Cheryl & Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC ADV to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Jun 12, 2011.

1. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that Triumph hat you have on in the video, did the Triumph Dealer that supplied the Tigers sell you the hat?:clap
  2. flaldrider

flaldrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been subscribed to your ride report and enjoyed greatly your pictures and prose describing your ride. Great
    Stuff.:clap

Glad to see that you have enjoyed it also and overcame the problems you have encountered. That is what makes you ADV Riders!!

Ride Safe.

Mike
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    We got some hats and t shirts as gifts.:wink:
  4. SnowCat

SnowCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheryl and Leslie, thanks for the fantastic report. Been in since the beginning and am sorry to see it end. Been a lot of work for you to post but a ton of people are enjoying it. Have been taking notes as we are going on this trip next year. Been following XC rider and others as well. A DVD would be awesome, sign me up for a copy!

Mike
  5. soph9

Oddometer:
    August 9th 2011

Sunrise over Loon Bay, not that great the sky was too clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice morning but got a little rain in the afternoon. I took a walk up the street to get my morning coffee while Cheryl slept in. We really had no plans today except to ride and explore a bit, and we did.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed towards Wells Gray on this road that turned into a really fun off road adventure to Canim Lake.[​IMG]

We shot some video but that will have to wait until we get home.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite rocky this 100 KM road was. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took us around many lakes. There are many little and large lakes up here with camping type resorts.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some photos of Cheryl coming up the road[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was hot today. over 30 C or 90 F. We loosened up the jackets and opened all the vents. The Traverse suit works really well when you are up on the pegs.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bikes back to be dusty and dirty again which meant we would need to stop in 100 Mile House at the local KTM shop and get some chain cleaner and lube. We ran out.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bikes felt so LIGHT with the panniers off.

Completely different feel to them. We only got to ride a little over 500 KM without luggage so the weight is all we know until today. These Tigers are really fun to ride with just the rider. Although they are still heavy bikes, we both felt they were as nibble as can be on all these rocks, sand, clay and hard pack roads.

Glad we got to ride the bikes almost "naked" on this gravel. Good info for the final review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a bit of active logging in this region and signs to warn you about trucks.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motorcycles love this crap don't they?:ear[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have no idea why this fake girl is up on this roof. Forgot to ask the owner of the little store we stopped in for pop and ice cream. What does this mean?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading back to Loon Bay via 100 Mile House[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got our chain cleaning stuff, after getting gas we did the deed. The chains are back to being clean and shiny with lube once again. Maybe Triumph should make this bike with a shaft?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our little canoe trip out on the lake we took before dinner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loons make a lot of noise at night for some reason but they are sure good looking birds.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday and today I thought I could hear juvie Bald Eagles calling out. Sure enough on the canoe we found the nest, saw two juvies branching, calling out and we spotted both adults not far away from the nest.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other adult was on the other side of the Bay[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool boat. We think the operator must have made it. Pretty quick little thing it even made a wake.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These little guys lead the way to the dock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, leisurely day we had, took the bikes out for a fun ride for over 200 KM today. Got out on the lake, saw some wild life, Cheryl found a Geocache nearby, ate dinner, having smores and hanging out by the fire.

Tomorrow we are leaving our little sanctuary and most likely will spend one more night out and then home.
  6. opaque_machete

opaque_machete girls wanna have fun

Oddometer:

...but changed forever. :D

You grrrrls are my heroes! :D

Ride safe.
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    Starting to get that awful feeling in my stomach. You know the one....a little depressed, sad it's over but need to move on into the real world crap. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....it's like a mourning of some kind. I think I ought to write a book about ADV riders and their transition back into reality.:lol3
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we know what you mean. The trip is coming to an end, it's been awesome to read. Hold onto those last few days and enjoy them. When the end comes, have a beer or two or three, relax and then remember with fond memories.

Then within a week or two start planning your next trip. It's the planning that will get you through.
  9. PhilzLeads

PhilzLeads Goin' mobile

Oddometer:
    Thankyou both for the fine RR. Before I started reading this, I was at my local Yamaha dealer looking at a Tiger 800XC, what a nice bike I thought. Wonder if I should trade my '01 Dakar and get that Tiger I thought to myself? Well maybe.

Great photos, love the report on the bikes, bummer about the stalling issues, I'm sure that will get resolved. Transition back slow. Think of it as coming off of a drug, after all it really is just like that.....don't do cold turkey, do it slow.
  10. soph9

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qW2Ak-i_7To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Two feelings occur at the end of the trip. Either nothing feels right except that all will be best once home or you get that 'all is moving too fast toward the end' sense. In the first case, you've had enough of the road. In the second, not enough.

Fake girls on roof --- I have no facts here but I do know that country people are often quite whimsical. Like I went into a country store in the backwoods of ME once to find all furniture made by owner and all had six instead of four legs. He had a brainwave once that this was the new and improved furniture. Didn't work out too well but there is always the next whimsey to pursue.
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    We did about 200 KM yesterday with no luggage on. The bikes felt so light and nibble and it was just a great off road gravel day!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q6mXRaisv1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    Going to stay at the cabin on Loon Bay for another night and head home tomorrow via Kelly Lake and Rt 99

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3D5ewS3rS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    I don't blame ya... it's no fun starting the day heading out into the rain.
  15. opaque_machete

opaque_machete girls wanna have fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for taking us along. It has been a wonderful experience for me, too. Been here since the beginning of your trip and have logged on everyday to see what had developed that day. Your trip and your RR have been very inspiring to me and I have found myself immersed in Alaska and BC through your eyes and narrative. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!
    Ride safe.
    Marjorie
  16. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to do a bit of good gravel from where you are down towards Clinton, the North Bonaparte Road will take you from Bridge Lake to 70 mile house.
    Just go into the Bridge Lake townsite and go stay right past the store. Takes you past Crystal Lake and Pressy Lake. Turns back to pavement just before Green Lake.

Really enjoying your RR, especially the last bit. I grew up in the area and was friends with the original owners of the Loon Bay resort.
  17. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    Love the photos of the eagles. Don't see many of them down here in Ga. (none in fact).
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    Hey Alex how is your own trip going? Nice of you to take the time to check in with our RR when you are on such a grand trip yourself. Enjoy, be safe...and hope your GF likes the jackets!:1drink
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    sounds good to us! Thanks. We will be home tomorrow just not sure when:wink:
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    You are very welcomed....it has been a lot of fun doing this from the road.

No matter how many we see in BC I still love watching eagles live or on web cams. They are magnificent creatures.

The second!

I think we are taking is slowly, today we are doing nothing but sleeping and eating!:D

Planning is the easy part, paying for all this well???? Maybe Cheryl should continue to be a RCMP and become a social worker while I should carry on with my career as a social and become a RCMP as well. Then we would have a lot of $$....but then again no time eh?