The XLV750R Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by sharkey, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just the right colours... :evil

But what kind of airplane is kept in your garage?
  2. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    It's a 185 Cessna
  3. Menasco Pirate

Menasco Pirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello

My name is Steve and I'm a Hondaholic.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I just made a deal after years of searching for a nice XLV750. It has been some time since I read through this informative thread but I have a few questions about the bike and I&#8217;m sure my stupid questions will make you laugh.
    <o:p></o:p>
    The bike is running but has sat for many years. After cleaning the carbs and flushing the tank, the engine runs and idles well. I have not ridden it due to the front brake being locked up. It freed up a little with some help from a heat gun on the caliper. But it still is dragging too much. The battery was dead and the tires rock hard but WTF since it was last ridden about Y2K. Cosmetically it appears to be nice with just a few scratches here and there. It&#8217;s the 1985 model with the black tank with red sides and side covers, original fenders, turn signals, lights, scoops, handlebars seat cover etc. Typical Honda, all the lights and switches still work! I wish I could have found the earlier red, white and blue model, but I&#8217;m happy with the condition of this particular bike.
    I plan to do very little cosmetically since it&#8217;s pretty good, but very dirty and needs to washed and detailed a bit.
    First set of questions:
    Is there a parts list available, electronic, paper, copy, or online?
    Are there owners and/or maintenance manuals available in any form?
    Front brake (master and caliper) over haul kit, Any part numbers that match something fresh? I see pads on fleabay.
    Rear turn signals split at the base, availability or part number? They look like TA or AT parts but is the metallic mounting shaft longer? I would like to use NOS or close copies to preserve the look.
    The air filter looks brand new but does not lock in place, common problem? Was there a foam ring under the filter?
    Gaskets sets, hopefully just the first laugh! Sounds like these are hard to find. Any direction where to look or is it gasket stock paper, exacto knife and ballpeen hammer time when needed?
    <o:p>Pictures after I clean it a bit. A parts list would really be nice!!!</o:p>
    Steve
  4. Old fart

Oddometer:
    Exhausts are another problem with XLV's Steve, new ones are nearly impossible to get. I made a two into one for my bike with what was left of the old exhaust, with a reverse cone mega upswept from the right pax footpeg. It's slightly noisier with about the same power but more up high than low revs. I built a complete system for a friends bike from headers to the back. It was copied off the original down to the baffle system and with only slightly larger outlets. It has good torque with more response than the original. Put the original heat shields back on and you have to look hard to see it's not original. I see by your avatar you be a flier, a lot of bike folks take to the air.
    OF
  5. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You are really into Honda bikes!:clap

6. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mine does have the original pipes and an after market twin pipe. The after market pipes are on now.

Yes I do like to fly! Mainly tail draggers. Had a J3, Taylorcraft and an Aeronca Champ. Later I found 1936 Aeronca C3. These are all long gone including a WWII Fieseler Storch (my Avatar).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Now I have 2 Great Lakes (1974 and 1932) and homebuilt project along with a Fournier motor glider. Most of these were or are basket cases.<o:p></o:p>
    My version of a popular slogan,<o:p></o:p>
    When I was young I spent all my money on motorcycles, airplanes and women. I rest I wasted.

Steve<o:p></o:p>

7. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    Thanks Senior Loco, I have a problem!! Hope to meet you this year.

Steve

8. Old fart

Oddometer:
    Nice quote, I get to fly a 985 Pratt Stearman every now and again, currently sitting in an AT802 on fire work at the moment. :D
  9. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    For any Oz XLV'ers out there;

Howdy all,

happy 2010 , only about 12 weeks till our Oz Honda V-Twinners gettogether at Byrock, It would be great to see a pile of XLV's at the gettogether.

Details of the gettogether here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11741471&postcount=1032

&

http://atgreg.com/rally/rallye.html

A few people are starting to think about their rides to Byrock, here's a Vic
    V-twinner's ideas
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11878590&postcount=1078

& here's my ideas from Sydney
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11912677&postcount=1084

If you'd like to find some others to ride with to Byrock , post up in the
    V-Twinners thread at
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384629

catch ya

Greg
  10. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan I don't like wallabies...

Oddometer:
    G'day Steve,

I think I've got some literature at home??? I'm at the inlaws at the moment. I've made a note & will look tomorrow when I get home.

Cheers,

Dan. :D
  11. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    That would be great Dan. This bike is so different than the AT and TA's. I would like to get originals or copies of the Honda manuals so I don't screw something up.

Thank you

Steve
  12. z987k

z987k Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Mario Shi

Mario Shi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    449 miles? OMG! :eek1
  14. TARider

TARider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is currently wiping the drool off my face :tb .
  15. Old fart

Oddometer:
    I wonder does it still have the cooling scoops and they just took them off for the photo?
    They have a great looking engine without them.
  16. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan I don't like wallabies...

Oddometer:
    G'day Steve,

WORKSHOP:
    I have a photocopied version of the workshop manual. This is the same that Sharks has provided a link for on the very first post of this thread. It's pretty time consuming, but you can save each page & print off. I could never find a genuine workshop manual.

PARTS:
    I purchased a new parts microfiche about 8 years ago (only used it once). My previous employers had a microfiche reader that could print. So I printed out a copy. The micro fiche number is: 13MG7D25F. It is 1 of 1.
    Do you want to:

1. Try & order this through Honda America?
    2. If they cannot supply, I can try & order through a local dealer & mail it to you? This model was a domestic import for us in Australia.
    3. If new fiche are no longer available, I could try and find someone who converts microfiche to CD rom. This option would take a little while (I had the TransAlp Fiche converted several years ago with good results).

Otherwise, maybe PM Sharks to see if he already has the parts & / or workshop manuals on disc?

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dan. :D
  17. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for taking the time. ADV is a great place.
    My XLV is an Australian model! The PO brought it along with an Africa Twin to the US. Sorry to say he passed away. Both wound up at my local Honda dealer.

I have tried Honda in the US, no help at all.
    I checked the Sharks link today and the Workshop Manual is there! He did remark that it may not be complete so A complete manual is on my wish list but I have a lot to look through on the link now.

I did not find a parts list so option 2 or 3 would be a great help. I can send payment via Paypal, cash, check credit card.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    Steve

18. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that bit of info, but I'm still drooling! Still working at HD?