HF Tire Changer alternative

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaestroPNW, Apr 18, 2013.

1. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was about to get myself an HF tire changer only to discover that it is discontinued.
    What is my next cheapest alternative? Ebay is full of HF replicas, but I'm somewhat confused, as some of them list tire size up to 16.5'' while very similarly looking units claim to go all the way up to 25;;.
    For instance - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item460e893cb4&vxp=mtr - claims 25''

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Moto..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ae8997249&vxp=mtr - claims 16'' looks pretty much the same.
    Besides ebay, what can I get without going into ~$500 range?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, please kindly recycle electrons :)
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Those are the HF tire changers, but not ready for MC tires. They would need an additional $150 woth of stuff to make them useful without damaging the wheels.

There are other options out there that are made for MC wheels that are about $250-300. The No Marr low line, which I can't remember the name of, has some options.

Jim :brow
  3. jad3675

jad3675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cycle Hill, though it has crept up in price to about $450 or so.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product_p/tc-cycle hill standard.htm

John
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Dang, saw some really neat ones at the bike show weeks ago. Forget the brand though.
  5. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Given that nomar starts at about 450, spending some on the HF still seems reasonable - why would they damage wheels?
  6. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah. They quit carrying it for awhile. I didn't know they had started carrying it again.
  9. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    The first link is just for the top part only. Their title even says "no base" which means the bottom portion isn't included in that auction. That's why the bottom half of the tire changer is sort of greyed out because you aren't buying that part, although you do need it to be able to use the top part. They are 2 separate pieces, but both are required for MC tires. That also explains why you see a difference in description on what they can do.

The 2nd link appears to be the full combo with both parts of the tire changer which you need to do motorcycle tires. The bottom part is only good up to about 16" or so and then the top portion which I know can do 21" tires, and probably 23" tires. In the 2nd link, their main description is mostly about the lower half of the tire change which changes like trailer type tires and maybe small car tires. The top half is explained in the side margin under this.

Overall both top parts look the same and exactly like the HF tire changer, so they should work.

BTW, I owned a HF Tire changer for 10+ years. I finally sold it late last year when I upgraded to the No-Mar Tire changer; The classic or what ever the lowest model is. I actually bought it at the IMS show in Atlanta. The HF gets the job done, but the No Mar is super nice.
  10. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    As long as you have both the base and the motorcycle attachment, that's really all you technically need. Even though the clamps are metal, I never found that they really marked up the rims that bad. However, you definitely need some sort of rim protector because that red bar will mark the hell out of your rims if you don't have something between it and the rim. I showed above that I used cut up shampoo bottles which seemed to work really well.
  12. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    I have the Harbor freight tire changer with the motorcycle tire adapter, when used in conjunction with the mojo adapters and mojo bar from Preston Drake it is pretty darn good.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

A buddy of mine gave me the tire changer with adapter, so i just had to buy the bar and blocks from Preston.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

The lips on the stock changer are just sharp edged metal. You need to add some protection. See this: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Change.html

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
  14. Trander

Trander PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer:

I have the exact same combination and it works good for me as well.
  15. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
  16. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Well first off, that's only the bottom half. That doesn't include the MC attachment part and looking at Northern Tool, I don't see it listed.

Also, unless they juts aren't showing it as the bottom half looks identical to the HF version, it doesn't have the extended feet that probably make it more stable when bolted down, but even more than that, one of the feet as the bottom half of the bead breaker on it so that is strange.
  17. ggrimes2

ggrimes2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    www.nomartirechanger.com

I've used one of theirs for many years. This is a basic tire changer made for motorcycle's by motorcycle riders. This has all the features you might need and the price if pretty good. A lot of clubs get together and buy one as a group item.

I now own a small "ranger style" car tire changer that came with the motorcycle attachments. It was made in China and as arrived it was a POS have a friend who's a machinist and we redesigned or fixed all the issues. If I had to pay someone the cost would have been more than the changer was worth. Many is the time I wish I still had the "no mar" manual changer.

If you wish to go into a semi-auto type changer go on-line and see what greg smith has to offer. The sell a lot of bottom end made in China item but they back products and have some quality control checks which insure you don't get total crap. The changer's they sell look just like the one I purchased but they work out of the box which is more than mine did.
  18. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    First off, big thanx to JimVonBaden and BlueLghtning for putting together and sharing the "how-to-use" tutorials. :thumb

I bought a HF tire changer and motorcycle adaptor a few years ago, promptly losing the (useless) directions, and have been pondering in fear and ignorance on how to actually use this device. Now I have knowledge, confidence and need to spend more money on blocks and a mount/demount bar.

Incidentally, I was wondering if anyone had used the "lower half" to actually change a car or truck tire?
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I changed a 12" & a 14" trailer tire on the main HF unit. I never tried with any kind of car or truck tire though.

20. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    So I watched the video on the Nomar, to change a dirt tire. He uses regular tire spoons to mount and remove the tire, and the device simply holds the wheel in place. Am I missing something? How is that $450 better than the milk crate I use? If it removed and seated the tire easier I could see the benefit. Maybe that's just a dirt tire issue?