Touring Box ideas for LONG Vespa Ride this Summer

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rajavw, Jan 27, 2012.

1. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That leather bag would finance any number of other cargo carrying options!
  2. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
  3. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    I have been travelling with full lugage with my scooter and I am more and more of the conviction that using a luggage trailer is by far the best solution!

The design of the scooter as far as the frame is concerned is quite different from the motorcycle. If you toss up the weight on the topcase to high, and add to it the weight of the side cases or soft luggage, then your frame WILL start to "work" sideways. It will twist. Especially at low speeds you will see and feel this.

And no matter how smart you pack your bags and topcase, use the helmet hook and the buddy space, you will never be able to beat the luggage that you can stow in a trailer.

So why not buy an axle, or cheap trailer, and mount a car top box on it and you are ready to go.

I myself am thinking about building a complete trailer from scratch myself. Choose an axle, mount wheels (12") and hitch knob, lighting etc and build an aluminium body on top of it. Not to high, but enough to comfortable take tent, sleeping bags, mats, cooking gear, etc etc etc. Then you have the topcase for refreshments and things you need on the road.
    I do not think you can beat this solution.
  4. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    Do you not have legislation in the US to which such a trailer should comply? We here in Europe have lots of regulations, and one of them is that you are not allowed to have any trailer attached to your motorcycle or scooter in any other way then trough a towing hook. So no single wheel trailer, no fixed mount to the bike, etc etc.

This all makes it a little bit more difficult, and certainly more expensive then the cheap trailer examples we see in the most posts. Motorcycle luggage trailers over here are quite expensive, mostly around € 1.500 and upward....

So, I am thinking of building one of my own.
  5. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got this for christmas (the small one without trolley): http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10025295
    On my Xciting I can mount it on the pillion seat in addition to a topcase (backrest in forward position) or as a topcase replacement. 60 litres volume inside (without external pockets).
    Or take the bigger (but much heavier) one.
    But as already mentioned, it is wise to consider the side effects of much/heavy luggage. Not as much as possible, only as much as really needed.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you mount it lengthwise it will put the weight even further behind your axle and have a bigger negative affect on your handling.
  7. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I bought it used with under 10,000 miles. It had 171,000 when I gave it to my girlfriend. She rode it for a year or so then sold it.

8. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Knowing how these bikes handle (I ride a Stella), I'd definitely be looking to keep weight as far forward as possible. Depending much stuff you're bringing, I'd look into a mid-size bag on a front rack, a smaller bag on the floorboard, and then another mid- or large-size bag on the rear. And maybe another small/mid-size bag on the back half of the stock seat. One massive container on the back is going to make handling really weird really quickly, I'd expect.
  9. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Not certain what you mean by "towing hook"? Looking on the web; there seem to be a range of motorcycle-towed trailers available in Europe; including the single-wheel variety. Indeed, there is even a range of "singlewheel" trailers with TWO wheels. . . . . . That is, a double-wheel bogey is mounted at the rear of trailer, and the trailer banks (along with tow vehicle) while the twin-wheels stay upright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (1-Wielige aanhanger) Single wheeler from the Nederlands.

Tourmaster Single-wheelers

PAV 40 trailers (made in Czech Republic fifty years ago) are the model for the present-day Inder trailer.

It is usual to use a coupling with just two-axis of articulation (LEFT-to-RIGHT, & UP-and_DOWN) for single-wheel towing with motorcycles and scooters. The UniGo fitting is a good example:

[​IMG]
    To detach a UniGo coupling, one simply pulls the Split Pin, removes the upper horizontal Pin, then lifts up the slotted lower Pin Ends. The silver-painted vertical-U Bracket remains on the motorcycle.

My own design for a cheap single-wheel trailer is based on the frame of a lightweight delivery handtruck. One contructs a trailing-arm & wheel fitting (could well use scooter parts) and fits the trailing-arm bearings to the fitting which normally attaches the solid axle on the handtruck. (An alternative to that form is to mount the wheel on a simple Quarter Elptic leaf spring- suspension AND wheel location combined!) Some form of single spring & shock is fitted for suspension, then add mudguard, wiring and lighting. Construct a Universal Joint interface (like a UniGo) for attachment to towing vehicle. Provide a electrical wiring connection. Then, all that is required is a hard (or soft) cargo container.

