Honda preparing Dakar assault

Discussion in 'Racing' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just to poke an eye or 2 as you're w/ honda.

i'm sure we'd all love to know when finally honda updates the xr650l class bike and truly competes in the 800 adv market (a real transalp). i'm thinking that will happen after those classes have moved on to to the next standard up.
    growing up honda was the leader, now all they do is follow way way behind.
    maybe that's changing?
  3. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Plus input from Quinn Cody and JCR.

BTW, seems like you guys (Nomads) need a Vegas / California / Mojave Desert / Grand Canyon vacation in August.
  4. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Quinn, he's with the Orange team - but by all accounts not for the Dakar - !!!!????:deal
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Yes Quinn, he WAS on a Honda in Dakar and provided feedback through JCR before going Orange.
  6. too old

Oddometer:
    Ah ok - historical info, but does he have a Dakar ride?:wink:
  7. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    I know Quinn will not get one of the four KTM factory seats, but it would be sweet to see KTM pony up a 450RR for Quinn to make a run at the 2013 Dakar.

He is the "Great Yankee Hope" for a stage win or the podium at Dakar with Jonah retired from Dakar competition.

8. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    That would be nice! Sort of chasing WPM's but they are flying red prototypes :)

:thumb thanks for the offer. Impossible this Summer but it'll happen someday.
  9. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder, before all this was released to the press, that Quinn was going to be left off the Dakar team, and that was a reason for him jumping ship to KTM? Otherwise it would kind of suck to head to KTM just before Factory Honda announces a Dakar team which I'm sure he would have had a good chance of getting on.
  10. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Ooohh, good stuff. It doesn't surprise me that HRC had a nearly sorted machine ready to go. While the HRC name alone carries mass amounts for weight, having a machine to prove intent should have gone a long way to attracting such a decent team. After more than a few Yamaha Frankenbikes, it will be very interesting to see Helder unleashed with a backing and equipment of a full factory. I would expect that new bike reliability aside, KTM must feel a little threatened by Helder who obviously did a tremendous job to match the pace of both Coma and Despres on quite inferior machinery.
  11. doyle

Oddometer:
    With Zanol going to HRC, there is at least one factory backed seat open (if they decide to support it) although IIRC, the bike was partially backed by KTM Brazil.
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    In my opinion it'll take Honda a few years to be able to compete with KTM. Not because of a lesser machine or because of less talented riders but rather because of politics. Politics play a big part in the Dakar :nod

Time, money and "playing the game"....in my belief this is what it will take to have HRC on top of the podium.

Stoked to see how it unfolds
  13. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allways a "-gate" in Dakar :evil
  14. doyle

Oddometer:
    Yes, but...(there's always a but), HRC coming into the 'game' is precisely the outcome the 450 rule was designed to generate, more interest (read that as prestige and money) from the big 4 for whom the 450 bikes became mainstream. Might the ASO coddle HRC much to the chagrin of loyal, but much smaller player, KTM?

We've all heard the stories of the ASO's inconsistencies in dealing with individual competitors and regarding 'team' favoritism, *cough* ktm *cough*, but could the desire to appease the global powerhouse that is Honda have the ASO running afoul of Mattighoffen, especially as the motorsport activities at that realm have short shelf lives without corresponding results.

Let's hope the ASO balances the needs of the two (as both will doubtlessly be gunning for top spots) in a way that breeds competition, grows the sport, and increases the appeal of both brands. I'd hate to see lopsided handling or perceived favoritism run one or the other out of the dunes.
  15. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Oh Doyle... you poor, poor, poor misguided bloody blue eyed idealist... :huh:rofl:rofl:rofl :wink:

Hey Baldy... where's the "Bambi caught in the headlights" emoticon...??? :lol3

(Sorry folks... I just don't have the heart for it... who's gonna PM Doyle and break the news about santa claus to him... gently...?) :evil
  16. doyle

Oddometer:
    I'm the eternal optimist. :lol3
  17. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    I think Ted pointed it out a while back, don't remember when...

It's not KTM that the ASO was coddling, it was Red Bull.

Depends on the livery that HRC show up with... Repsol perhaps?
    Taking into account that Argentina recently "nationalized" the YPF refinery over there and the spanish got their knickers in a twist, Repsol could be a proud "fuck you" statement by the Iberians :evil

I could go on with the conspiracy theories, someone tell me to shut up :lol3
  18. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Some of you guys have it backwards. Clearly ASO and Honda have been working together for a while. Just look at their logos. Notice the identical colors and how the "A" and "O" in ASO and Honda are so similar. LogoGate in the works!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. too old

Oddometer:

Mind you - the feedback couldn't have been too great as the 2 key riders didn't get past day 2, so "get some decent stators" and "don't hit a rock when riding flat out" - fortunately Quinn was ok after his massive spill. :1drink
  20. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    You need to read up on Quinn's accomplishments. :deal

Multiple Baja 1000 wins on a Honda & 9th place finish in his first attempt at the Dakar on a Honda.

Rookie of the Year at the Dakar on a Honda.

http://www.quinncody.com/about/