Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
  2. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I did, I have no idea how I will catch it, but I will try....Next time I bring a car/truck down I will try to bring it.
  3. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trail rode another place this weekend - Clear Fork Resort in Butler. Only an hour and 10 minutes from Cbus.

$5 to trail ride. Trails are very easy, very beginner friendly. It's a ski resort so everything is up in elevation meaning it dries quickly. Rode it Saturday with very little to no mud.

Mike F - perfect place for Alicia! And perfect place for me to figure out the f'ing CRF. So if you want to go, I'll bring both bikes....

http://clearforkski.com/
  4. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:

I've been hearing a lot about this place. I guess they have been doing truck mud runs and all kind of stuff there.

It's on the edge of Danville riding country as well.....
  5. GailCallsMeKarl

Oddometer:
  6. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man that's PERFECT! We'll be in touch about doing a 'beginner' Sunday out there with Alicia.

I may actually head up there Thursday if I don't find anywhere better to go. Anyone interested in this, or anywhere else (TH, Danville, Hidden Springs)?
  7. Alacrity

Alacrity Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer:
    What have you heard? Didn't see much on their site.

Might be nice to throw in on the way over to Danville-ish - yea.

We did a few hours of gravel in Holmes/Coshocton then down to Dresden (nobody at the Depot) then down to Dillon and back home. Not a bad day, but too much tar. Throw Clear Fork in for dirt might work for who I'm riding with.

Anyone have something on the trails?
  8. GailCallsMeKarl

Oddometer:
    We rode it Saturday. There are no trail maps, you just wing it but nothing is complicated or difficult. Basically, main roads run through the place with trails shooting off the dirt roads.
    Check in and pay your $5 at the lodge and off you go. There might have been 6 bikes and a dozen quads there Saturday.
  9. half_price_beemer

half_price_beemer Wings-it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    any one know where to look on advrider for a thread about how to pack your gear more efficiently? I don't wanna start a threads that already exists. Any tips on how to pack enough clothes/underwear for longer trips? Hitting up the laundromat every week when I'm on a longer rider seems like my only option.
    Any suggestions on this is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  10. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    There's a thread in Equipment, I can't recall what it's called to find it tho.

One thing I can tell you that's helped me a ton on long trips is to buy 2 pairs of good synthetic dri-fit t-shirts, socks and undershorts (under armor, C9, what have you). That's all you need for under your gear, other than maybe base layers or liners. Each night, if you have access to water you can take a tiny bottle of Woolite and wash 'em, they'll hang dry and be ready for more by morning. A good pair of convertible hiking trousers/shorts (the real thin kind like REI sells) is all you need for pants. They're nice looking enough for any occasion, can be converted into shorts, and pack super small.

Using that method, I can get all my clothes and stuff into a tiny space. That'll free up some room for camping gear or what have you.
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I did 18 days on 4 pairs of underwear / socks / T-shirts; and only washed them one time along the way. I wore the same pair of basketball shorts the entire time under my MC pants, except when it was really cold out west, then I wore long johns under. But, my theory on motorcycle trips is, you are supposed to be grubby and stink; and you can't smell yourself at 80 mph anyway.

If I was doing an 18 - 30 day long trip again, to facilitate packing light, I'd bring exactly the same stuff... 4 days worth of shit, you can stretch that to 12 days without too much issue by wearing everything 3 days. There's a Wal Mart or similar everywhere, if you don't want to wash the stuff along the way, just throw it out every few days and buy a fresh pack of white tees, socks, and underwear once a week. If you are super cheap, get the tees at a Goodwill store.

Wal Mart is also a great resource for stuff you may not think you need on the road but decide halfway through the trip that you do. We went to Michigan a few years ago and it got colder than expected, an extra Wal Mart sweatshirt bought on the road was much appreciated. Goodwill can be a lifesaver too, I had to take an emergency roadside shit on a day trip once and ended up using the t-shirt I was wearing to wipe my ass. I walked, shirtless, into the next town's Goodwill and plunked down $1.00 for a natty T-shirt that I still actually have somewhere...
  12. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I wish we could somehow make T-Shit a nickname that would stick, but most people have colorful names for you anyway.
  13. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I packed very similarly to Meef and swingset for my 30 day ride; 2 pairs of gym shorts, a few dri-fit T-shirts, a few dri-fit underwares, and a heavy weight dri-fit base layer. I overdosed on socks though... wet and/or cold feet suck. I think I had 1 pair of jeans for off-bike shenanigans too. I think we ended up hitting a laundromat twice, but to be honest, I would've made it fine with one laundry stop mid way I think.

Also like meef, I ended up stopping at a Walmart to get a sweatshirt when it got colder than expected.
  14. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl

I bet he would answer to that nickname
  15. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    A laundromat? On a bike trip? :facepalm

Three pairs of socks/underwear,two pairs of them convertible shorts/pants, two tshirts, and my aerostitch fleece sweatshirt did me fine for a month out west. Planned to hit a hotel once every three days and hose everything down in the shower (including the tents fly as well as I packed it up wet most mornings) and let it all dry overnight. Ended up being more like once every five days. :1drink
  16. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    +1 on "T-Shit" lol
  17. SStiffler

SStiffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take your oldest underwear and tee shirts and throw them out as you wear them. Then you have room for stuff you acquire along the way.
  18. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

I thought it was a MOTHERFUCKIN NIGHT RIDE? where's the MF?
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I wiped my ass with them.
  20. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All these trip packing comments,you all must be some hygiene freaks of nature. Because I can't stand myself after a couple days.:eek1