CB desert sled

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Luke, Sep 6, 2012.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Danny has trained Luke to fetch him bacon treats whenever Luke opens a beer can. :lol3

Technically Danny is the wife's dog, but I was the lucky SOB who got to clean up after the "incident". :cry
  2. TwinDuro

TwinDuro Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Ah, good to know! It did seem kind of weird that Sudco recommended the CR29s for both the CB550 and CB750; it all makes sense now! :D
  3. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Alex and I got a little more done yesterday.

It's a bit cold and a lot damp about now, so we started a fire.

First split some wood.
    [​IMG]

The usual camp fire starting methods work great; when you're in a place where sensible people go to camp. This isn't one of those places. Who needs sensible, anyway? Or tinder? Or Kindling?
    [​IMG]

Plans, I haz them.
    [​IMG]
    These are for the shock bearing bushings.

Yes, the bearings will have bushings.

The bushings need to be a press fit both inside and outside. They also have lips to set the depth of the parts so the bearings end up (and stay) in the right position.

Starting on the inside:
    [​IMG]

Then a whole bunch of work happens.

To end up with this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the whole thing turned out a tiny bit too loose, so I either have to make another or just glue it in with loctite. I measured up all the parts again so that I'll have a reference for what works and what doesn't.

[​IMG]

And, on a different note, I welded up the back of the frame. It feels good not to leave it lashed together.
    [​IMG]
  4. TwinDuro

Oddometer:
  5. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I like it. :thumb

The machine work ain't bad either. :D

6. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    New Year's Day and we're back at it. Allan and Rick were able to help too and we got a lot done.

There was a little more spacer work, this one was for the steering stem.
    [​IMG]

But the good stuff is the engine. Rick and Allan got most of the top end done while I was messing around on the lathe. Then we all had to get into it.

[​IMG]

There're no pictures of putting the pistons in the cylinders, it took all hands available to do that.

[​IMG]

The 5" spring compressor wasn't big enough, so we made a 6" version.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one worked much better.

[​IMG]

Figuring out how to set the timing. It's important! It's also harder when you've replaced the parts that have timing marks with other model / aftermarket parts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little victory. The motor isn't quite done, but it's a lot closer. It was definitely a good day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesn't seem like much, because the stuff that didn't take pictures of never happened. Like Allan and I pulling the triple clamps off the forks and mounting them to the frame just to figure out the size of the spacer. Rick's half-dozen trips to the computer to figure out which piston rings go in which groove. (no instructions included and no online consensus, of course). Hogging out holes in the headgasket so it fit properly. Little things. Important things. But they didn't get a picture. There are a lot of things like that.
  7. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Other big news. I am officially entered in the Mexican 1000, so now this bike really has to get finished.

#33, Motorcycle-Vintage-Open class.

115 Days to Mexicali.

:eek1
  8. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    oh yeah :clap
  9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Just to follow up on Luke's report and add a few more pictures, yesterday was a great day out in the shop and felt like a really good way to kick off the New Year! :D

Starting the day out in a chilly shop, but not inclined to bitch much after watching bmwktmbill working on his GXV out in the snow drifts! :eek1

In the AM;
    [​IMG]

Getting the fire burning;
    [​IMG]

Luke with heater buddy;
    [​IMG]

Loud Al with portable fire pit;
    [​IMG]

In the PM (it eventually got up to 52 degrees when we closed up the curtains);
    [​IMG]

Luke lathing;
    [​IMG]

Early in the day, lots of cleaning and prep work, measuring rings, getting everything ready for piston-ring-cylinder install;
    [​IMG]

After Luke found the "sweet spot" and got the first guide in;
    [​IMG]

Guide number 2 installed;
    [​IMG]

Pistons and rings ready for the ever so delicate process of installing the cylinder. Luke noted later that the only cussing heard during the entire day was during this process, and most of the special words were coming from me. Think football and three monkeys! :lol3
    [​IMG]

After cylinder install, the three of us assembled the head, bolted it on and then installed the rocker cover assembly so Luke could rotate the motor thru a couple revolutions and verify all was in harmony.

Awesome day, really enjoyed being out in the shop and seeing so much progress. :clap
  10. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Wish I knew that trick about installing the cam chain guide BEFORE the cylinders go back in- woulda saved me two and a half days work back in September :p

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together!
  11. TwinDuro

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys! :clap

It looks fantastic and as always, great photos Allan!

Go Team Greenshirts! :freaky
  12. DOCsprocket

DOCsprocket Sprocket

Oddometer:
    Awesome installment, but how come when I come to the shop we spend all day making a hole in a piece of aluminum, and when I'm not there you guys appear to be making a motorcycle?
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Here are a group of photos from last night, showing Luke's most recent progress. Luke has mega hours into this bike laready, with many more to go!

Fabricating one upper shock stud, 4 hours;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit of shock;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap:clap:clap
  14. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Luking good.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Had a family obligation today and missed most of the work session, but got home in time to spend an hour or so out in the shop with Luke, Loud Al and TwinDuro (Corey). They got a lot done, engine is pretty much buttoned up and the bike is almost on its wheels. I'm sure Luke or Loud Al will post more pics later, here are just a couple I took when Jan and I were out in the shop with the guys.

Luke & Corey had a nice surprise for me, they welded up the steering dampener post and also added the extended steering stops to my TTR;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The obligatory shot of Al taking a picture of me taking a picture of Al, but I was a little slow on the shot. You can see Jan peeking around the corner, she was gathering up coffee cups and the thermos;

[​IMG]

The gang;

[​IMG]

:D
  16. TwinDuro

Oddometer:
  17. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Well, you also missed a few other days spend making holes in aluminum, then another couple of days making funny shaped rods out of steel. :D

I think that the time spent on parts is the inverse of their size.

The big parts are fun, the little ones are hard.
  18. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    So, as Rick said, Allan and Cory and I put a day in yesterday. Well, more like a half day. There was a bit of a late start and a lunch break involved. Lunch was at a diner the locals call "Icky's". Scary sounding, but its been in business for a while in a non-tourist town. It must be ok. And it was.

We finished the assembly on the motor: torqued the head, set the valve lash, double checked that the oil pickup tubes were correct.

Also made a little more progress on the shock mounts- Al made most of a lower shock mount. A little clean up and threading on it and we'll be ready to tack it on the swingarm and check the geometry.

Finally, just to tick Alex off we put the frame on a jack and mounted up the forks, swingarm and shock just so it looked like we were building a bike. :deal
  19. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    Luke making a list

[​IMG]

Carbs

[​IMG]

Mesure once

[​IMG]

They just need a small adjustment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paying the rent :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shock mount

[​IMG]

Progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

This was the first time I'd really been into these carbs. The spacing between the carbs is set up for a different bike, so we had to pull them apart to figure out how to adjust that. At first, it looked like there was no way to syncronize the carbs. Normally there's a spring/screw arrangement that connects individual shafts and can be adjusted. None of that on these, though. Which was actually a relief. No way of adjusting them is one less thing to worry about.

Of course, that wasn't true at all. It turns out that the screws that hold the levers to the throttle shaft (that I'm turning in the picture) are actually a double-screw arrangement sort of like a valve tapped. So not only do the carburetors need to be syncronized, the carb lids have to be opened up to do it.

The good news is that all the parts that are needed for the carb seem to be available. In other words, I've ordered them, and hope they're actually in stock. In the spirit of optimism I also ordered some round bar stock for fabricating a new throttle shaft in case the supposedly universal shaft isn't universal enough.