2012 Piaggio Typhoon 125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Aug 2, 2013.

1. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there something wrong with Rotella? I've been using it in both my SYM HD 200 and my Suzuki DR 650.
  2. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All bikes have a profile with the insurance company but not all are insured at the same time. I can simply call the insurance company and with 24 hour notice I can have full insurance on that bike. Since many of my bikes are seasonal Some go a few months without any insurance. Occasionally I will take them out without insurance but not very often. Mostly when I decide or need a certain bike and I am lazy to call the insurance company. Insurance is not required in WA but smart to have.

Some are just dirt cheap. Most of the scooters are like $84 to $120 a year. Its the 1 liter bikes that can get a bit pricy. I think my SV's are the highest at about $350 a year each.

As far as protecting the engine no not really. However the latest formula's don't seem to hold up as well and shifting goes to pot pretty fast. Also the LE (Low Emissions) formula's have less Zinc in them and this is not exactly good either in theory but it depends on the engine design.

Also I was told by a prominent oil engineer that the HDEO oils are not for high RPM usage and don't have the proper anti foaming additives for high RPM use. However I don't really believe it makes any difference!

Rotella is actually JASO-MA rated so in theory its officially fine to work in a motorcycle. I just recently stopped because of poor shifting after 1,000 miles. I recently switched back to regular and expensive motorcycle oil and so far I like it better. It is bloody expensive though!

I may go back and I had pretty good luck with Delo 400 LE 5W-40 Synthetic when I tried it. Seemed to shift better for longer then the Rotella Synthetic.
  3. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent the day on the Agility 125. The more I ride this scoot the more I am impressed with it. The engine is smooth and its pretty bloody quick for a 125 and fast as well. Pretty impressive since it only has like 60 miles on it now.

Still not digging the tires. Hopefully they improve as they get more broken in but I took a turn fast and I damn near bit it. I can't explain it but it seems to have some sort of handling quirk and you don't have much if any feed back at a certain speed and lean and it feels like it could get scary in a hurry. The best way to describe it is it feels like its trying to force the steering into the turn like a car instead of doing a natural counter steer. I don't think the stock tires are a good match for the geometry of the scooter. Perhaps being 5' 11" and 220 lbs exaggerates the affect? Its not super bad if you are aware of it and you force the counter steer but I can see this being a problem for a newer rider.

I aired up the tires a bit and usually this is not a problem but I think I will lower them back to normal and see if that helps? I think they are only 2 or 3 lbs over though so not a huge difference.

Other then this minor handling quark it takes everything I throw at it. Even climbs a very steep hill at 35 MPH no problem. Granted its pinned but both my Zuma 125 and my PCX 125 can only manage about 30 MPH up the same hill. Luckily the speed limit is only 30 MPH but its nice to see the Agility 125 have a bit of power left in reserve.

The most comparable scooter to the Agility 125 is the Zuma 125. The Zuma is a bit smoother and more refined. However for some reason my Zuma 125 feels a tad bit slow. I don't think anything is wrong but sometimes I feel the Zuma 125 has a hard time getting out of its own way at speeds 30 MPH and up. It gets up to almost 60 MPH in time but its definitely not as quick as the Agility 125. I have not compared specs but it feels like perhaps the Zuma 125 is heavier then the Agility yet perhaps similar HP ratings. I know the Zuma 125 is plenty fast if you pin the throttle but in economy riding mode it just seems like the Agility 125 requires less effort to get the same job done. A lot of this could be how each bike is set up..etc more then anything else!

Also maybe the Zuma requires a longer break in time? Its only got about 400 miles on it and from what I hear they really loosen up once they get close to a 1,000 miles on them.

Tomorrow morning I am picking up the SportCity 125 and will likely have fun with that. After riding the SportCity 125 I plan to get on the Typhoon 125...finely!

I hope to do a little comparison between the SportCity 125 and the Typhoon 125. They should be pretty comparable but I have a feeling I might find a few differences.
  4. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will be interested to hear your thoughts on a comparo between these 2.
    I looked at buying the Aprilia instead of the Typhoon.
    They both looked identical in specs other than wheels and bodywork.
    Bought the Piaggio mainly because it was $700 cheaper.

