DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:

Several years ago my 1993 DR350 was burning oil. I pulled the cylinder/piston and found a stuck oil ring. I had my machinist inspect everything and he suggested honing the cylinder and installing new rings. I did so and that set up has performed very well for me. I do not have any experience with Wiseco pistons.

As for where to buy, well, everyone seems to have their own experience. I really like Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and they have always treated me well and continue to get my money. In contrast, my single experience with Partzilla was horrible: many direct lies, extremely slow shipping, wait times for phone customer service in excess of an hour, etc. I tried them once, they got some of my money, and I intend to never use them again.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Been out of the loop for a while but why are some jumping for the XR Acerbis tank when there is a 4.25 gallon Acerbis made for the DR?
    I must admit that I am not real crazy about the twin petcocks but I have insulated the right fuel line and leave that petcock shut off.
  3. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    5.8 gallons of USEABLE fuel, natural/clear available color so you can see your fuel level, looks way better (imo), right around 400 mile range depending on riding
  4. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Thanks AC 909.I see there is a XR 250/400 natural for $216 shipped on ebay.Good price too!
  5. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I think I'll just be taking that route. Thanks for the insight.

Am I the only one who can run the acerbis dry? :dunno

Can't deny that 5.8g isn't super nice though. If I didn't already have the 4.2, I would've chosen that route. So I think I'll just be looking into a rotopax system. They aren't as expensive as I thought they were. 2 gal with a mounting system is just over $100.
  6. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Okay so here's what I'm ordering.

Rings
    Valve seals
    Head gasket
    Seals for the oil line on the side of the head

Anything else you guys would recommend while I'm in the engine this deep?
  7. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Base gasket.

I also replaced the wrist pin and circlips. It wasn't necessary, but I didn't want to be down longer waiting for parts.

For valve seals, I ordered some Viton seals off of ebay that were quite nice (at least I thought so). Cheaper, too.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  8. AleksTheGreat

AleksTheGreat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    they have an ADV coupon code ( advrider ) which gives a decent discount of ~10%. A 1.75g ( I don't like how the 2 gallon looks ) with a locking mount with key is $98.56 shipped. it would be ~10 less if you just got the regular non locking mount.
  9. AleksTheGreat

Oddometer:
  10. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I thought of the base seal just after posting. Well it looks like I can pay $7 for shipping or find something else for $6....
  11. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. And yes I agree, I don't like the "inter-locking" bottom. I wish they had an option for this feature that I will never use once but, the 2 gallon looks like it's the exact size of the box, maybe bigger by .2" or so.
  12. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I also DO NOT want those STUPID eco spouts that break or seize after a week. I have a spout off a container I bought in canada, so if that doesn't fit I guess I'll have to order one.
  13. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I've spilt more gasoline into the environment with those eco spouts than I ever did without. My old cans are worth way more today then they ever were new :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  14. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try this
    Stock dirt valving, rebound on top / compression on bottom:
    [​IMG]

from here

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php?topic=70150.0
  15. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure those do not need no load flasher relays. I have the same set and I did. I have heard that mounting a set of LED's on the rear only might not require the need to mess around with the relay.

I would go with regular incandescent bulbs if you don't want to mess with relays.

I bought a set that looks like this before (not from these guys)
    http://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Universal-Ultra-Small-Signals/dp/B000VSCDWO/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2
    However I can not guarantee that they are of the 21/23 watt variety that our flasher relays need.

Read my ad/write up linked in my sig line for no load flasher relays, for more information about turn signals and relays. Warning might be more information than you EVER want to know.
  16. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I put led flashers all around and only needed to take out the indicator bulb, and got an "auto adjusting" flasher from advance auto parts down the road.

Edit: for a brief time before a short (my fault) melted the CRAP out of the flasher. Cool stuff. :D
  17. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a gearing calculator floating around somewhere? I tried to open Greg's but I don't have ms office. I have 14/48 and the rpms are a tad higher than the speed (you know what I mean so shut up:D). I would like to be at 6500 @ 70. Would 13/42 be too much?
  18. AleksTheGreat

Oddometer:
    I will confirm that these will need a new load adjusting flasher, and also they are absolutely horrible. My buddy has them on the rear and in the day, they are just as bad as the generic 14led ones linked before, and I would argue look much worse at night. The light from the bulb barely lights up the tip of those, so not only does it look really stupid, but it isn't bright.

We each bought 2 pairs hoping I would replace my led ones to get some brighter visibility in the socal sun, but I ended up leaving my led ones and tossing the new ones on the shelf. Not worth the bother.
  19. AleksTheGreat

Oddometer:
  20. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer: