The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    does anyone make a handle bar damper that works with the stock KTM trees??
  2. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    KTM Hardparts has a set, they are for the newer tree's('0:cool:, but can be made to work on yours. Spendy though.
  3. sailer

Oddometer:
    doing more and more payment on this bike these days and need a good trail type tire that is DOT approved. a, 20 on /80 off, type tire.

trail stuff with rocks and mud, stuff you find around New England
  4. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    Perrelli MT-21 is a good Dot tire
  5. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    How interchangeable are the seats on the KTM models?

I have a 99 300EXC. The bike came a SDG and a stock KTM seat. Both are very low. I know its a dirtbike and not a touring bike, but I would like a taller seat.
  6. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michelin AC10 looks good and is well priced ... (tried front, and have just few K with rear)

7. sailer

Oddometer:
    do you have them on a EXC ?

how many miles do you have on them?

how are they in the mud ?
  8. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    Here is a video of a friend, 26,trying to catch me on my 300 XC-W. He edited in 3 kickstarts at the start but it was one and he just repeated that clip, just to get a dig in. He could not keep up with me ( I am now 71). I had to wait on him even though he is a very fast and competent rider. At the end he wore out and crashed. It made a nice ending to the 4 + minute video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqqcyh0x82s

Stu
  9. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

Nope, I don't have them on 300 but on 650X. I've used the front for quite a few K including a fair bit of road and wear is fine. Rear again same bike have done 800k, of which 220 was of road, about 90 was trail (desert like sand and rocks). It hold fine. I did about 10k in very slick mud and clay mix and it was perfect for the big bike. I thing for a hard tyre is very grippy.
  10. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pics of

New AC10 above :D
    [​IMG]

AC10 with about 800k
    [​IMG]
  11. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Well...almost "300". $281.00...

worth of x-rays, that is. I got a discount for paying cash...no medical coverage.

The ol' XC-W tried to kill my ass, again, today. Doctor's diagnosis- Bruised ribs and a possible concussion. I have to go back, for a CT scan, if the headache continues.

I hit an overhanging tree, about 9" in diameter, at about 20-30 m.p.h. (while woods riding). Actually, my head hit it, and pulled the rest of my 220lb. body off the bike. I hit the ground like Mike Tyson gave me his best.

I never saw that fukker comin'. I came-out of a tight left-hander, stood in the throttle, and WAM!...blackness. Got-up with my "wind" half-knocked out of me, and the bike laying about 15-feet away.

Gear? No koerta or roost/chest protector. However, I was wearing my Leatt. I cringe to think of the outcome if I wasn't.

Sorry guys...no actions shots, this time.

I turned 40 last week. All I can say is, "40 hurts".

12. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

Sounds like you made out ok considering! :huh

Been thinking about the Leatt Brace. :nod
  13. Shooter1

Shooter1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain WARRIORPRINCE. I hit a low hangin' tree in a hare scramble once and all went black, I was out like a light. All I remember is I woke up, laying on top of the bike, and had to drag it backwards, uphill, to get it untangled from the trees. All this while other racers were using me as a berm. I've smacked a couple other "low-hangers" with my head since then and rung my bell but nothing like the first time. I try to really watch for that stuff now. I'll be 54 in December and that shit hurts more the older you get.....
  14. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Warrior, wishing you a speedy recovery. It has been about 35 years since I had a bell-ringer like yours. Being in my 70th year, I now say I did all my fast riding 40 years ago. AGATT, although you do remind me that I need a Leatt brace. Thanks.

Jack
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Thanks (to all) for the well-wishing, and words of wisdom. I can always count on the guys from ADV. :thumb

A little off the 300 topic, but, I'll tell you what...

To me, having that Leatt is like having a helmet. It's just a necessity...one of the realities of riding. For a while there, I was even wearing it on the street. And, at the moment, can't remember why I stopped. I love the thing. And, this is the second accident where I feel that it has played a pivotal role.

I think that protective gear is a matter of choice...to each his own. But, if you are even considering a Leatt, I would highly recommend it.

YMMV...

Foiler likes this.
  16. Jimy_tapp

Jimy_tapp tldr

Oddometer:
    I dunno if I like the AC10 as much as pampaX, I'm runnin one on my 505xc-f, which is a real tire eater and I don't run 20% slab just some hard-packed logging road and then full offroad/track. I went in to buy a Maxxis IT, which I have on my cr-250, and it works really well around here. But all they had for hard compound was the AC10, it doesn't chunk which is good, but once it starts wearing it really wears fast. If i was running 20% slab I might buy another one depending on how well it works on pavement.

My next tire is going to be a Cheng-Shin, 120-r18, hard compound. They're only half the price as the bigger names, and some guys around here swear by them. If there not half as good I'll be going back to a Maxxis IT.

But yeah for 20% slab, the AC10 is worth a shot.
  17. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    \
    Check it out. Slavens is selling pipe guards now.

http://slavensracing.com/products/ktm/flatland-racing-ktm-2-stroke-pipe-guard
    :deal

18. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if an exhaust pipe for 06+ would fit my 02?

My pipe is in really bad shape and needs replacing ...
  19. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm going to say no. i think the cylinder flange is different and the stinger placement is slightly off
  20. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a rekluse. Let's see if it turns out all to be promised.