[​IMG]
    Quarter Elliptic springs- offering wheel mounting & suspension. A much lighter-duty version than pictured is susgested for single-wheel scooter towing use. The Inder uses simply a Rubber Ball in compression!

If one looks at a basic Eaglemate trailer, its easy to understand my idea of starting with a Handtruck . . . .

[​IMG]
    (NB- concerning that Eaglemate; I'm not impressed by the lack of suspension. The frame gives the impression of being sturdy enough however.)
  10. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats awesome! i have to say im surprised somebody would actually buy a scooter with 171000 on it lol
  11. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

I know! I just can't believe that 2 stroker help up that good! Guess Vespa Really knowed how to build em!

As far as storage. Them there trailors would be nice. Just pack light and smart, you should be ok. A small trailor can't be no bad idea though!

Can't wait to here about Y'all ridin a report.
  12. Bamako-Vespa

Bamako-Vespa Adventurer

Oddometer:

Check out scooterzilla.com

The site is under contstruction, but use the contact page to get in touch with the guy setting up the site. He has a few Correos boxes. As they are quite popular in spain they are getting more and more expensive. The price should be around 100-200 euros.

I met the guy during the Vespa World Days 2011 and he seemed like a nice guy.

This setup consists of the box (of course), a lockable seat and a special rack that everything bolts on to. The nice thing with it is that it is a perfect bolt on upgrade to the vespa PX.

You do get a little front en wobble, but if you back the box right (heavy stuff low down and forward), and put some heavy stuff on the floorboards (like a 10L jerry can) and perhaps a front rack you'll minimize that wobble.

I rode like this for more than 5000 km down through the Sahara participating in the Budapest Bamako rally, and forgot about the wobble after a couple of days.

We also modified the rack a little, so that the box would sit about 2cm further back. The seat does put you a little bit too far forward, especially if you are tall and wear a back plate under your riding gear.

The boxes in action on the piste to Foum Zguid in Southern Morrocco:
    [​IMG]
  13. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had this on my Big Ruckus now for 3 years with no problems , I use the BR as my daily driver all summer . I use it for every thing from grocery shopping to short 70 mile trips to visit kids and grand kids . Happytrail in Idaho will make just about any size you desire . I wouldn't be without the trunk and neither would my son who has one just like it .

[​IMG]

TheReaper!
  14. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    I think you are going to have to much weight out to the rear . I would put it side ways instead .
    Not only is your front end likely to wobble badly , but people close behind you won't be able to see your
    tail lights
  16. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%
  17. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37778701@N07/?saved=1

Took her out for a 70 mile ride. Bakersfield - Tehachapi Loop - Bakersfield. No vibration or difference in handling whatsoever. Rode on Highway 58 at high speeds (65-70MPH) and am very pleased with this box and mounting!
    :D
  18. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    OK but how much weight did you have in it ? Weight that sucker down for a real test .

TheReaper!
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing to remember is that packing for a couple of months isn't much different than packing for a long weekend. Once you toss on a few days clothes, gear for variable weather, a reasonable tool kit, and tent, etc. the length of a ride doesn't change the list much. The kitchen sink is best left at home in the kitchen.

Consider going soft. GiantLoop bags are just-right sized for extended trips so long as you keep it light. http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

They are popular with the off-road/adventure/sport motorcycle touring crowd for good reason. There is no reason you couldn't fit on on your scooter. They keep the weight lower than a box and make for stable riding. Here is a Coyote mounted on my bike.

[​IMG]

Wolfman makes a great bag that would go well on your rear rack too http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/beta_bags11.html

[​IMG]
  20. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the following Link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37778701@N07/?saved=1

Clocked over 300 M, loaded down. High Speeds reached.

No changes in handling.

Bike does well in the canyons too.

Trip looks like it shall be Bakersfield-Ridgecrest-Yosemite (Via Tioga Pass), then back to Bakersfield hugging the west of the Sierras.

July 2012.