Whitewater rafting?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by IDScarecrow, Feb 17, 2014.

1. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am planning a rafting trip for my brothers and father. We know nothing about rafting, so we need a guided trip. There are six of us total. Interested in something 3-5 days. The more remote the better. Would love to have a private trip but my internet searching shows that is unlikely (usually min group size of 8-10, and not sure we are willing to pay for seats that we wouldn't fill). Trip will probably have to be in Sept due to schedule coordination.

Any recommendations for rivers or outfitters? I am based in Spokane, but everyone else is scattered around the country. While it would be nice to be reasonable driving range from Spokane, we would consider farther.

Thanks!
  2. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower Salmon would be my first recommendation.

the put-in is close to White Bird Idaho. Take out on the Snake river at the confluence with the Grande Ronde.
    Days on the river fit your time line.
    The LS has some of the best beaches for camping.
    Richard
  3. richard.bessey

richard.bessey Hard Rider

Oddometer:
    Years ago, my brother and I did a one day trip just upriver from Riggins Idaho.
    We did a one day trip with a group of 5 total.
    The guide we used no longer exists but Epleys was a big outfitter in town:
    http://www.epleys.com/
    It was a lot of fun, highly recommended.
  4. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    I second the Lower Salmon, it is great summer weather in September, great fishing, if you go after the 15th you can shoot chukar, some fun whitewater, not far from Spokane.
    It isn't the most remote river out there but it is pretty remote. There is no road for the majority of it and you get to camp on big sand beaches that you will have all to your self.
    I strongly recommend Aggipah for an outfitter. http://www.aggipah.com/ The owner will be on the trip with you and maybe his son or daughter and maybe even my dad. Hell, if you are really lucky I might even be there! They try to schedule the trip for 4 or 5 days over a weekend so it is easier for everyone to get the time off work. The owner, Bill Bernt, is very knowledgeable about history and nature, he is a great story teller and will take very good care of you. I guided a trip down there with him a couple years ago and there were only 6 guests I think so you can probably get a trip that is just your family.
    Any outfitter you go with will be good though. Have fun!
  5. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    Might want to look into trips in the Bob Marshall. Middle and South Forks of the Flathead River both offer what you are looking for. As do several rivers outside the wilderness here in western MT.

And of course there's always my beloved Kootenai. You can do a 2 or 3 night here and be very remote through epic scenery. Only thing is we don't guided them. Not a lot of white water on this river. We just rent the rafts and gear to do it your selfers. Pretty easy really and a lot more affordable than a big guided expedition or pack in.

Check our site or PM me if I can help.

And if you really want SERIOUSLY remote white water...the Owyhee is about as good as it gets. Short season but epic.
  6. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    In Sept. the Lower Salmon (Riggins down to Heller Bar) would pby be the best bet for just a raft trip. That time of the year the Steelhead fishing is most likely not hot - to early - the Smallmouth fishing is tapering off, but the daytime temps are nicer and it's not cold at night yet. Then of course there's always the chance for a 7 or 9 foot sturgeon.:clap

You might try an outfit out of Riggins called Rubicon Rafting. The owner's name is Lenard (yes, that's the way its spelled) Hansen and he's ALL for the customer. He'll do any size trip you want, from 1 on 1 to 25 people or bigger. He's a local guy now that moved to Riggins after "retiring" from a real job.:lol3

There's lots of white water, good fishing and it's a really neat experience. Put in (like someone said above) is typically at Hammer Creek, close to Whitebird. The take out is at Heller Bar, above Lewiston, ID. on the Snake.

4r
  7. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    In Sept. the Lower Salmon (Riggins down to Heller Bar) would pby be the best bet for just a raft trip. That time of the year the Steelhead fishing is most likely not hot - to early - the Smallmouth fishing is tapering off, but the daytime temps are nicer and it's not cold at night yet. Then of course there's always the chance for a 7 or 9 foot sturgeon.:clap

You might try an outfit out of Riggins called Rubicon Rafting. The owner's name is Lenard (yes, that's the way its spelled) Hansen and he's ALL for the customer. He'll do any size trip you want, from 1 on 1 to 25 people or bigger. He's a local guy now that moved to Riggins after "retiring" from a real job.:lol3

There's lots of white water, good fishing and it's a really neat experience. Put in (like someone said above) is typically at Hammer Creek, close to Whitebird. The take out is at Heller Bar, above Lewiston, ID. on the Snake.

208-870-2230
    info@rubiconrafting.com
    Lenard Hansen

4r
  8. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    My first raft trip was a class 3 in 1974. My first white water boat was an '87 & I've been doing it ever since. Some of the fun rivers can be hard to get on w/o a guided trip because of permits. I'd look into the lower Salmon. I'd recommend mackayriver.com for an outfitter.
  9. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    I don't think Mackay has a license that goes down the "lower Salmon" any further than Cary Creek, which is still above Riggins.

The lower Salmon referred to here (at least by me :wink:) is below Riggins on the river and pretty generally considered to start about Hammer Creek, which is close to White Bird. That time of year the colder weather starts to set in higher up the river.

just sayin

4r
  10. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:

The lower salmon was my first river trip sometime in the mid 1970's. That trip was the second of two with the primary purpose of removing old tires that had been dumped in the canyon. There were hundreds. Project organized by the University of Oregon Outdoor Program.
    I lived for river trips after that. Worked all winter so I could take summers' off to float.
    Richard
  12. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Mackay wasn't on the lower. We ran into him in 2012 on the M/F. He helped us with a medivac situation. He had a satellite phone.
    Thanks for the correction.
  13. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add to your options, the Thompson (Okanagon) finally comes down to about 20,000 cfs by September . Only place I remember ever seeing a herd of mountain goats spread out along the side of a cliff from my kayak.
  14. RallyHikes

RallyHikes n00b

Oddometer:

I agree, Ouzel has the most professional and skilled guides on the river. The Lower Salmon would be an ideal trip. Feel free to pm if you have any questions about them, as I used to guide for them!
  15. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try Holiday @ http://www.bikeraft.com/
    Done a few trips with them. Cataract Canyon out of Moab is a good one. Very scenic with white water sections. About as remote as you can get.