9 Horses of Fury...A Zuma 125 on the Loose

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.I gotta push to get out there again.School starting back will make it harder.:cry
  2. Skyway6

Skyway6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    interesting thread. read thru the whole thing. Nice progression over the 2yrs with this thread for Cbolling and even more coincidental as i have done just about the same thing. and even more funny is i lust after a red Jeep :)

In November 2013 i took delivery of a 2014 Kawasaki Versys 650abs and just 2days ago took home a 2014 Yamaha BWS125 (aka Zuma)

have not had much of a chance to ride them. Winter happened for the Versys so except for a 100ft ride from outside to under ground parking spot i havent ridden it.

and we had monsoon rain all weekend so did not feel like getting the BWS all dirty.

here is pic of the new rides

[​IMG]
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading the thread all the way through. I hate to just let it die out.

The Zuma is a great scoot. I know that you will love it.

That green Versys is awesome. I wish we had green here still.
  4. BubbasDucati

BubbasDucati Very new nOOb

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy ridding my scoot scoot.. its can really scoot.. 499cc.. looks sporty.. but I don't have room for it anymore..
  5. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would not ride Zuma. Heard they won't climb hills. :lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe what you heard is that mine won't climb hills.
  7. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, what I get from all this, is that a CVT simply does not have a low enough gear ratio to climb well. A Yamaha 125 scooter has about 8 hp, yet a 50cc 2 hp bike will climb circles around it. This only seems to be the case with smaller scooters, and does not apply to maxi scooters. They have way more power, and possibly a wider gear ratio in the CVT as well.

A cvt, not MY cvt. Your words, not mine
  8. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, how about somebody find out for sure. Find a long 7% grade, take your Zuma 125, whack the throttle wide open and go for it. See how long it takes the engine to blow up. I didn't get very far, my engine was pinging, rattling, and knocking (same as trying to ride a motorcycle up the hill a couple of gears too high) I turned around quickly to save the engine. I even went so far as to install a clip on tachometer on it, and found the rpms while trying to climb this steep grade were less than half what they were riding on a level road at 55 mph. RPMs should have been nearly the same, as climbing the mountain put a lot more of a load on it than riding full speed on a level road. If gearing is not the problem, then how do you explain it?
  9. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Well, I am really starting to get the scooter feeling again. I really miss not having one in the garage. Problem is that my oldest just turned 16 so if there are any purchases to be made it will be a car for him.

Thinking about selling the Versys for a Maxi.
  10. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding a ZX6 for the last 10 months and when I sold it and got the Smax I am actually excited, happy, and more relaxed to ride again.

Go for the scoot!
  11. cbolling

Oddometer:
    My 1st Motorcycle was a 1992 ZX6.
  12. cbolling

Oddometer:
  13. cbolling

Oddometer:
    The New Ride:
    [​IMG]
  14. Mitch954

Mitch954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, just wow!!!

Spent nearly an hour and just read all 33 pages, top to bottom.

A few things I've learned...
    I've owned a 2004 Zuma 50 for 10 years now!! 5500 miles, and never a single hiccup!!

I've been complaining for all 10 years that 1. The footing position, and see that they make the Hwy Pegs! Had no idea, and that lead me to find out 2. that they make a side kickstand!! Hated not having one.

I also realize that S. Florida sucks, not that I didnt know that before, so flat and boring, that I want to move to SC!! Love all the pics.

I've been wanting to upgrade my scoot for the past few months. I just cant stand the 38mph max. speed anymore. I've been trying to decide between the new Yamaha Smax, Honda PCX 150, and Zuma.

No used Smax's out there yet, not in love with the PCX, so, your thread has sold me on a Zuma 125.

If anyone in S. Florida is interested in a clean, blue Zuma 50, let me know.

Great thread, Thanks!

Said scoot,

[​IMG]
  15. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the legal implications are in your area for a fast 50cc but you could do a few mods to your 50 and have it doing 45 to 50mph.
  16. Mitch954

Mitch954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure your right, but I also want something a bit bigger as I take my daughter for rides now and then...

So.... as luck would have... I just started searching CL and found what I'm looking for... Going to see it tomorrow night, and likely drive it home.

I'll do an intro page when it happens, but,
    2011 bought in 2013 with 1100 miles, bone stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. cbolling

Oddometer:
    That looks good. The Zuma 125 really is a great scoot. :clap

Be sure and let us know if you get one.:deal
  18. Vultan

Vultan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is! I'm going to get the new "R" version this October. Too bad it won't be in the US of A anytime soon. :(:

[​IMG]
  19. cbolling

Oddometer:
    That is a big change. I don't even recognize that as being a Zuma.
  20. Mitch954

Mitch954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made an intro post but I guess its not approved yet??

Well, I am absolutely loving the 125.
    Suspension, power, handling, seating, all much improved... (obviously) I thought I was going to be more "cramped" than it actually is. The seat is such that you can slide back and actually feel pretty comfortable.

It gets right up to 50 then creeps to 55, which is perfect for all my local riding. with 2 people, no problems what so ever. Brakes could be a little stronger, a rear disk would help a lot,

A question or 2...
    when cruising, down by my feet, I hear a clicking.. kind of sounds like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle, like when I was a kid... Is that just the valves and such?? Again, its only got 1200 miles.

Second, looking for a good top box that doubles as a back rest since I will have a passenger pretty often.

I already ordered the Highway Pegs, and set up my Battery Tender with the plug coming out just under the front of the seat.

Some pics to follow... if they will only post my Intro thread... :D