2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear that changing the sprocket helped. I'm going in for my 600 mile service in a few days and I'm having the dealer install the sprocket at the same time.

News at eleven...
  2. OneTraveller

OneTraveller Social Reject

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in this sprocket change. I'm looking at changing over to a set of TKC 80 tires but am concerned about low speed driveability. Currently, my bike idles at 8-10 mph. A lower first gear would really help with dirt riding.

The same vendor also has 40 and 42 teeth rear sprockets for the Multi 1200.
    http://ca-cycleworks.com/50900d

So gearing options would include...

Front. Rear. Ratio
    15.......40.....2.67--Stock

Mike
  3. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I never go off road, but I am sure hoping for better "standing starts".
    I'm sure the lower gearing will lend itself to a bit of Hooliganism as well. :lol3
  4. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this question over in the other Multistrada thread, then noticed this thread........so sorry to duplicate.
    Any of you guys change your bars? I need to get the width down to 900mm or less.
  5. Shakey Dave

Shakey Dave n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

Brand new to the forum. I'm currently riding an 07 Tiger 1050 that I've had for five years. I thought it would be all the bike I would ever want, or ever need, but then I read this forum, and all the great stuff about the new Multistrada. So I test rode one to see what all the fuss was about. To all those who said 'DONT test ride one because you will have to have one', thanks, you were so right. What a ride! The satin silver of the demo bike didn't do it for me though, the red was very nice but then, the salesman showed me a new Pikes Peak being prepared for it's lucky owner. It was stunning. I put the deposit down and ordered one there and then. It's the only bike I've ever bought brand new. What have I done? Have I really just put a crazy amount of money down just for a bike? I'm just so glad I could afford it because otherwise I would have sold the wife and kids.

Now waiting for my new Pikes Peak to arrive at the dealers:D
  6. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Congrats and welcome. :clap There are two multistrada threads in the beasts forum and Ducati.MS also has a pretty active Multistrada forum. How long is your wait? Mine took a few weeks, but I just noticed today when I stopped by to pick up my plate that they have one in the showroom now.
  7. Shakey Dave

Shakey Dave n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks EJ

My MTS PP will be in the dealers next week, so it was about four weeks from ordering. AFAIK there are no PPs in stock in the UK so it looks like supply hasn't quite caught up with demand yet.

Sadly I wont be able to collect mine for another three weeks as I'm working offshore in the gulf of Mexico. I have never looked so forward to getting home! Meanwhile it gives me plenty of time to trawl this site for all the useful info you guys have posted.
  8. FiveG

FiveG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem I'm having with my S Touring is that it's tough to find any significant farkles to do. I've put a GPS and camera mount, frame sliders, and a header and radiator guard, but other than that, it's pretty much set up.
  9. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    This is definitely a problem with these bikes. At least it's more of a challenge. :evil

May I suggest you compliment your Multi with a WR250R? I have been farkling mine for years and I'm still not done....
  10. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just ride the damn thing..........:clap
  11. Soultwater

Soultwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took a test ride last year so I’m sure it was a 2013. After selling my KTM 950 SE I thought it would be much the same feel but I was surprised to find is a little more powerful and better handling on the road. I’m sure the off road capability was not even close to the KTM but it did feel really nice. Since they don’t make the SE any longer this would be my bike to replace it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  12. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    If it was last year it was probably a 2012, as I don't think the 2013 demo bikes hit dealers until January.
  13. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    Just had my 600 mile service at the Dealer and I had them replace the 15 tooth front sprocket with a 14 tooth while it was there.
    While making the 45 minute ride home today I couldn't get this stupid grin off my face. :D

Friends, you just won't believe the difference. Standing starts are much easier and it makes you think this is the way the bike should have been geared from the get go.

6th gear at 4,000 rpm is 60 mph, 6,000 rpm is 100 mph, and you can get there in a damn flash.
    Once I've had a chance to top off the tank and check the mpg, I'll edit this post with that information. The two previous tanks I was getting 41 - 43 mpg.

The drivability of the bike is so improved that regardless of the mileage difference (assuming there will be one), I'll never change it back.
    The 14 tooth sprocket is a bit hard to find, so here's the link to where I bought mine.
    http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/final-drive/front-sprockets/52900d

Between buying the sprocket, shipping and labor I have less than $100 in it.

Do it.
  14. Buzzworm

Buzzworm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after battling my local dealership for 3 hours (I had a trade in) I walked away extremely happy with the deal I got. Brand new red 2013 Multi S Touring is in my garage. If it wasn’t 15,000 Kelvin outside (I’m in Houston) I would have put 100 miles on it on the way home. …The dealership is 3 miles from my house. :lol3

Question – dealership is offering a 7 year warranty, Ducati’s 2 years and the dealership 5 years. Cost for this is ~ $1,500 This includes a separate tire and rim warranty, not fixing flats, rims etc but replacing them like for like, get a flat get a new tire. On my previous bikes I was maybe averaging 5K miles a year. However those were not Ducati’s and I have a feeling I’m going to be riding this one a lot more. This extended warranty does not cover scheduled service. Should I save my money or is this a good deal? The tire/rim warranty by itself is $500.
  15. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    that sounds about right for 5 years with tires - I picked up a 4 year extended without any tire coverage for around 700. This bike has some expensive bits and it seemed worth it to me. I have a 2010 and people were dealing with porous heads and bad rear shocks. I never had those problems (other than the shock ecu crapping out) but that sort of stuff is very expensive to fix. If you can afford it, I would say that with tires thats a reasonable deal. You can also shop around for deals from other dealers -- you don't have to buy the extended warranty from your dealer, but they might be more likely to honor it if you do. I think overall most people don't see value in an extended warranty, either they don't ride the bike much or sell it after a few years, but on a ducati if you plan to ride it and keep it awhile, it will probably pay off. I plan on keeping my 2010 for at least 100k miles so we'll see. I hope to never use the warranty but I bet I do.
  16. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've gone through 2 tires in 7500 miles due to road hazards. At roughly 200 bucks per tire plus mounting, let's call it $500. Across seven years? Hell of a deal! The rest of the warranty comes free!
  17. Buzzworm

Buzzworm Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the input. Thats exactly what I was thinking. Most of Houston's streets are pockmarked with pot holes or badly patched ones. It’s like dodging land mines. Coverage is through Zurich and I have read mixed reviews. I guess I need to look at this as "insurance" and figure out if I need it or not. The offer does not expire it just goes back to the date I bought the bike so I have time to decide.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  18. marty_uiuc

marty_uiuc moran

Oddometer:
    Traded in a m1100 and a tiger 800xc for a base 2013 today. I test rode the bike and immediately fell in love with it. It does everything the monster could do, but better. Its also a bit more comfortable than the tiger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  19. M0t0Rider

M0t0Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Running stock handgrips I was feeling the same issues you describe. Installed Grip Puppies which padded the grips and made them fatter.
    Much better control now, not feeling that lathargic bottom end anymore.

"Big hands need fat grips"

20. FiveG

FiveG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in experience with tires for primarily asphalt, but occasional dirt/gravel town roads thrown in. When I get to the point of replacing the OEM Scorpions, any suggestions? Do Pilot Road 3s work for that?

Most of my riding is on asphalt with a frisky throttle hand, so I don't want a heavy duty dual sport tire.