KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BeezaBoy

BeezaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there is any physical difference between the KTM hardparts 13L tank and the Acerbis branded 13L?
    I know they are both made by Acerbis (I think I know anyway). I've always been into the "official" hardparts, but it's easier and less expensive for me to purchase the Acerbis one.
    This is going on a '11 450 EXC.

Thanks, and sorry if this specifically has been posted before.

-Tom
  2. offrdr1975

offrdr1975 .

Oddometer:
    The only difference I am aware of is the gas cap. The hardparts tank uses the stock1/4 turn cap and the acerbis uses a screw on cap. I have the acerbis tank on my bike an am very happy with it.
  3. oinky1982

oinky1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NO I don't have stering stabilizer and no my wheel not been balance but on road is it ok the problem is only on not paved road

thanks for your help,

I've ride today and can't belive this things do wheely at 100km/h just turning the trottle :evil
  4. Visigothic

Visigothic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know just for kicks if the Husa 570 top is the same as the hard parts 530 to 570 stroker it. Would they have the same compression , bore etc.?
    Hence other than the different stuff you would have an equal performing bike.
  5. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there much $$ + time involved to get the bike dialed in for a 210 pound rider? I like the stock handling but I am getting to the point where I often load the bike up to 210 pounds of payload.

in other words, if I change the springs will I need to change other bits to get the bike to handle like it does stock for a 170 pound rider? Or just springs?

Is this job do-able for a few hundred dollars or more like $1K? Assuming I pay for it to be done.

steve
  6. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about the BMW but now have kind of lost the enthusiasm. As my son pointed out: we really like the 530 + we already know the idiosyncrasies on the ktm's. It is fairly daunting to think of starting over on the learning curve of a new bike. Not learning to ride, rather the learning about the parts to replace, the parts to fix, the setup, the details of what works and what doesn't. I think we will hang loose and keep looking for another 530 to pop up. So, thanks for indulging me on this. :norton

steve

7. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    Why can't you PM this?

8. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    I liked my stock suspension, and handling inspite of 270lb carcass. Just had the preload cranked by the dealer prior to delivery.

After 15hrs on it, I decided to spring my rear shock to my 270lb spec...their biggest straight rate spring. I raced it once and noticed the improvement in accelleration most. I took it to the air a bit for the first time, too. No bottoming in the back end.

After the race, I noticed that I had bottomed the fork, so I replaced the springs which I'd purchased but not installed. It improved the diving in the front when braking. Then I dialed in some recommended specs.

It's been great, especially at high speed. While a bit stiff in the slow, rooty stuff, the decrease in pogo effect when accellerating and braking is the most noticeable improvement.

So the EE springs set me back $250ish. 60 for a special wrenches...I installed them myself with the help of EE, Scott Rocher Sales and the internet. Six beers labour.:wink: Very cost effective modification.

While you are in the forks swap the fork oil too, but not necessary if you are careful.

They say suspension is the best mod you can do, and I agree.

I don't know about this valving stuff, so I stayed with stock for now. Maybe when the fork seals go or something...
  9. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, changes in weight require changes in spring more so than damping. I think you'd want 48 or 50 fork springs, and an 8.0 rear spring, and that's about it, so call it $100 per end in springs and an hour of time to install them both.
  10. oinky1982

oinky1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes same part than the 570 husaberg, for performing don't know never try a husaberg, but I can tell, the 570 kit in the 530 it's......torque monster

Question everybody about exaust, I would like to upgrade it, I want some thing not noizy, and with performance ????? any sugestion :norton
  11. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    +1
    Money well spent!
    I rode my 200 EXC for 3 yrs and only clicked the clickers. I'm probably 225+ w/ gear on.
    I finally had Alex from Konflict Motorsports (inmate here, and specializes in KTMs) (shameless plug) re-spring for my weight, but I was too cheap to revalve at the same time. A couple rides later I decided to have him revalve because it was too harsh in the first part of the stroke, and was fatiguing me. Made a huge difference.
    First Enduro of the year was on Sunday, and I would say that the suspension is the best part of the bike now.
    I'm very happy with the suspension and the service! In my opinion it hepls to have someone that will work with you and listen to the type of riding you do.
    You can go to all the suspension schools you want, but in the end a lot comes down to testing. I've observed re-valves, and its an Art, IHMO.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went from stock modded to a FMF Q4, revs out better, more top, no loss on bottom. Still quiet too, a little louder but not bad.
  13. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks! Thanks Ned too. A couple hundred $ is an easy fix.

steve

14. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    How about a little product review?
  15. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr Dutch,

The '08 was sold a while back but I am just waiting on a DHL van to turn up any day soon with a new AWD frame for my '11 530.
    Once everything is transferred over I have a number of events I've entered, some UK rallies and a trip to the dunes of Morocco. Will put together some ride reports with the focus on how well the AWD works.:wink:

Here is my 530 prior to the conversion...
    [​IMG]
  16. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    picked it up today! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it from Munn Racing, what an awesome dealership, Chip and Big Dan were great and i couldnt be happier. desmogged, re-sprung it and put in a JD jet kit, its running great!
  17. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    SWEET! :thumb
  18. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Chowdown,
    Your KILLIN me with them New Bike Pics :ddog
    I want one so so bad :cry
  19. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    hey its Ned's fault! he planted the seed, i blame him! :thumb
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you waited this long just hang till the 201? EXC500 is released.