2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One spot open at C136.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All,

Thanks for posting the open spaces so far for the first night's camping in Glacier National Park.

For those who haven't secured a camping spot, NOW's the time to do so.

If you do secure a spot and have extra room, please post it here and I'm sure you'll get a rider to share your camping spot.
  3. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Robert is out of tent spaces, only cabins. I guess Yaak River Campground is first come, first serve?

4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I took Timmer's suggestion and got my campsite at Fish Creek. I have site C138 and Oldtimer will be taking the second spot in the site.

Now about Yaak - - - I didn't think there would be a problem but it's looking like things are filling up? Is there dispersed camping in the Yaak area? I'm thinking there probably is but I haven't done the research. If there's dispersed camping then if all the campgrounds are filled then there is still camping options.

5. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    LB, Yaak should be a ride thru. Starting at Troy - first night at Fish Ck.

Any reason for Yaak?

I haven't researched camping potential around Yaak. We will be going past Tuchuck between Eureka and Polebridge. Once they open early summer, I will be contacting Polebridge Merc. just to find out what facilities they may have. I was originally going to stop for the day at PB, but wanted a very early start Sunday for the GTS route.
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I just reserved C124 at Fish Creek. The website lists one more campsite on the C loop as of 4:41 PDT. Just an fyi

Timmer - I mentioned that it's jonz +1 but the list only shows jonz. No big deal but it will allow a more complete count. My riding buddy (Kim on a 2013 GS1200) will be staying with me in C124 above
  7. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder, I'll reflect the +1.
  8. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    "This includes start location information (Yaak River Campground near the Yaak Road on US 12 - 9:00 am. There are two campgrounds at that location. One on each side of the Yaak River, but both are on the Kootenai River."

I don't know this area but the Yaak River Campground is not near Yaak...this is where I will be camping on Friday. It is on our route just north of Troy...hope this helps.
  9. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I've not camped at either campground but I've seen enough FS roads in the area to know that one could fing a place to sleep. Last time I was in Yaak you could get a room for $25. Actually, Yaak would make a great place to stop for breakfast.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Confused Yaak Campground with being in or near Yaak.
  11. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Thought perhaps as much. There are two campgrounds close to each other on US2 on each side of the Yaak River where it hits US2. Also others up the Yaak River road. More towards Yaak.

Bear country. Take appropriate actions.

Timmer and I both are planning for these CGs for Friday night.
  12. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you google camping troy Montana, there about 5 campgrounds. It will highlight where the Yaak River Campground is. Not able to reserve a spot, so I am guessing it is on a first come, first serve. I will be at this spot in the early afternoon of Friday. As I understand the itinerary, this is the gathering point for Saturday morning.

13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I googled Troy camping and now I have a clue. :lol3

I'll get my duckies lined up before I get there although they might scatter a few times between now and then. :D

I'm looking forward to the ride and meeting everyone that I haven't met yet. :clap
  14. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Be careful.
    Herding ducks is a lot like herding cats....plus, ducks can fly.

See you there!
  15. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wansfel Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 [​IMG]
    Confused Yaak Campground with being in or near Yaak.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Thought perhaps as much. There are two campgrounds close to each other on US2 on each side of the Yaak River where it hits US2. Also others up the Yaak River road. More towards Yaak.

Bear country. Take appropriate actions.

Timmer and I both are planning for these CGs for Friday night. [/QUOTE]

In the spirit of bear awareness I have a dog friend at the Grizzly/ Wolf Discovery Center in Glacier. Her name is Nakiska, shes a Karelian Bear Dog I had helped raise at my work (Wind River Bear Institute) . Ran into her parents who work there with her and told them about the BOM ride and hoping a possible visit while passing through. Really cool place to check out plus one of the sweetest badass dogs there is! Plus haven't seen her since a pup, puppy pic below.
    Maybe I can talk them into some free cans of bear spray for the crew?? I know they do a bear mace recycling program and basically its to recycle the brand new unused cans from tourists. Ill try to pry at that part of it.
    What do you think planners? Would be a cool little pit stop with lots to take from it!

http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com/beardog.php?id=59

[​IMG]
  16. Wansfel

Oddometer:

Where exactly are they located? I only see the Yellowstone Center. If you could score some bear spray, that would be great. I wouldn't have to use my Butter Flavor Pam.
  17. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah crap messed up, its in west yellowstone :shog Oops!

Ill see if I can score some from my work, my boss gets a free box when ever she wants from counter assault since she was the researcher behind its use. Keep ya posted!
    Hahaha yea the bear mace will add much more flavor to your eggs than that pam anyway:D
  18. 406Blues

406Blues Roundabout, paths less traveled, AKA 406Blues

Oddometer:
    What are the date for this ride? and, as I understand it big bike should be OK for the route? Sound like a good ride.
  19. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Just stand behind me and downwind...first time, but I broke down and bought "Counter Assault" since I could not get my 12ga to fit on my bike..:D
  20. 406Blues

406Blues Roundabout, paths less traveled, AKA 406Blues

Oddometer:
    Room for 406Blues?