nwgs motorhome addiction and therapy thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2009.

1. sailwing2003

sailwing2003 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kulha,

I missed your drive home report, remember you were to get the Bluebird, and had seen it for sale on another forum. Thanks for the reposting.

Hope you enjoy your's as much as we are enjoying ours that we got last March.
  2. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

:tb

Sorry you had to sell the old girl.

Your pics rock, just the type of machine that could handle those dirt roads.

:thumb
  3. Mr. J

Mr. J Banned

Oddometer:
  4. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Nice pictures. Surprisingly, I've seen a number of those Cortez rigs. I love the second picture. That is a classy looking restoration. The green one has the typical homely look of an English machine. I could see it talking to Thomas the tank engine. I'd take any one of them for a summer. I'd never give the second one back.
  5. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    I've got a friend that has a Cortez, and they have a very dedicated cult following.

they really neat little rigs. get good gas mileage, and are very practical....

......but $$$$$$$$!!! (if you can find one!)
  6. Daniii

Daniii geezer

Oddometer:
    I posted a story here a while back about doing a ski week at the Otsego Ski Club in Gaylord Mich in a Cortez about 1961, with my parents.

But I won't bore you all with it again....:evil
  7. Mr. J

Mr. J Banned

Oddometer:
    it's fine. i've never had any experience with them, but didn't want this thread to get lost in the annals
  8. George Papadopolis

George Papadopolis between

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a Nissan Armada to be my tow rig. Wife is luke warm to the trailer stuff so going to break her in slow. I'm going to rent a trailer in February for. 3 day shake down/ test. If seen a couple of places in Portland that rent trailers...any reccomdations?
  9. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Joining the assylum!!

[​IMG]

1994 Fleetwood Flair, 22 fter

Going to be trying this as a full time home
  10. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    more info and pictures!
  11. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Will be coming soon! I did all the paperwork and checked it out, will be picking it up on Thursday evening, so expect pictures and a write-up this weekend.

I live in brooklyn at the moment and work in manhattan. Its my goal to make this self-sustaining (I have minimal electrical needs) and be able to park it on the street, moving for weekly street cleaning.

So, yeah. I'm going to be needing to learn from all of this lists experiences.

More info to follow!
  12. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of full timing in a major city- at least not in anything more than a stalker van. This should be interesting.
  13. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    GHO.Cool stuff, I think the trick will be to move it pretty often. There is a pretty big RV near me that the guy moves every week for alternate side. His neighbors hate him, but he doesn't live in it, and it is inspected, etc. You need to just lay low with it and move a bunch. I think it would be nice on JD's corner:rofl
  14. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    Perfect size.

:thumb
  15. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I agree. I think that we may go back to a 30 footer or so. The 36.5' that we have is very nice, but stupid long.
  16. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Mind sharing some of those with me? I've been looking everywhere for instances of city living motorhome experiments, but not coming up with much.

17. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    Once in a while you just kinda shake your head at these things.
    $3950 would be a fair price. It's a 20 year old motorhome for crying out loud in a down economy.
    Never know it is clean he might find a sucker, and hey, it's never had a pet in it. :lol3

WINNEBAGO MINI WINNIE BEAUTIFUL CONDITION - $8500 (PORTLAND OR)

hello i am selling my one owner very well maintained and super clean adult owned aswell. never been lived in or smoked in or had a pet inside. it has a 460 gas engine with rebuitl carb and new fuel pump too. it has power steering power brakes dash ac roof ac great working generator roof rack ladder on the back with spare tires, the inside is like brand new and hardly ever used it has full restroom with shower sink and toilet. in the kitchen area there is a dbl door fridge dbl sink microwave stove and oven booth dinette the folds into a bed over cab area the sleeps two and a full bed in the rear that sleeps two so it will sleep 6 easly it runs and drives and even still looks like new always stored under cover so no leaks. it is mechanicly sound and very dependable and super clean.give me a call if you are interested thanks for looking,
    [​IMG]
  18. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Yeah, most of that stuff has "cult followings" now. I got into one when I was really getting serious about a Travco, then went there first when I got the Boles-Aero. (The Boles list is pretty funny. Kind of a vintage clique that think the "canned ham" trailers:lol3 are the "real" Boles. Kind of like here with BMW's, or Harleys)

Ya know, just the other day after reading a post on the Travco list about "sold my 27' for a cottage" where someone had sold his non-roadworthy motorhome to someone to use for a guest cottage, I started thinking. I could park my Boles in a suitable vacant lot near the city and have what would, in effect, be a $3500/month apt. :lol3

+1

Start with Tin Can Tourist and you'll find a bunch of links from there. There's a few good full-timing forums but I can't remember their names.

Also, you know that WalMart pretty much allows "camping" in their parking lots, right? I don't know if they have any time limit, or any way to police same, but I've stayed in one three days before without anyone saying "boo" to me.
  19. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Remember this guy?
    [​IMG]
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

There are actually at least two lists devoted to WalMart camping and WalMart etiquette. Not all will let you camp out at them and much of that has to do with local ordinances. Supposedly you cannot camp out at the WalMarts near Daytona Beach, for instance. On the other hand I've been to a few where large groups of RV'ers and truckers hung out long tern.