Motorcycle Riding after Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by custmmc, Nov 3, 2007.

1. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris,

Glad to hear that you can ditch the brace but it sucks that you're not going to be able to do the trip.
  2. BEEMERPECKER

BEEMERPECKER Just Lookin'

Oddometer:
    Doc says too much time, pain and money invested at this point to chance screwing something up before the hip is 100%; I can't disagree.

Thinking about driving up on Friday or Saturday of the MR so as to not have to kiss the goat's ass next year.
  3. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can say that again. :D Your wife will kick your ass to the curb if you eff it up screwing around. You could always be the chase vehicle, just bring a set of ramps in case Tommy Ducati shows up again. :lol3
  4. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for fun and because it was raining and I had nothing to do I went and slung the leg over the Capo this morning.....mmmmmm FEELS REAL GOOD!!!!!! Come on sun, I have my boots by the door, let's get going!!

:freaky
  5. seabiker

seabiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing thread and it's both gut wrenching and heartening to the pain but also the triumph of getting back on the bike after these. I have hip dysplasia. Last year on a trip in Turkey, for the first time, I could literally not walk towards the tail end of the trip after 3 weeks with backpacks. I came back and saw the doctor. Interestingly, he said that since I still have good bone mass, it's better to put off any surgery for as long as possible since the technology and knowledge improves every year. He says that some things are still in the process of data gathering ( such as ceramic vs stainless steel for cups ) etc. So he advised me to wait for as long as I could and use Aleve for long walks. Of course, as in some cases I read here where it's completely bone on bone or the pain is too much I'm sure he would have recommended surgery. I got a motorcycle in Nov. after the trip and have been riding, first time after about 15 years. Yes I have discomfort but I'm not giving it up. My 2nd bike will be a GS and I hope to do some adventure riding ( hope my wife isn't reading ! ).
  6. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    Went for a 600mile ride over three days on the weekend. Most of that was gravel roads with a little bit of easy trail. Riding a GS800 with 90% street tires.

Man, was I ever uncomfortable. I'm going to have both hips replaced this fall, and I'm very sore all of the time. Sittng down on the bike is difficult, as every tendon feels tight as a banjo string. Also have a limited range of motion.

I sit back on the saddle, stand up, and let my legs dangle, constantly squirming into new positions.

Still, it was worth it. I'll ride on two bloody stumps if I have to.

It's waaaay sore this morning. I'll have to spend the rest of the week stretching it out, and I'll get back to the gym on the stationary bike tonight, which helps.

Looking very much forward to getting both of these done.

Jason
  7. Clydascope

Clydascope What's Inyo Belly?

Oddometer:
    I’m coming up on my one-year anniversary on my first Birmingham Hip Resurfacing and 6 weeks on my second. A few months before the first I rode the length of Baja. I had trouble getting on and off the bike at that time.

At 7 months post op on the first, I rode 575 miles in three days through Death Valley, about 150 of that on dirt. A month before the second I rode a steep, switch back dirt road near home for the first time since surgery, something I thought I would never do again. It was fairy easy and brought tears to my eyes.

I tried to lift my foot on the new hip up to the pegs yesterday, not yet. It took three months last year before getting back on. Life is much better after fixing these problems. Sure there’s the down time and recovery, but that nothing compared to the pain I dealt with before. Over and over again I heard folks say they wish they had done it sooner.

Loads of info on hip resurfacing can be found here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/index.php
  8. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

