What boot are you riding with?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SauceSquatch, Oct 15, 2013.

1. NHKTM990

NHKTM990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garne G Adventures For Me. Good Balance Of Price, Protection And Walkability.
  2. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars Toucan Tech series Gortex adventure boot.

Love it.
  3. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    I've never regretted the stupid money I spent for my Crossfires. Ever.

Not waterproof. Not hiking boots but better than you'd think for walking short distances. Noisy. Can't wear em on the VFR.

Don't care.

I've taken some huge hits in these boots and simply feel unprotected in anything else, especially on the big KTM.

SA
  5. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    SIDI Crossfires SRS. most comfortable boot i have ever owned. My next will be Garne SG-12.

[​IMG]

laters,

laramie :beer
  6. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt those crossfires are incredible looking, just out of my price range. I am however talking myself into the Gaerne SG-10's... Which are out of my price range too :lol3
  7. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Sidi Adventure Goretex which are fantastic as already mentioned. But for my last trip in the heat, biking and hiking in the mountains of Southern Europe I took these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-cr-4-gore-tex-xcr-boot

and wore a set of hard armoured dainese knee/shin pads. This combination worked really well for me both on and off the bike. Went through a couple of proper torrential days early in the trip and, paired with some cheap gaiters to keep the water out of the top of the boot, my feet stayed bone dry.
  8. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars Tech series with All Terrain Soles ( mine are older Tech 4, but similar to newer Tech 3). For rough, rocky off road I like these. They're a lighter motocross style all purpose riding boot. I clean and spray the stitching with sealant when I can. Good protection, not too stiff and have lasted 5 years in my rotation. I can wear them all day long with minimal walking, short hiking required.

Sidi On Road Gortex for light off road terrain combined with foot touring. These boots are incredibly comfortable. They're thick leather with extra layered/ padded ankle and shin support. These have a strong shank along with a great thick boot sole with the right deep tread. I've used Alpinestars waterproofing boot polish and they keep dry and warm to the high 30's with a single layer riding sock.

Alpinestars Octane Supermoto style ankle boots. These are my commuting, canyon carving and light fireroading boots. Velcro shorty tabs and an inner zip allow super quick and easy access ( major feature). These are extremely easy to fit under a jean. And they stay under cover when running errands or stopping off at the tavern on the route back from the canyons. Their treated leather to handle road grime, soot or oil build up and clean up easy. The inner soles wear quickly and a gel replacement goes a long way here. Alpinestars makes a nice light desert hiker adventure boot that's popular with the Southern Hemi adventure crowd.

All of the Sidi boot line is top notch. Their boots set the bar and you can't go wrong with any of their products.

Ankles are precious here. Also even more delicate are knee caps. I buy riding jeans with CE knee pad inserts, and have other jeans stitched with pockets to fit the CE pads. An ankle can repair itself... A knee cap cannot.

A best piece of advice I adhere to off this sight is to pack good light weight comfortable hiking shoes on long adventure rides if worst case after a breakdown... you have to hoof it back to civilization.

Just more fast food for thought...
  9. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Sidi Adventure Rains. (Not the goretex) Best boots I have had to date an they are extremely waterproof even though they are not the GoreTex model.
  10. Irlander

Irlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the "Forma Adventure" boot. Seriously comfortable, waterproof and shin protection.
    Since I bought them I have tried them out in some very heavy rain, and feet stay nice and dry. I haven't done enough off roading to be able to say how they measure up there. I
    also find that it takes only seconds to get them on and off - no zips.
  11. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Touring: sidi canyons
    Dual sporting: Astars tech 8
  12. GVWR

GVWR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of Daytona boots, I have some custom made Evo sport GTX boots for the summer and Trans Open GTX for off road and winter (pretty indestructible and still water proof after 100K km)
    [​IMG]
  13. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    I'm sporting these:
    [​IMG]
    After 2 years and about 30k km they're stll waterproof (goretex) and comfy as hell.
    The straps are a bit fiddley but no problem once you get your head around them and the plastic 'gear-change' protection seems to assume you change gear with your foot apposed to your toe but all in all a great boot.
    That said I want Sidi Adventure's next.
  14. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidi Crossfires here too , I have a few pairs of them now and I couldn't see myself wearing anything else.[​IMG]
  15. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Gaerne SG10.
  16. Tafella

Tafella Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars tech7
    Very nice boot, protective and comfy to wear and walk with.

[​IMG]
  17. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    When riding off-road I wear the Sidi Crossfires. For touring, I have the Sidi Adventure Goretex. One thing I learned about waterproof boots is that rating works both ways.
  18. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently riding in Icon Patrol boots. Waterproof, easy on and off comfrotable to walk in.

[​IMG]

I'm looking to buy some new boots for my up coming Baja ride next spring. Don't have any off road boots yet, nor much dirt experience.
    I have been looking at the Thor Blitz boots they are priced right and they come in 2 styles MX and ATV.
    [​IMG]
    The only difference between the 2 is the sole. The ATV boot has a heavy lug tread and MX not.
    Leaning towards the ATV boot, I like the idea of more tread when I have to put my foot down or have a small hike.
    But I have offroad pegs on bike and afraid the tread on sole will make it difficult to move foot around on pegs off roading.

Any advise from out there, tread or no tread ?

Do we really need much tread at all when doing the adventure and only minimal off road stuff?
  19. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just switched from Tech8 to Sidi Crossfire, and will never return.

For off road: Sidi Crossfire.

For touring: Sidi Crossfire.
  20. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    +1, best boots I've ever worn.

The only time I've had an issue with them was riding outside of Moab last July. Riding around the White Rim Trail one day, where there is absolutely no shade for about 100 miles, I poached both my legs from the shin down. It was close to 110 degF, and my sweat soaked the boots from the inside. That, combined with the direct sunlight on my boots all day long, gave me 2nd degree burn blisters all over my lower legs.

Really strange. Never thought that could happen, but it did. I can't blame the boots for that happening though. Sidi Crossfire are what I wear when dirt riding or dualsport touring.