2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to know as well....on pavement I never experienced an issue.

RightCross, Pro Italia also carries the Triumph and Guzzi line for test riding purposes.
  2. RightCross101

RightCross101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will give them a call and schedule a test ride. Likely gonna drive down next weekend.
  3. RightCross101

RightCross101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I am no regular gs rider. I had a 650 sometime ago. It just felt really odd, when in tight cornering it felt like it was "engaging" and then the front end felt like it wanted to wander, the movements were kinda abrupt. I messed with the esa settings a lot and by turning off traction control it then was smoother.

But it was not confidence inspiring at all. Otherwise the bike felt great, just a lot bigger than the explorer, felt kinda like a tractor.

Maybe I was just on a crappy demo bike.
  4. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ok I'm not going to review the bike (best left to the experts), but I will give some first impressions:

THE GOOD

LED running lights seem to be the "new black" on just about any bike coming out of Europe, Ducati is no different. They look kinda kewl.
    [​IMG]

Especially when the headlights are both LED as well (which consume a lot less battery charge)
    [​IMG]

....meaning the (halogen) high-beams can now work together with low beam; greater illumination without getting a dead battery!
    [​IMG]

The new screen is now higher and wider at the top. Almost as effective as that giant screen on my BMW GSA. Best thing is the "pinch-n-shift" handle; allows the screen to be moved whilst riding. Works perfectly for me in the lowest setting, and surprisingly when I move it to the highest position it all but stops the wind on my head, but changes to allow some side draft to cool my torso.....great in our hot-weather highway riding. (Not sure if this would be the same for tall riders though) -
    [​IMG]

THE BAD

New seat stitching looks very posh, but those hard edges really dig into your thighs. Will either swap this for a comfort seat, or see if the older original curvier MTS seats still fit
    [​IMG]

Also the gearbox is way more clunky than any of my other Ducatis...weird??!! I can actually feel a "pulsing" through the clutch lever every time I change gear; it's really distracting. Does anyone have a take on this?? Changing lever span position doesn't do much to change this.

THE UGLY

For all the changes they've made on this bike (and there are lots) you're still stuck with that infernal centre-stand that catches your heel if you want to ride sport-style (on the balls of your feet)......it's not like there wasn't a gujjilion complaints about this on the first model.

Normal foot position
    [​IMG]

"on the ball" foot position
    [​IMG]

And there is the most irritating buzzing/rattling at about 3500-4000 rpm. It sounds like all the plastics are about to fall off. As best as i can make out I'm 99% sure it's coming from the retainer springs that lock the windscreen position. Hopefully it's an easy fix by just using a thicker rubber tube around the spring -
    [​IMG]

That is all.......for now.....
    dewog

5. N9921X

N9921X Wins

Oddometer:
    Does the new multistrada 1200 run on 87 octane?
    Or does it need 91 like my triumph tiger.
    Thinking of swapping.
  6. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need to check the owner's manual (I've not had to fill up yet) but the technical Guy at the Ducati dealership told me it's rated to use the expensive 98 RON, though 95 RON is ok if the uber-premium is unavailable .

NB: 98 RON = 89-90 MON or 93-94 AKI
    95 RON = 85-86MON or 90-91 AKI

Sory but in Aus we use research octane number ratings not motor octane numbers or anti-knock Index
  7. Stromtrooper246

Stromtrooper246 Lost again

Oddometer:
    Yep, for my bike it did. A 2002 Guzzi V-11. The swelling happened to the prior owner and I had seen it happen at the time. He was the second owner of the bike and MG would not warranty the tank. The tank developed a bulge on one side and he actually ordered a new tank. Someone from the V-11 forum gave him the tip on Stabil and the bulge went away. That new tank is still sitting in his garage in bubble wrap.
  8. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Useful, thanks!
  9. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I tested the 2013 Multi yesterday (S model). I have been obsessing about this bike for a very long time, but was never willing to test it before I had the money to buy one.

Overall it lived up to the high standards I expected. Amazingly light steering, feels very stable and easy to control at lower speeds (unlike my old Vstrom). Comfortable. Enough power :evil. I have to say I was a little concerned about how it would handle slow speed and constant low throttle work (I commute, so this is important to me), but I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the character of the motor (feels like I am on a bike, unlike my current Bandit), although it could benefit from an aftermarket pipe to make a bit more noise.

