The New Ninja 300

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by studad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bracket bolted up, simple angle iron 4.5" long. Primed & painted black. Fuzzy pic, sorry. :1drink

[​IMG]
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Side view mounted up.

[​IMG]
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can lift the bike by grabbing the rack now. Solidly mounted, slightest bit of flex. Next for a top box! :1drink

The bolts thru the pass peg mounts are very home Depot appearing, I'll be swapping on some button head allens ASAP!
  4. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love your enthusiasm but gotta say.....you take some of the blurriessssstttttt pictures ever.....:D
  5. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I thought I was developing cataracts. :eek1
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no Ansel Adams! :1drink

Cel phone pics while shooting from alongside the phone. It is an old cel phone too, rotary dial. :D
  7. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Just hold the phone against something in the room or turn more lights
    on or both. That'll fix 90% of the problems. The other 10% is learning
    to resize before posting.

:deal
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have my kids take any further pics. I'm lucky I was able to figure out how to even take them, much less post them! :1drink
  9. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim.

Besides the quality of the photos it's nice to see how you did it. I will discuss this with the design team. We might be able to make a small adjustment kit and sell these to you Ninja 300 guys.

Kevin
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everybodys a critic! :1drink

I think it will be very easily done, it could be slicker with a mod to the rear arms dropping off the main rack frame, they could be shorter and have less of the support hang so far below the body, but even just a slightly different under bracket will do the trick.

I think this bike will prove to be far more touring friendly than the old 250. The extra power, wider ratio gearbox and ability to pull taller gearing really sets it well above the 250 and a far gap above the CBR250r.
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    man you know who is Ansel Adams!!! yeah man!!! sorry I had to say it! not many people know that these days!

Damasovi
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    SW-motech rack with small moose top box.

[​IMG]
  13. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Navin, whats the mileage on your bike now, and have their been any first year gremlins?

I was looking at a white 300 the other day, and they also had the green ABS model...which is probably the one I want. Just can't decide if I wanna wait for that new Honda CBR500R.
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    North of 2200 now. Gremlins, not really, just typical of the price range materials.

The fairings are brittle, a few bolts got loose, the steering head bearings are totally junk. If I was recommending this to a new rider or one who rides conservativly I'd tell them to change those bearings for $45 and just add gas. It needs nothing else to be a much better bike than even most modded Ninja 250s. It still has that tossability of the 250 though.

I doubt I'd look over the Honda any differently. The CBR250r IMO is nearly the same level of overall quality as the 300. Neither are impressive unless you add the caveat "for the money".
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coocase S50 Astra top case, passenger back pad, quick release plate, Cortech NOS expandable magnetic tank bag and ready to hit the road.

[​IMG]
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Navin thanks for answering my previous question, a lot of info there!

is that a 50L top case? And BTW I am sending Kawasaki your name so they can send YOU some advertisement money! you are THE expert on this bike.

Are there any Ninja 300 vs CBR250R out there in mags? I am hopping there are since I like both and can only buy one.

Damasovi
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, 50L. IDC how some think it looks, I only see the speedo and top of the windshield when travelling and dry clothes are a my concern.

My experience with the 300 vs. my son's 2012 250 Ninja, (and his opinion too), is that the 300 totally blows the N250 away in every catagory. Since the tests between theN250/CBR250, IMO was just about a draw, with my preference going Ninja anyway for higher top end power, I'd say it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Add the tuner and just forget about it.
  18. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Navin what's the comparison of the 2 on the interstate, your sons 250 and your 300? (hopefully you haven't gotten sick of that question already) I know even the 250's are fully capable. But I'd also like to use it to do some traveling, serious traveling. Yeah I know there are better things but dang if I didn't love my 250, it just didn't run 70-75 (verified not speedo) easily enough on the interstate. My KLR likes 70-72 if the 300 will do that comfortably, I think it might have to pick one up. Does the 300 "settle in" at cruising speeds significantly better than the 250?
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    No comparison, I have a 4-5 mile long hill close to Monticello, NY, highway 17W, the 300 will hold 75 in 6th up that hill and roll on throttle and it accellerates! Slowly but it goes faster. That was one up with a +1 CS sprocket too.

The 250 would do it at 70-75 with downshifts mandatory. Don't downshift, you drop speed like a stone.

I rode the 250 locally 2 up, forget about it. It will pull it but it just bogs untill you get above 7k. Again, I can ride 2 up and never exceed 7-8k and move faster than I need to. I just don't have to stretch the throttle cable like the 250.

Some cars struggle up it on the shoulder at 40 MPH, my old Dodge Caravan towing a tiny aluminum boat was one of them.

2 up the 250 can do it, but it lags and you feel the weight alot via throttle inputs. With taller gearing, the 300 really isn't even affected. I was chatting with my dealer yesterday and he was still surprised by the pull from the bottom just riding mine around the parking lot. The 300 moved the bike from what the 250 version is to a useable moto in every way powerwise. When you ride the 250 you accept certain things, not so on the 300.
  20. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All right, I've been following this thread since the beginning. Deliver your modded bike to my house for $3K and I'm in. I hate tinkering but I love that little 300. You seem to have it all worked out by now. It'll go nicely w/the big bikes and be a hoot to run-around and play on. It sounds like the mileage won't really be any better than my Versys. Bring it by and I'll give it a shot. I'm in Atlanta. Shall I wait up for you?