Alaska: 30 years in the making.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by superdutyGS, Feb 15, 2012.

1. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    I called her the "tanker" when I was emailing the original owner in California. He called her the "valdez". Rode home 1780 miles and left bakersfield with a full tank and rode all the way to Mo and only got gas 4 more times. Very convenient. I love this bike.....
  2. judgebill

judgebill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SuperdutyGS, thanks for sharing your adventure with all us dreamers. I'm scheduled to live my dream next month. Originally had 3 others primed and ready, all have bailed. Circumstances beyond their control. I'm determined to make it. Riding a K1600 GTL, which should be an adventure in itself. Really appreciate your details and definitely will carry along my Milepost for all the information it provides. Life is too short to not do the things about which you are passionate...and I've been passionate about making this trip for two years now. I live in Uruguay and wish I could ride from here but time and money won't allow that so I fly to LA and bike from there. From the responses looks like others will also be on the road. Hope to meet some along the way. Your words are an inspiration and set an excellent example of a great ride report.
    Bill :norton
  3. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    First off great ride report. I love reading them and its nice to see people taking the time...love this site for that...

Next I was in Mt Rushmore and Glacier a couple days before you. We were there the opening day for the road...lots of snow...we (my dad and I) actually did a similar trip to yours in 2010...and now in three weeks we are going again...last year I took the wife and kids up to glacier then down to yellowstone etc...it was fun but I love riding north.

Oh and 800 miles a day is crazy...how did you see anything....next time slow down and enjoy LOL...
  4. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report ! I made a feeble attempt to go to D2D last year and and screwed up and didn't follow my own route . Ran into several other inmates shortly after leaving home and road "their" route . Well after 13 hours and a little over 500 miles on my Wee Strom I was done for . Next day my shoulder and hip were toast . Didn't want to risk ruining a later planned 3 week family trip so I turned around and limped home . Funny thing is , 800 mile days on my V-45 Sabre are no problem , but 500 a day on my DL650 kill me . Was hoping to try again this year , but time and money just aren't there . Maybe next year . I will keep an eye out for any further reports from you , enjoy your style . BTW , nice tanker !
  5. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    thanks your gentleman........it's input from the readers that makes is so fun to write one of these. I appreciate you Judgebill, and lasonlester and Grampz
  6. ktmissouri

ktmissouri Racer turned Rider

Oddometer:
    From one Missouri Rider to another,

Great Ride Report. I have not finished it yet, but I thought I would let you know how much I am enjoying it. I live down in the SW part of the state. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, it was really well done. You have inspired me to get the guts to post one of my ride reports, I just hope it comes out half as good as yours.

All the best,

Shawn
  7. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    thanks Shawn, I have never read a bad ride report I don't think. Jump in with both feet buddy, you will enjoy the
    memories that writing it help bring back when you write it. I couldn't believe all the stuff I had not written down that came back to me. Thanks for reading along on my ride.......
  8. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    here you go Randy
  9. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    to find. here it is Eric. Subscribe to it so you can find it next time a bit easier.
    I found it with a thread search for Kotzebue.
  10. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    bumping it for Minus1 cause I don't know how to link it.