There was only one thing that was absolutely CRAP, and that is that excuse of a screen. I am 6 foot tall, and the buffeting (no matter what setting) and wind noise was terrible. It was almost as bad as the standard screen on my old VStrom. Having said that, having had the Wee experience, I know it can be fixed.

So, I am hoping to hear back from the dealer with a trade in price for my GSX1250FA, and if they get to my magic number I will have one in the garage by next week-end :clap:clap:clap
  10. Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius It's a mad house

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I can't remember who posted the saying first...however it is very true..."do not test ride this bike if you do not have the money to buy it". :norton

Remember this however...it's only true when you post the picture!
  11. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Signed for the new Standard Multi tonight, picking it up on Saturday :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Waited all day for the dealer where I tested the bike to call me back with a change-over price........I am still waiting. So I drove to the other dealer in town, who did not have a demo, but who I knew had a base model on the floor waiting for me, and after the usual salesman bullshit and negotiation got to the chaange-over price I wanted. I am absolutely WRAPPED. How the hell am I meant to sleep for the rest of the week.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on that acquisition. How is it that Perth has two Ducati dealers; I didn't know it was that large of a city. Pics when you get the chance please.
  13. EvilGilligan

EvilGilligan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THIS is why I bought a 2013 Multistrada.
    I can't bet trusted with any kind of sport bike...hell, during a test drive of a 2011 Sprint GT I damn near scrubbed the pegs off the think in the 'burbs of Seattle! I use the Urban mode to be less of a dick, and the upright seating doesn't cause the broken old bones much pain.

Downside: I wasn't really a wheelie guy before, and now ....

In short- love this fookin' bike. Can't believe how much fun I'm having again.
  14. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a population of 1.8 million and increasing every day, and a lot of people with mining $, so can sustain multiple dealers. Thank heavens for that, because if the first one I went to was the only dealer I would have bought a different bike.
  15. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I've been riding for 18 years now. My relationship with motorcycling has changed over those years. Finding different ways to enjoy it and keeping it fresh. Multistrada has put a great big smile on my face. It's exciting again!

:clap
  16. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LED running lights are mandatory for all new cages (new as in type certification of a model, not individual vehicles) since last year in the EU.

I know that similar regulations were intended to be imposed on bikes, not sure if those are in effect yet. Expect every EU bike (and all models designed to be sold on the european market) to sport LED running lights in the very near future.
  17. Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius It's a mad house

Oddometer:
    Finally arrived! My new Pikes Peak is all set. First 100 miles today was epic. This is hands down the best street bike (I doubt it will ever see anything rougher than a gravel road) that I have ever thrown a leg over.
    Low end - Endless and smooth torque.
    Mid range - comes on like a banshee and roars and growls right into the high range of the RPM's.
    Sport & Touring were the only two settings I got to today...but all the other will follow. Holy Cow! This thing is 100% filled with awesomeness! :D

My Mods:
    Leo Vince Mid Pipe with Termi Carbon
    Panniers (Red) for touring
    Ducati Zumo 220 GPS
    Center Stand
    Heated Grips
    Frame sliders front, mid and rear wheel
    Rizmo Tail Tidy with new LED blinkers
    Ducati Carbon Tank guard

What a bike! :clap:clap:clap:clap
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Jealous... I is.
  19. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my new MTS 12 S Touring last week and have 1600 miles on it so far...overall its a great bike except the seat sucks and the windscreen is only good in the lowest position. If you move it the noise level gets crazy loud. I'm 5'10" BTW.

I have the top box and the grandturismo windscreen installed today...we'll see how they are afterwards.
  20. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    i'm your size and on my 2010 I had the same issue with the windscreen - I think a lot of people did. Look in to "aztec" spacers or the palmer products screen holder (or diy with some plastic washers) - both get the screen off the bike so air can flow around it and they change the angle so its a little more upright. I have the palmer products thing and that has helped and the angle of the screen is adjustable so you can fine tune it. The aztec spacers are a bit more of an elegant solution and look "cleaner" but the angle is fixed, so you get what you get. After saying all that, I still prefer my ghetto pikes peak screen (cut down and painted stock screen) but its nice to have a bigger screen in the cold or on long tours.