The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm the exception but their website doesn't give me any where enough information to justify a $3500 price tag.

If I'm spending that kind of money I want to know how the thing works. I want to see cut aways. Not just some pics of a shiny tin can with a bunch of claims as to what it can do.
  2. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:

Tongue weight with the DRZ on it will be slightly over 600lbs, yeah a bit heavy, but I've done a lot of research and with a WDH it will be fine (and I already have air bags). I was already thinking of a rack for the back, just don't want to end up with a trailer longer then what I wanted...........oh wait I already did that :D
    Good idea on checking the tire rating, I have put a lot of thought into this, but that is one thing I overlooked.

The kids are grown up and if we take any grand kids with us they can sleep in a tent :lol3 although there is 2 bunks that we plan on using for storage......moto gear and such.
    I'll post up more pics after we get it home, there are some here in this link http://www.forrestrvs.com/inventory/135978/New-2012-Jayco-Jay-Flight-Swift-SLX-154BH.aspx

I've been looking, just not sure which ones to get yet.
  3. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Any way you could put a rack on the back that would take a DRZ? Sure would lighten your tongue weight?
    Lyle
  4. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Still beating the trailer tire thing to death...:dhorse ...but only because I'd hate for anyone to go through what we did with ours.

'They' will tell you trailer tires have a much shorter lifespan mainly due to their being used less. Check them out very carefully.:deal Consider replacing them regardless. In any event, keep the correct amount of air in them.

Nice looking rig you got there.:thumb It's gonna be a load of fun!
  5. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Not enough tongue weight is not good either. They recommend 10-15 % of the loaded trailer weight.
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Does it have a negative affect on handling?
    Lyle
  7. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sure as hell can! It is worse with light weight, short wheelsbase tow vehicles, and "light" single axle trailers, because a shift of that much weight compared to the total trailer weight could easily put you into a negitive tounge weight. That would be very bad because it pulls up on the rear axle of the tow vehicle (and it gets maginfied over bumps), which leaves the majority of the weight on the steer axle and the trailer axle making for an 3 ton accordian on crack. My 21' (about 4000') tandem trailer when towed with my Titan would get VERY squirlly with a 240lbs ish dirt bike on the back rack. Did it once, and never again. Cross winds were particularlly hairy.

As for the WDH, for that setup just about any of them will be fine. The truck and hitch (assuming you aren't pulling on the actual bumper) is probably rated for 500lbs tounge, 5000 lbs total WITHOUT a WDH so a WDH hitch wouldn't have to work that hard, if the 600lbs are correct and there are already airbags, I would get fairly light spring bars espcially if you are going to be on rough roads. I would be far more concerned about the bike touching the truck in tight corners (like backing into a camp spot).
  8. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Everything DWayne said. It's very dangerous especially for a single axle trailer to be too light on the tongue. Like he said plus it greatly increases the possibility of severe sway or fishtailing, which can lead to really catastrophic events.

Make sure your welder guy knows what he's doing to modify the tongue and definitely get n accurate weighing on it before you tow at highway speeds.

Too much or too little tongue weight are both bad things. Actually too little is worse. If you don't have towing experience, you might consider a WDH and a sway controller. Or just stay off the interstate until you have a good feel for the setup.
  9. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't want to jack the thread but I've got a question. I've been thinking of a small trailer like that. Would it be possible to extend the tongue for a small bike like a DRZ & extend the rear for another small bike. That would balance pretty well. I need to haul 2 bikes & I don't really like ramping them up into the bed of the truck. The trailer would be much lower, easier to load. What do you guys think? How can a person tell if the frame could handle the weight? What should I look for? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Murf
  10. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Look for a very substantial sub frame. Most little/light trailers are made to be little and light and they skimp on materials. I don't think I'd hang even a small bike off the back of my Casita without some serious modifications. That being said if you are clever or know a good welder the sub frame can certainly be beefed up on most trailers.

It's certainly doable, but I'd have to defer to "eyes on the job" to know if any particular trailer can handle such a thing. I'd say there probably aren't any that would do so without being beefed up a lot.

If you pull that off, I'd like to hear about it!
  11. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    The tires looked good (they were parked where they did not see much sun), but I will take a better look at them.

Still need to do more research on this, after the modification the tongue weight will be around 600lbs with the bike and the GTW will be around 3,300lbs
    And yes I will make sure the bike will not be in-bedded in the truck or trailer if it is jack-knifed.

I onced (years ago) towed my Baja, less motor, but with the transaxle hanging over the back on my 3 railed trailer............all was good until I got up to speed on the freeway :eek1

And I have a few friends that are great fab guys, but I am taking the trailer to a place that specializes in modifying trailers to make sure it's done right, the trailer frame will be getting beefed up from the tongue to the rear bumper.
  12. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:

Oh boy! Someone's taking me camping! :clap:clap:rofl:1drink:freaky:lol3
  13. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    *fixified... :kumbaya
  14. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    Inside pics road rash?
  15. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a comparable but much cheaper version of a little stove like this Kimberly? (post1712/1713)
  16. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like a fancy version of a "rocket" stove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove
  17. Road Rash

Oddometer:
  18. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
  19. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    Made a visit to the Fab shop yesterday to check on the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The center channel tubing runs all the way to the back of the trailer that will have a receiver hitch attached to it for carrying a bicycle rack or maybe TG's Ruckus if it doesn't affect the handling.
    I am also upgrading the wheels and tires to 14in to handle the added weight.
    ACR likes this.
  20. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Oh heck yeah! That'll do the job. :clap

BTW, if you could fit 15" wheels and tires on there you'd have a lot more tire options.

Looking great!