'll go w/the ZX-R all day long. This is why they make different bikes. Good time to be a rider. Enjoy what you got or get what you'll enjoy.

FYI: I pull about 34-35 mpg's when commuting easily on the Brocked-out, reflashed 14R.
  7. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hyper powerful 14R handles great in the local twisties, and is smooth and comfortable in a straight line.

I bought the 14R in October, so no touring so far due to winter here at 9,000ft.

For touring I've added heli-bar risers and lower pegs, plus homebuilt pannier racks and top rack. The verdict is still out regarding a new saddle and screen.
    Both seem fine so far but I'll need to do more miles before deciding. I've had four Corbins in the past so I'll go that route if needed.

Givi E21 panniers and E360 top box
    [​IMG]

In Sport mode .... Aprilia SL1000R, Sprint ST, and ZX14R
    [​IMG]
  8. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I've typed this in a ton of threads already... but the ZX14 is a great tourer. I never did any 2up touring, but I've done many 4 hour straight highway runs(with only gas stops), and a bunch of back road days. It's amazing. When mine got stolen I went with the triumph Sprint GT, similar handling/chassis, less power, but awesome factory luggage, better stock seat/position, and better MPGs. But it was a close decision, if the ZX wasn't stolen, I'd have it set up with better hard luggage and bar risers.
  9. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any hyper sport touring discussion isn't complete without the BMW K1300S.
  10. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 .... All the Sprint 955 / 1050 variants are fine sport tourer's. As you can see, I'm not a fan of the Sprint ST OEM panniers, but these top loading Givi's are great !

[​IMG]
  11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I can go a little more sport if needed. Superbike bar kit and some Buell pegs. I've done 780 miles in a day on this thing.
    [​IMG]
  12. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a ZX14 with SW-Motech quicklock racks with Givi V35. The racks comes of and on in 30sec for that clean look when not touring. Bags-connection tankbag. This summer i am going to add a Givi 45L topcase.
    I have original screen,saddle,pegs and havent raised the bars. I go touring in Europe for 2-3 weeks and i am very happy with the bike, its a tru sport-tourer:thumb
    The original saddle isent the best, but good enough for me, but for two up i whould get the C14 saddle or custom made saddle.
    I whould have tried to get bigger cases then the V35.
    The BMW K1300S is somthing worth a look, even the older K1200S but i whould only buy 2007 and 2008 of the K1200S.
  13. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I was at this same place today....hypersport touring on my Ninja 1000. :clap

[​IMG]