Keep up the good work , Scooter testing:lol3:clap
  5. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up the SportCity 125 this morning. Kind of an odd creature and I am a bit surprised. It could be because its brand spanking new and things just need to seat in but I found it painfully slow on take off. In the flats it would spool up to 50 MPH with plenty to spare but climbing hills (not even steep ones) was a slow affair. For the first time in my scooter riding life I had to pull to the side and let vehicles pass. It felt like I was on a 50cc 4-Stroke scooter. One hill was kind of long and but not really that steep except for the very top with a speed limit of 35 MPH. I hit the hill going 40 MPH then it drifted down to 35 MPH then 30, 25 and people behind me started to get impatient so I moved to the right on the shoulder to let them by. Just before I crested the hill it was pinned and I was doing 15 MPH. As soon as I got to the top of the hill it quickly reached 40 + MPH with plenty of throttle to spare.

Now hopefully it is just brand spanking new as it only had 1.9 miles when I picked it up and now has about 10 miles on it. When I got home I detailed it myself and aired up the tires. The rear was down to 20 PSI and the front 15 PSI. So maybe I was getting a lot of drag from the tires this combined with being new belts and drive gear is making it not run its best.

I have noticed that the Typhoon 125 is also a bit high strung but nothing like this. Typhoon seems to get around just fine in all conditions I have tried so far.

Hopefully it just needs to break in a bit.

Only fit and finish issue is it stalled on me a few times coming home. Seems to be idling a bit slow so I need to figure out how to turn up the idle. It seems to stay running when you are stopped but as you come to a rolling stop and the transmission sort of disingages it wants to stall and did a few times. Sometimes it does not. Might just need another 50 to 100 RPM's of idle to keep that from happening. Also sometimes they just run a little wierd until the break in even just a little bit. So if I can't figure out the idle it may go away on its own but if not I will stop by the shop in a few days and have them tweak the idle.

Have not had a chance to test the handling as the tires are brand new and were low on air. I did not notice any quirks and that is good!

I took a quick photo as I am on the run. My Fly 150 3V on the left and you can see part of my Majesty on the right. I ended up parking the SportCity 125 and took the Fly 150 for my rounds as I need a bit more storage for what I am doing today. On my way back from what I am doing I plan to get on the Typhoon 125.

[​IMG]
  6. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would return it to the dealer and ask for my money back. Performance is clearly faulty and unacceptable. You might ride another, a demo with a few miles on it just to see if there is any noticeable difference in performance. If not, do as I originally suggested. I mean, why would you want to keep such a dud?
  7. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I need to give it a few days and put about 100 miles on it before I come to such a conclusion. My Zuma 125 was a pretty big disappointment the first time I got on it. On the Zuma after I aired up the tires and gave it 20 or 30 miles for the belt and final drive gear to break in it loosened up nicely. The Zuma 125 is still a bit of a dog compared to some of the other 125's in my fleet but the initial break in was dramatic. Some scooters for whatever reason even those of the same make and model may behave differently in those first few miles.

My guess is by design they gave it a bit to much top end. It certainly seems fast as it reached 50 MPH with plenty of throttle to spare. Problem is required a flat road to get there and its not exactly quick doing it. Hills so far don't seem to be its forte.

Things may improve after the first few times it gets ridden.
  8. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...things that make you go HMM!!!

Took the Fly 150 out and went up that same hill the SportCity 125 really struggled on and it took it in stride at 40 MPH with a little bit of power in reserve. Since I was curious I swapped for the Typhoon 125. The difference in power between the Typhoon and the SportCity is readily apparent the moment I left my complex. The Typhoon was able to climb that same hill at 35 MPH. It was pinned at the steepest part at the top but did manage to maintain the speed limit.

Not really sure why the SportCity 125 struggled so much. Hopefully when it gets 50 miles (what the Typhoon now has) it will no longer be a problem.

Really impressed with the Typhoon. It seems as high strung (resident rpm) as the SportCity 125 but seems to actually have the ability to move. Its almost like the SportCity 125 is stuck in a higher gear ratio. Given time it will do 50 MPH and likely more but up hills it just about gave up.

I am reasonably confident that airing up the tires and putting just a few short miles on it will improve things considerably but maybe not. Every scooter I have ever bought ran like poo the first 20 miles or so. The glazing on the belt needs to rub off before they run right.

