Hacking West by West: The TAT….

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again the timing didn't work out between us. You get that Eurovan and come through these parts let me know, I have an all wheel drive Astro that I use as a camper and I can show you some good places to go with the vans also. If you still have the sidecar next Spring then there is always the U.S.C.A. National in Arkansas also.
  2. ADHD

ADHD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic report! I live in Leland myself and see you out on that gorgeous rig every once in a while. Can't wait to read next one!
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi ADHD

Thank you for reading my Ride Report and wishing for my next one, however I have "been there, done that"..and passed my rig to someone else who will continue his/her travels on 'Brunhilde'....:clap.

Life goes on, down the next Horizon

[​IMG]
  4. mightymatt43

mightymatt43 URALiNEED

Oddometer:
    i figure i ought to weigh in a little bit on this seeing as i was mentioned.

i only have experience with CSM rigs (i don't believe i've ever even seen one from Jay) but ours is pretty freaking tough. we did have a few issues as we had a HEAVY "touring" rig built as opposed to a more DS style rig, this is largely our fault. we've actually already been in contact with Claude and are planning on doing some mods that will definitely make a difference. as far as the bike goes, however - the fact that our 1200 has tugged along a seriously heavy rig along these roads with only one issue of an oil leak (due to a shared engine bolt with the subframe of the sidecar)... i'm blown away. nothing but impressed with the BMW.

as elmer said, knowing your rig and having the correct tools is most of the battle. plus, being able to plan for your particular riding style before-hand is huge - something we failed to do down here in SA.

any rig is going to have a few hiccups given tough circumstances, but my view is that i spent the money to beat the crap out of it on an adventure. the TAT is waiting!
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hey Elmer.

I have been kinda busy recently, but I just found your Ride Report.
    Good for you to having gotten some miles under your wheels.

Stay well friend.
    Q~
  6. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yo.... busy as a bee !? Questor...of course been following you too although you did so many ride reports, I got lost.

Used your "tracks" on the Eastern TAT but had to update with Sam the newer Colorado tracks. Yep, got plenty of miles under the Hack for now and would like to finish the Western TAT via solo bike instead of diverting too many tracks on the 60" wide Hack. Since the Hack is now in different hands I have yet to contemplate what's up my sleeve with finishing the bucket list of rides: Western TAT; CDT(CDR); Baie St. James before I hang up my boots:eek1.

cheers..
  7. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Hola Mattie and Team...

Glad you chimed in...and remember this was no criticism regarding your "BigBoy's" girth, just an analysis of some consequence when one goes pretty "big" and heavy although doable! Glad you mentioned the durability and ruggedness of the machine as many want to do the same with the Ural ?? One guy just mentioned about hauling a #576 trailer behind the Ural and I nixed the idea. You have be now learned the ropes with what works and what does not work too well...you're experienced offroad travelers now...we seek your opinion...You both been on the Ural from Texas > Inuvik, NWT > Texas..now BMW to SA and back. Book writing quality and photography beyond imagination...wooo...You've been guinea pigs for all Sidecar manufacturers..what works and what doesn't they emulate...We all on ADV and the Hack naive congratulate you both on such an endeavor.

Then for the rest, stay healthy, safe and give your Kristen a :crash from me!

Cheers, ELMER
  8. VespaMamma

VespaMamma Shutterbug

Oddometer:
    My life with Elmer has been one big adventure!! What a great ride we've had. I've been asked what it is like to ride in the hack. I will say that it takes a little getting used to after all I was used to riding as a pillion, however, having complete trust and faith in Elmer as a ride partner, I had no problems and what a wonderful ride it has been!! Did I cry when we put the bike up for sale.....YES!! :cry:cry:cry ...like he said...we're onto another adventure. I highly doubt Elmer will be without a 2-wheeler so keep your eyes posted. Thank you all for sticking with us. It's been fantastic reading everyone's adventure, small or big!! :freaky
  9. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like you had a fun trip. :D There TAT trips always grab my attention. It sounds like some of the TAT route must run thru some of the same area in Nevada that I have been exploring the last couple summers.

Colorado look beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your journey.