990 oil pressure measurement

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Balder681, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Balder681

Balder681 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I have the bloody red (oil pressure) light on on my 990 (2006) adventure and I am not quiet sure what's exactly the reason for it. I've read about it and it seems sometimes it's on even if there's no problem - is that true?

Anyway I wanna find out the problem, so I decided I start with measuring the oil pressure. I guess the best place to measure it is on the plug of the cam chain tensioner ? Any other options? I just try to avoid to remove the whole airbox and etc and then to mount it again to test it

Thx in advance,
    Nik.
  2. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Nik, I fitted a pressure gauge (mechanical - marshall brand off eBay) to the front cam tensioner, KTM make a kit that there Techs use to measure pressure.

Watch the oil pressure light issue. Most probably leaking water pump seal :eek1and causing a blocking of your oil filter:cry. You need to pull the sucker out and see if it's wavey. Lots of info here on this one.

Cheers from Oz, Glenn.
  3. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glen is spot on. Lay your bike over and pull your oil filter. Look for wavey pleats.

You could pull the hex nut off the oil filter housing and take a pressure reading from here.

If you have a pressure problem the cam chain noise will tell you. Good luck
  4. Balder681

Balder681 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for advise. It's not the water pump, since a new one is recently installed.
    Oil and oil filters are also new. I removed the oil filter just to check if that's the reason
    (since I thought also maybe something leaked again), but no change -> light is still on.

About the cam chain noise - I am aware it exists if there's a pressure drop, but I can't
    really say that it exists on my bike, since I am not sure exactly I can recognize this sound.
    I will try to measure the oil pressure in any case, just to be sure :)

Cheers,
    Nik.
  5. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can be as easy as a faulty pressure sender as well, couldn't it? It has happened to some..
  6. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    How'bout engine sound?

is it normal or clackity clack noisy?

If it's more noisy than usual, something is wrong with oil pressure inside the engine.

does the red light flicker, or is it constantly on?

If permanently on without flickering i'd say its a malfunctioning oi pressure sender
  7. Balder681

Balder681 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I cleaned yesterday again the oil screens (oil filter is not installed). I started again the engine with the pressure gauge - no oil pressure light, pressure was slowly increasing on the pressure gauge. The gauge was showing around 1 bar or a bit below at around 1200-1500rpm (it's analogue gauge, so I couldn't measure it really that exactly). As I was checking the amount of oil (after engine was in temperature), the oil was with bubles and kind of a a bit light brown (saw that on the oil dipstick). Could that mean that cooling water is again going into the engine (oil)?! Or it's just air in the oil?!

I have also to mention that the original oil I put in was motorex 10w-50, but since I ran out of it, I added some castrol 10w-50. Could it be that the mixture of both oils leaded that the oil is with bubbles?!

Thx & Cheers,
    Nik.
  8. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have bubbles for a couple of rides after an oil change (had it on my LC4 as well), so I think this, by itself doesn't mean anything IMO..

If you have clatter + red oil light flickering -> most likely the oil filter is restricting the flow and proper pressure to build up.

If you don't have clatter + red oil light is on -> it's most likely a faulty pressure sender.

I would lay the bike on it's right, and pull the filter - and see if it's wavy or collapsed.. The new WP seal could have been damaged during it's installation..

edit: I see you've removed the oil filter -> could you post a picture of it?
    edit2: How was the pressure @6k rpm?

I suppose you've already seen this, but if not, give it a look:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/adventure/oil_pressure_gauge/oil_pressure_gauge.html