BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her

Oddometer:

Hey Eagle, nice post :)..always wanted to get down there and bash around, I guess I watched Crocodile Dundee too many times, lol. Do you recall which model GS sump guard you got? I've been looking myself for one, don't like the exposed oil filter under there, thanks. I sold a set of BMW lids to a fellow down there in Melbourne couple of years ago, he painted a great picture of riding adventures there, looks like you concur :).

Update: Never mind about the sump question, I saw in your RR it was from an 1150GS!
  2. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification. I do like the fender mounting option as it is clean and also gives a better triangle for conspicuity. I don't need them for me to see down the road.

Two things convinced me about setting up a triangle up front. One, ever see a oncoming train? Hard to miss with the 3 lights. Second, I sold my RT to my brother with Motolights on the brake caliper bolts and I can see him coming for miles and can easily determine how far away he is - good depth perception.
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    No they do not, I've had both bikes and the case design is totally different, unfortunately for the purpose saving cash. But good because the newer system cases are a much better design IMO.

A photo of roadie the roadster for good measure.

[​IMG]
  4. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roadie, Is that it's name? How many of us have names for their bikes? I think I have come up with one I like but I haven't really started using it.
  5. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Back Road Burner.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
  6. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider, what cylinder head covers are those? They look like they provide good protection. I currently have SW Motech crash bars but want to remove them just because I know i'll start dragging them in the twisties.
  7. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Again I extoll the virtues of the humble Emgo trunk by means of this composite photo. The top two pics reflect the waterproof (not) backpack holding precious barley therapy.

[​IMG]

As you can see by the lower left picture, an ample supply (1 week at best as I tend to hoard it) was safely transported. The lower left shot shows the simple on/off function of its mounting bracket.
  8. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her

Oddometer:
    I have those bars on my 1150R, and although I don't know how aggressively you lean, I have been down so low on mine that I really did fear scraping, but it never happened, and my buddy behind me said he was expecting sparks at any moment, lol. My Road 2 tires have allowed me to really enjoy getting low on hard turns, and this last trip to ride the Texas Hill Country gave me the opportunity to stretch my skills on twisties. Give 'em a go.
  9. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Machine Art Moto, they work pretty well, taken a few hits while splitting lanes and have held up nicely. OEM plastic guards have proven to be far too fragile for anything beyond a parking lot drop, and I understand about steel crash bars, they will drag pretty easy in the twisties. These do drag too now and then but offer much more clearance than steel guards.

http://www.machineartmoto.com/xhead.html

Yeah, I sometimes refer to it like that, though I'm more of the Roadie. :lol3

But it is an RR, so Roadie the Roadster fits too.
  10. RedFrogTango

RedFrogTango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW - I traded in the K1300S for an R1200R (90th Anniversery model) this past weekend.
  11. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    ...and? You are leaving us hanging without the details. What (we now know), when (we also know), and WHY?

The best that I can compare to is the K1200GT and I just felt like a visitor on the bike (temporary, not quite comfortable, too big). Whereas, on the R it immediately felt like we were "family."
  12. RedFrogTango

Oddometer:
    I absolutely loved the K1300S. But the bike did not seem to hold up well to my daily commute, which accounts for the majority of my miles. My commute is about 50 miles each way via superslab, with much of it in stop-n-go traffic. I also ride a lot in the rain. The EPA mandated formulation for gas in the Chicago metro area and the 10% mandated ethanol were also a factor. In short, I felt like I was in a constatnt battle to keep the injectors of the K1300S clean and properly functioning - constantly adding fuel additives (Startron) and cleaners (Techron), replacing air filters, etc. - and still getting low speed stalls and surging. I never had these problems on my '06 R1200GS. So last week (after a sticky thermostat on the K pushed me over the edge) I finally came to the conclusion that I would be better off returning to an R1200.

Frankly, I don't expect the R1200R to handle nearly as well as the K1300S at 85+ on the highway. But it certainly is a better choice for around town and city traffic. And it certainly will hold up better to my type of riding. In any event, I'm looking forward to exploring the attributes of the R and adapting my riding style to get the most out of this bike.

I'm confident that I will be very happy with the R1200R - at least until BMW offers up a K1600R, or maybe a water-cooled R1200S. :D
  13. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a logical move that will continue to bring you riding happiness! I would imagine when you first pulled the R off the side stand you about threw it over sideways! I almost did that after coming off my Ducati ST3s and was quite surprized at the difference. Now, on the road the Duc is hard to beat!
  14. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sales guy at hermys told me there is a new retro/classic model with the water cooled boxer coming for 2014. I am guessing this would be the new R1200R. Anyone hear anything similar?

I have a new GSA...the HD Street Glide might have to get sold to make room for an all bmw garage. :clap love these naked R bikes.
  15. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    My 94 R1100RS has only 170,000 miles on it, all wrenched by me. Never been into the engine. Just exterior stuff, starter, alternator, rebuilt the throttle bodies, suspension updates and other mods of my own doing.

But the engine and rear final drive are still original to the bike. Best bike I have ever owned, reliable as a rock.

Friend of mine has over 225,000 on his 04 R1150R. He just loves it.
  16. sc00tertrash

sc00tertrash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it is going to be the "Custom" version of the r1200r. Here is a pic and short write up I stumbled upon http://rideapart.com/2013/03/2014-bmw-r1200r-custom/?gal=1

Cheers
  17. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    I heard from a very reliable source that the wet head Bobber was coming late this year, standard wet r1200r late 2014 after the wet RT.

I like the looks of that Custom, probably what he's talking about.
    I rode a wet GS, horrible DS bike but got me very excited when thinking about that motor in a naked bike.
  18. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    :eek1
    Not sure I care about the new motor being "wet," as I and many others have had very good luck with the boxer motor as is. What interests me is the clutch access in the front of the motor as opposed to the rear - of course requiring major surgery to replace (not sure why I worry about that though as I primarily ride long distance - maybe 90% of my mileage, so I don't have clutch issues when I only shift a few times in each 100 miles:eek1).
  19. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that might be referring to the current 90th anniversary model that just hit the showrooms. It talks about it being air-cooled and whatnot. Maybe not though....

Would the Bobber and a "retro" model be similar, I wonder. I belive my dealer referred to it as a retro style...maybe along the lines of the Ducati classic's from around '07-'09...

I would totally dig that...a cool looking retro BMW boxer? Fo' shizzle! I need something smaller and lighter and still capable of taking the Mrs. to dinner on Friday night. The Street Glide is just losing its touch for me...There is always going to be a small place in my heart for the old 'merican v-twin, but I feel the need to move onward.

I agree. My '12 GSA is my first BMW and first boxer and I'm very pleased with the power. However, I would like a new modern feeling bike in an "old skool cool" package that is still fast. I don't need something fast like my Tuono Factory or a current Speed Triple (love me nekkid bikes!), but the new motor with 15 more ponies in an RxxxxR chassis sounds like an incredible compromise!!! :clap
  20. RedFrogTango

Oddometer:
    This past weekend, I presed my local dealer for info on when they expected the various models of the water-cooled boxer to be introduced since I was on the fence about buying an 2013 R1200R or waiting another year or two. They expect that the wter-colled boxer will be offered in the GSAdventure and RT models next year (2014). The R1200R will probably not get teh water-colled boxer until 2015. We may also see an R1200S at that time.