Owner of ElDorado Cycle dies in crash

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by brenter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry that a way to help a fellow rider thru a tough stretch did not happen for Randy, I hope where he rides now, the roads are curvy, the sky's blue, and the trip long and rewarding.

We lost a dorm mate on college, he did give out signs for a couple of weeks, but we were young, and no one picked up on it. Later in life, I had a close friend that had the same signs, and I helped get him into consoling. I still have my friend to enjoy. Maybe that helps even out the Karma for the first one. If any of you see someone having a hard time, be a friend, it is so worth it. Godspeed Randy.

Rod
  2. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    God knows that there are countless ones of us that would have helped him had we known there was a problem. His son is crushed. He was one of the most driven men I have ever known and damn good at what he did. I just talked to him the Friday before when I had new tires put on my bike. Everything seemed fine at that point. I am just sick over his death and will miss him greatly!!!
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not mean to imply anyone was derelict in their duty. Suicide is hard to detect/anticipate. If you have any suspicions, please see if there is a way you can help. sometimes you can't. And you would never want to have someone committed and find out you were wrong.
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be better than not committing them and finding out you were wrong.
  5. catzass

catzass Triple Pilot

Oddometer:
    Damn! hated to hear this. Randy was my dealer and damn nice guy. Because of the way he had treated me in the past I knew just who to go see when I was buying a new tiger last spring. God speed buddy.
  6. findlj

findlj How much fun is that

Oddometer:
    I'd competed with/against Randy in trials for many years in the 70's and 80's. He was a great rider, a true competitor and, most of all, a real sportsman. He was always quick with a compliment or a joke, ready to help another rider with either mechanical or technical riding help if you asked him.

After a 25 year hiatus, I bought my Tiger 800 XC from him in Oct. '11. Love my Triumph, but I bought the bike because it was Randy. I found out about his death today when I called the shop to talk to him. After I somewhat recovered, I jumped on the Tiger and took a ride. I think Randy would have wanted that.

I'll miss you buddy. :waysad
  7. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad I finally bought a bike from Randy after all these years of talking bikes and trading stories. We had just exchanged e-mails that morning about the modifications he was doing to it for me. I was blessed to be able to pick up the Thruxton and ride it to the visitation and services in honor of him.

Randy worked on my 79 CBX in his garage long, long ago and after he put a particularly aggressive 6 into 1 pipe on it, he told me he could here me coming from halfway across town! In all my years in the military and away from El Dorado Springs, I always tried to stop by and say 'Hi!' when I was home, it was a 'must do' for me each time. Randy always liked hearing my stories and the last time I was back, I told him how proud I was to know him, a local boy who made it big. I was proud to know a guy who had made it on his own and built a business that had so many employees who all depended on him. Sheesh. We must have talked for hours about our different motorcycle experiences.

I know, because he told me, he could have moved to more lucrative business locations several times, but El Dorado Springs was his home and he enjoyed it there.
    I will miss you Randy. May the wind always be in your face and you ride into the hereafter.

I proudly add Randy's Thruxton to my sig below.
  8. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There. Signature adjusted. Godspeed Randy.
  9. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    RIP,
    I had been in to his shop in May and he stayed after hours on a Saturday to let me test ride a new 800XC. You could tell he was a guy who loved Motorcycles. I would drive the extra miles any day to support a shop like his. Hope his family carries on the tradition he started.