In fact on my Agility the 1st test ride I gave it gas and it did not move. Tried again and it finely started to grip but only slightly. It was fine though by the time I left the parking lot.
  9. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    those scoots are looking sharp!!:evil

hmm...as you well know a 125's forte is not hill climbing, but they can do it at more then 15mph!! i understand some engines are more robust then others but i have a feeling "break-in" will see you more power. so far as that goes with a 125 scoot. even if not as stout as the Typhoon or Agility

no surprise the Fly 150 took the hill in stride. 150cc, fuel injected....vroom :getiton
  10. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully with a fewl more miles on the SportCity 125 it loosens up. Really it should run much the same as the Typhoon 125. In fact it should run a little stronger because it feels lighter then the Typhoon.

I have read online on other forums that for some odd reason the Typhoon runs faster and feels like it has more power then the SportCity 125 but nobody could explain exactly why. I don't know maybe the taller tires has something to do with it?

I am really curious now so I plan to cruise around tomorrow on the SportCity and see if it does start to run stronger.

Tonight with 70 miles on the Typhoon I decided to dump the factory fill. However Piaggio conveniently placed the drain plug behind the exhaust pipe. So my 24MM socket would not fit. So at 8PM I ran to Sears and picked up a 1/2 drive extension and if that does not work I picked up a 24MM wrench. However all they had is 12 Point wrenches so hopefully its not on there super tight.

Also next ride on the Agility 125 it will get its oil changed. Picked up a quart of Honda 10W-40 regular dino oil for that scoot.

Will also do final drives in the Agility and the Typhoon once they get about 100 miles on them. Next services will be at the shop.

As soon as I get 60 to 70 miles and 100 miles on the SportCity it will get the same treatment. Its kind of a waist of time and oil now days but it makes me feel better doing it. Plus you never know what you get until you just do it.
  11. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the bigger heavier wheels may have the sport city bogged down a bit.

Should break in an run much better. My SR was a dog at first. After the first hundred miles or so it gained a lot of power.... or should I say, efficiency.

I think I would not want so many bikes. I can understand multiple roles covered by a few but this here is having the same tool by different brands.

If you want to make any good deals selling one of them, I will ride it back to Vegas.
  12. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Longhaul- This is none of my business, but I have to ask- you seem to keep buying 125cc scooters but you also have the Fly 150 3v.

Is there something sorely lacking with the Fly that the others do better? Seems like based on specs it sort of the best bang for the buck small scooter out there.....what am I missing?
  13. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's suffering from a really bad case of MBS:rofl
  14. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) Mostly and having fun!

No logic in it :norton

Out of all my scooters if I can only have one I would pick.....hmm!

The PCX 125 in my case or the now sold PCX 150!

You get Japanese refinement with Japanese reliability. The engine is the smoothest of the bunch and its the quickest as well. Handling it can keep up with the best of them however Honda did a good job of keeping it mushy so it does lack some entertainment value compared to some other brands outside of Japan. Fuel economy it beats anything else in its class as well and some outside of its class. I average 94 to 100 MPG and have gotten a creepy good 119 MPG before.

Next runner up is the Fly 150 3V. Its highly practical and at a better price point. Performance is very good and the fuel economy is about the best so far out of Italy. Its fit and finish does not match the Japanese but its only because the Japanese do such an amazing job. Its pretty well put together.

I think the Italian's get ripped for product support and parts supply. I learned yesterday that it could be month(s) before my replacement horn and replacement fly screen come in for the Typhoon. If the parts are in the warehouse they get them inside of a week but if they have to come from Italy it takes a while. This is not except able product support in my opinion. It does not bother me so much because I can still ride it and my Fly Screen is no longer scratched but still.... 2 months for a horn?

Hopefully this is not the case and the parts come sooner. I believe in some states depending on the nature of the repair they have 30 days to correct the problem. Especially a safety issue witch a broken horn may qualify for.

I otherwise like the scooter and have no plans to take further action but um yeah....again 2 months for a horn?

I may move to plan B. Pull the inner part of the fairing myself and try and loosen the set screw for the horn. Apparently this works 9 out of 10 times and just forget dealing with the warranty case.

Anyways here shortly I plan to head out on the SportCity 125. Hopefully it runs with more authority today then yesterday. I also need to stop by the selling dealer since I did not get the manual for it (I saw it when we took it out of the crate plastic wrapped with the battery along with the certificate of origin and what not). If its still stalling when coming to a stop when the clutch disengages I will have them bump the idle up a tad as well.
  15. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input- That little PCX seems to be getting rave reviews all over the place. I appreciate all your updates. You seem to be a one man scooter review, so I enjoy getting your comparisons between the different models.