That's a great site! I've spent a lot of time reading stories there.
  9. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    At the 8 1/2 week mark, I have golfed, done a ton of yard work, moved a friend, installed air conditioners in my house and generally been a work horse. And I still feel much better than I did the 3 years before my resurfacing. The next one is being done in just over a month. If it weren't for the rain and the errands, I'd be working but I will this week for sure. I am so looking forward to putting on socks, cutting my toenails, tying my shoes and all that regular stuff that people take for granted.
  10. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    :gerg I think that we should all get together this fall for an informal get together, compare scars, go riding, eat and drink. I have quite a few commitments this year but I could slip away for a long weekend. Are any of you up for a get together in say Death Valley, Soda Dry Lake or the Bishop/ Mammoth area , say late Sept or Oct?.................John
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Mmmmmmmmmm...................Death Valley in October. My wife and I have been talking about this for a few weeks. Sounds good to me!
  12. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    67 days later, the last 8 which have been constant rain and I rode in to the office today. I have been sitting in the garage for the last week sitting on it making the vroom vroom noises but today that orange ball was in the sky and I slung the leg over and hit the road. What a great feeling!!! And how awesome was it to put my foot up on the peg and not cringe in pain. I have 6 weeks till the other side gets done and will be away on business for two of them so for the next 4 it is ride, ride ride!!!!!!!!!!
  13. BEEMERPECKER

Oddometer:
    Good For You. Moto-On!!!

14. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    My riding partner and x-coworker is getting his hip done tomorrow. He said he is also up for a ride this fall.
  15. freebird54

freebird54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    was yours the birmingham resurfacing? - I have booked the op but just been warned as below so comments welcome!!!

<style></style> I got a 2nd opinion yesterday and this guy says yes the Birmingham is the most popular but not for surfing as you can never bring the knee up more than 90 degrees to the body as risk of dislocation - and he says if that happens in the surf u will drown

He says the large size metal/metal inserted into a cut off femur is better especially as it suits my hip bone architecture [wider hips]
    http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/R3_Acetabular_System_24410.htm

Not the one for much older people with the smaller ball and longer spigot into the femur.

I am not talking about this sort of surf either;-) http://www.billabongpro.com/tahiti09/
  16. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    I am at 9 weeks and already am beyond 90 degrees daily. I am having the second one done in June and will be playing hockey (goalie) by Christmas. I have been told of no such restriction after the first 60 days.
  17. Clydascope

Clydascope What's Inyo Belly?

Oddometer:
    I can bring my knee to my chin with my 1st Birmingham, 125 degrees or so.

I fell last weekend with most of my force on that leg in a way that brought my knee to my chest and then I sprung right up, no problem.
  18. BEEMERPECKER

Oddometer:
    Sounds as though your second opinion is recommending a partial hip replacement (replacement of the femur head). It is my understanding that a resurfacing is less invasive and therefore more stable than a replacement.

I am a 4.5 month post-op total hip replacement (ball & socket) recipient and my surgeon has just now let me break 90 degrees with the understanding my leg is to be turned away from the mid-line of my body: never knee in----for the rest of my life.

I have been told that I if I do cross my "bad" leg over my mid-line, I will be putting myself at great risk of a having a dislocation. I've had it happen once, don't want it to happen again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have a clue why your second opinion would recommend a replacement over a resurfacing if you are a candidate for resurfacing. As far a I know being a candidate for resurfacing is based on the integrity of the femur and acetabulem and not on you "hip architecture".

More research or a third opinion might be in order.

I AM NOT AN ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON---I AM ONLY CONVEYING MY EXPERIENCE---I COULD BE ENTIRELY INCORRECT---I OFTEN AM
  19. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    My doctor gave me the standard hip replacement. Large diameter ball and socket. He said that the Birmingham wouldn't be good for me do to my size (230) and my job (firefighter). I have been without restrictions since 6 weeks. This doesn't meen that I went desert racing at 6 weeks, however I was able to surf at 8 weeks after my legs got thier strength and range of motion back. Over all I can't believe how good everything has turned out for me. I think about how FUBARed my life was before the opperation. I could hardly walk let alone do much else. I am doing everything now except running, I never was much of a jogger anyways.
  20. BEEMERPECKER

Oddometer:
    I think I'm pretty safe in saying I have not been the typical hip replacement/resurfacing patient. It could very well be my surgeon is having me be overly cautious because of my history. I do know that at this point in time I am willing to avoid ANYTHING that might put me at risk of going under the knife again; three times has been more than enough.