Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've eliminated the real danger around here which were those nasty fonts and colors. Thanks! :clap
  2. Chrisfed

Chrisfed n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, heading to Mexico City by way of LA next April (starting from NYC). Any route suggestions to keep it safe? Must be well paved, bad back. Cheers (if I missed a similar post answering this q in another thread I apologize, not great at searching this forum yet)
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

Hope you'll keep us abreast of your plans as they develop. Sounds like you're going to be doing a whole heck of a lotta riding!

The routes I take to Mexico City are from Texas so I'll leave it to others to direct you.

Happy planning!

SchizzMan
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Skip Los Angeles.
  5. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    What bike are you taking to Baja?
  6. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    [
  7. Chrisfed

Chrisfed n00b

Oddometer:
    @trice and @schizz I can leave from TX no prob. Just visiting bro in LA then off to Mexico. Whatever you recommend I'm game! Love Mexican culture and want to it, just don't want bad things to happen! I'll be on my yamaha fz6 2008 cheers
  8. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acapulco?........I've been hearing bad things from down there.........anyone been lately?
    No computer jockeys please!
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going South has it correct. +1

Acapulco is not a lot of fun these days. 10 hotels have closed their doors, and Carlos and Charlies was on a big slide and likely wasn't going to see it through. That really says it all.

The lesson here is to avoid the urban areas. Stick to the rural areas where life is pretty much like it was years ago.
    The major urban centers are where you are likely to find the body dumps etc... like what happened here on Tuesday. Sometimes these things are just outside the urban areas but usually not in the rural areas on the libre and secondary roads. Having said this, there is more risk for residents than travelers simply based on how much travel you do inside the city on a daily basis. The chances of you having problems are far less than me for example because I have to transit the city every day at all hours.

Don't hesitate to visit Mexico, just avoid the urban centers where there have been problems and stick to the fun rural areas.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Probably the KLR. If I was trucking it to the border, but I'm not, I would take the KLX250S. Planning on riding around for about a month, want to go?
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Donnie,
    Let me get this straight. You're riding your KLR from Clarksdale to Baja ?
  12. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its been a long time since we have seen a word from this threads sponsor....trice your slipping:rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

How else would you get it there? :D I have done 5,000 mile plus trips on it in the past. It ain't nothing for a Mississippi Boy!:roflIt has over 67,000 miles on it and has been trucked/trailers for about 6,000 miles. My max one day ride is 599 miles, but there are folks that have ridden then much more! I have five motos in the garage now that I have put over 360,000 miles on!:deal

Here is a link to a 12,000 mile plus ride I took after Sheryl's death, but it was not on the KLR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708584
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    If at all possible, yes. Let's keep in touch.
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes,
    I know you can do it. It just takes me longer to ride to the border than it does to drive my truck and tow. That was my only point. That; and I'd rather drive my truck through Houston than ride my bike. If I'm going to Mexico, then I have to go through Houston which can be a royal pain.
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok!:d
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My solution for riding through large cities on a moto is to get in the far left lane and ride however fast they are driving. For me, it is far safer because you don't have the lane changing and merging traffic to contend with. Of course speed can be a bit of an issue with the 250 sometimes!:roflI especially like the HOV lanes.

Back in1987 Sheryl, Tracy and me were driving through Houston and had an 18 wheeler change lanes, hitting us in the left rear quarter panel and push the car down I10 sideways at MPH!:eek1 Totaled out a near new car, but other than a few bruises and bumps, plus a few stitches in my leg all was fine.
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Bingo!! We have a winner!!:clap
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Be back after lunch:)
    [​IMG]