Your 2 month wait for a horn from Piaggio doesn't seem to be a rare case. I guess that's one of the considerations that has to be factored in when going with certain brands. Seems like Honda and Kymco have that distribution thing figured out. Piaggio, maybe not so much.
  16. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PCX is truly a great scooter. Probably the best one of the bunch in its category!

I kind of went into it knowing parts may be a problem. So I just have to except it. Apparently the parts always come even very odd parts but it can take a while. Its very true that they wait until they have a full shipping container to bring them in to save cost. Its a joke that is wide and known among the Piaggio product dealers.

Anyways took the SportCity 125 out. GOOD NEWS!

With just 24 miles on the clock it is now running as it should and on my return from the dealer I climbed the hill it strugged on yesterday at 34 MPH. So apparently it was just the initial break in it needed and maybe some air in the tires.

Also the problem with the engine wanting to stall when coming to a stop seems to have vanished far now. However it still wanted to stall when applying throttle and if you give it more gas it will just die. I felt the idle was a tad low so I had the dealer bump it up a tad anyway since it seems my Typhoon has a higher idle and not any fueling issues. Seems to have solved the off idle hesitation bumping the idle up a tad.

Dealer said these go through a pretty amazing break in and things will change for the better. More power and speed is sure to come as the miles pile on. Also whatever spotty carb issues will work itself out. He showed me the idle screw location and he said I may have to turn it down wants it gets broken in some.

Still taking it easy in the turns but it is a nice handling scooter. Also the smooth and taller tires are less draggy so I suspect in time the SportCity should be faster and perhaps offer better MPG over the Typhoon but time will tell.

As I was pulling them out of the garage I parked them next to one another. This may actually be a rare shot as some bikes get stored down at the storage facility a 1/2 mile away.

[​IMG]

Up next I am about to take the Typhoon out for a lunch run and then when I get back I am going to change the oil on it. Agility will get done tomorrow!
  17. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Both are nice looking bikes. The Typhoon looks "ruff".
  18. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear how all these scooters handle curves. My Super 8 handles like a dream but runs out of clearance way too early when leaned over in a curve. I know that these scooters are still new but when you have had the chance to really evaluate their handling I'd like to hear your opinion.
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got a pretty cool road called "High Bridge Road" that is not far away and not that fast because of the turns. Its loaded with police on the weekends and sport bikes going all out on that road. However mid week its pretty quiet and the police no that so they stay away. I sometimes take this road out to Duvall when meeting friends. I will probably wait until I have a few hundred miles on them at least before hitting that road.

For a scooter I imagine they do pretty well. However I am not that far from the edge of the tires already and I have been taking it easy. I have feeling the limiting factor is not the lean angle but the conservative crown on the tire witch most scooters have.

Changed the oil in the Typhoon today. Other then being surprisingly dark in color but the oil looked good. When draining the filter the slightest amount of glitter came out of it. Refilled with Motul 5W-40 oil.

It was a real PITA getting the oil filter and drain plug off. I actually chewed up the drain plug a tad. Next "Do It Myself" oil change I will likely replace it. The problem is I can't get my 24MM socket with a breaker bar on there because the muffler is in the way. So I had to use a wrench. Filter was on there pretty good as well and anybody who knows about Piaggio filters know they can be tricky. I have a special tool but it does not work well either if its put on by he-man.

I think what happens is they assemble these motors dry. Then they sit in a crate for who knows how long. Then the motor gets heat cycled the first several times its ridden before the first oil change. That sort of fuses the filter and the drain plug in place making it a PITA to remove. If you tighten it just enough to keep it from leaking and falling off along with a coat of oil on the threads and sealing washer it will be smooth as butter taking it off the next time.

I would say like the Fly 150 it was not really necessary to change the oil at 80 miles but did not hurt. I think its cheap insurance though just in case something is wrong.

The final drive is next. That one is a 6MM Allen bolt and its berried behind the transmission. Because of the smaller wheels on the Typhoon you really don't have much space to work with. Looks like taking off the rear wheel requires the muffler to be dropped. So I can't do that. I am going to pick up a 12" extension with the swivel tips and a 6MM Allen socket and see if that does the trick. Like the engine oil drain bolt its probably on there a lot tighter then it needs to be. After the 1st service the future ones will be a lot easier. If for some reason I can't get to to it I will save it for the shop at 600 miles. I do want it done at least once and preferably twice before 1,500 miles though. After that its good for almost the life of the bike or 5 years just for the warm and fuzzy feeling.
  20. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The muffler is supposed to be removed for this procedure.